Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2023, 07:43 AM   #1
Texas Steve

Travel Trailer Inspections in Texas

I saw this on another forum today about State Inspections on Travel Trailers in Texas:

Texas Safety Inspection change (Sept 2023)
Great news for folks in Texas! Effective 9/1/23 you can "self certify" your inspection in order to get your state registration for trailers >7500lbs.

Updated state regs found here:
https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/ve...th-legislation

New form found here:
https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/...es/VTR-269.pdf:
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 08:03 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Neither link works for me. First one says page not found and 2nd link says page forbidden?

As I understand it as told to me by the inspection station and the DMV office this takes effect in 2025. Self certification can be done if you are out of state at the time to register but has to be done once you return to the state (within 3 days).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 08:15 AM   #3
gearhead

Not surprised. Inspection for mine was lights and look at tires. The last few years it was pretty weak. Checked lights and looked at tires and….oh I recognize you, no need for the around the block brake check. I got about what I paid for $7 I think.
The inspection station closed a few weeks ago. Owner said it wasn’t worth it. Didn’t make enough money to keep the lights on. Used to they could make a few bucks adjusting headlights, etc. Now it’s pass or fail.
I bet the state stops all inspections soon. Ain’t worth it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 08:37 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

They stop in 2025 with the exception of emissions testing etc. in the metro areas. Lots of states don't do them and in our neck of the woods it's like yours; pull in, check the lights etc. and that's about it. Problem is here the only inspection stations have a little bay door fronting onto a street or highway which is impossible to get an RV into. I've taken mine 60 miles to the dealership to have it done so I will be glad for them to be gone. Thought the little "self certification" was going to be the answer because we are out of state usually when mine comes due but the head of the DMV office here said as soon as I got back into the state it had to be inspected....and I can't get a registration without it. Mine is sitting in the barn uninspected and unregistered at the moment because we can't go anywhere...heck, it may sit there until 2025, just don't know.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel trailer