Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2019, 05:38 AM   #1
LewisB

Add water? - Raptor 353TS

We just took delivery of a new 2018 Raptor 353TS - love this trailer! Our prior unit was a 2008 Raptor 3712TS. On the new unit, fresh water is added using a hose connection in the "water closet" on the driver's side pass-through storage area. It has a "City water/fill tank" valve - everything works correctly. The tank overflow is on the passenger side of the trailer.

My question is not unique to this trailer: How does one manually add water when needed? Say you are boon-docking and want to supplement your water supply using a 5 gallon jug. How can you poor water into what appears to be a closed system?

Has anyone encountered this issue?
Thanks for your response.
Brad
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:52 AM   #2
Brentw

Not familiar with your exact unit, keep looking... there is likely a gravity fill station behind an access door.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:11 AM   #3
Hamops

I believe that I have the same water valve setup as you. I use a 45 USG water bladder and 12V Pony pump to transfer water to our Fresh water tank. Send a PM and I'll send you pictures of my setup.
Isspro EGT & Boost Gauges, Rear View Camera System, Prodigy Controller. Custom Auxiliary Fuel System
2014 Keystone Avalanche 295RL
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:48 AM   #4
LewisB

Thanks for your replies! I've been through every compartment and don't believe a "gravity fill" port exists for the water tank. I do have a 35 gallon plastic tank that fits in the back of my truck. I carry a "spare" Shurflo demand type water pump for the trailer that I have wired up for the 7 wire trailer plug and can use it to pump water from the plastic tank to the trailer - we've done that before.

However, what I was looking for was something a little less complex. In a National Forest camp ground there is often water available at a central spigot where campers can fill a 5 gallon jug - useful for adding a little to your supply over several days. It just seems odd to me that the trailer has no simple way to add water other than through a pressurized hose system. Guess I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks again.
Brad
2017 F350 DRW
2018 Raptor 353TS
2019 Can Am Maverick XRC
Old 05-21-2019, 05:03 AM   #5
Hammond Bob

I have a newer Montana fifth-wheel that also has a "city water/fill tank lever in the control panel. On the rear backside of my RV (near my fresh water tank) there is a black plastic "overflow" vent where the water comes out if I fill the fresh tank too much. At least on my Montana, that plastic vent cap slides up and off - revealing a 2" manual fill hose if you need it. Not sure if your RV is similar in design, but I'm thinking Keystone may use the same parts in their entire family of RVs to cut cost. Hope this helps!
Hammond Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:05 AM   #6
NH_Bulldog

I suspect that at some point, a focus group for Keystone decided that it wasn't necessary for what ever reason, so they eliminated that feature on your model.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:14 AM   #7
GeekSquadOfUn

The fresh water fill inlet is gone.

But I have read there is some way to use the Winterizing port, first attach short hose, turn Winterizing ON, other lever to Fill, and stick the hose in your 5 gal container to suck the water out, the water will then be diverted to your fresh water tank...

Maybe someone can chime in to confirm. But it makes sense...
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:14 AM   #8
LewisB

Solved! Adding water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammond Bob View Post
I have a newer Montana fifth-wheel that also has a "city water/fill tank lever in the control panel. On the rear backside of my RV (near my fresh water tank) there is a black plastic "overflow" vent where the water comes out if I fill the fresh tank too much. At least on my Montana, that plastic vent cap slides up and off - revealing a 2" manual fill hose if you need it. Not sure if your RV is similar in design, but I'm thinking Keystone may use the same parts in their entire family of RVs to cut cost. Hope this helps!
Bob,
Great info Bob. You are absolutely correct! The overflow cap slides up and off revealing a 1" line that should accommodate a smaller (e.g. 5 gallon jug) that has a spout. It even has a garden hose type screen that can be removed.

I never would have found this without your help! Great job - thanks again to the forum and all of the excellent members who graciously provide useful information!

Brad
2017 F350 DRW
2018 Raptor 353TS
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport
Old 05-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #9
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Bob,
Great info Bob. You are absolutely correct! The overflow cap slides up and off revealing a 1" line that should accommodate a smaller (e.g. 5 gallon jug) that has a spout. It even has a garden hose type screen that can be removed.

I never would have found this without your help! Great job - thanks again to the forum and all of the excellent members who graciously provide useful information!

Brad
2017 F350 DRW
2018 Raptor 353TS
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport
Brad, somewhat off topic but this vent is also where you add your chlorine solution when you want to sanitize your fresh water system.
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:00 PM   #10
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
Brad, somewhat off topic but this vent is also where you add your chlorine solution when you want to sanitize your fresh water system.
Excellent point! And right down the middle of the topic alley.
Thanks,
Old 05-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #11
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Bob,

You can do this, but be careful, if yours is like mine, that port and the hose connected to it on the inside, was really more designed to vent air than to handle incoming water, if you fill from a high pressure hose, or shove a spout or funnel of some kind in there, and you're a little too rough, it would be easy to dislodge the hose.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #12
Spletbr

Interesting. Has anyone tried using this overflow? There should be a way to get water from a 5 gallon jug(s) into the tank without using a pump. And had to remove the overflow cap to expose the pipe?
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #13
beeje

Our unit has the gravity fill port. Even still, it is tough to lift 5 gallons up to pour in. I have done as posted earlier and sucked it from the container through the winterizing port. It works just fine, just a little slow.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raptor, water