Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2019, 04:50 PM   #41
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotyetMHCowner View Post

I have an issue with whatever causes the "out of stroke" & "retract all jacks" problem that causes such a fuss at the campground.
the error that causes out of stroke is an operator error, I have had it twice now and it is because I didn't put extra blocks under the jacks that are going to extend to much and hit the end of there travel. leveling the tires wont prevent it you also have to add blocks accordingly to the jacks that are going to need it.

I carry 10, 2x10 chunks in my trailer just for this reason now as I camp in a lot of uneven areas.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #42
MarkEHansen

That might be true in your case, but isn't it also possible that some have problems which aren't due to operator error? In the cases where I received Out of Stroke, I just pushed auto level again and it worked. Is that operator error? I think if the thing can level, it should have leveled the first time.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:20 PM   #43
jsb5717

Yeah, definately a glitch in the firmware. I have gotten the same error just after unhooking from the truck and pushed Auto Level on reasonably level ground and before the rear jacks even start to descend. A second push seems to work though so not devistating.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:26 AM   #44
NotyetMHCowner

I have even got the "out of stroke" error on one of the rear jacks and it wasnt even down touching the 3 - 2"x12" I had under it. It has never been out of stroke, ever, yet that is the error I always get.

I am glad they apparently have made them better with the newer ones. I just wish they would have replaced my controller with a new one. I'll just have to live with it from now on. I am going to get some Andersen wedge levelers and a big level to attach to the pin box to help with getting it level before auto leveling. haha
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:29 AM   #45
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm not sure where you heard that, but shore power 12VDC output from the converter/charger is upwards of 25-75 amps at 13.6 VDC, depending on the other 12 volt load on the converter. That's significantly MORE amperage than you'll ever get through the tow vehicle "7 pin plug".....
That statement ^^^^^^ is 100% accurate
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:44 AM   #46
NotyetMHCowner

That's good to know. I got bad information years ago. I will start hooking up shore power before auto leveling from now on instead of using the truck. Thanks!!

Trucks:
Old 06-03-2019, 07:00 AM   #47
xrated

Plugging in shore power is my first item of business when I land in a spot. Then I chock the wheels and start unhitching.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #48
NotyetMHCowner

I played with it a little today after work and screwed it up again! I was checking voltages plugged in, battery only, and hooked to TV. I retracted the front jacks all the way and bam, the error. Whats bad is the error said "ERROR RR Jack" "Manually Retract all jacks" "or hold RETRACT to AUTO RETRACT". Now what sucks about this is that it wont do a damn thing else until you retract all jacks. The fronts were already retracted (I did have the rear jacks down 6 inches or so). After holding the retract button, as soon as it realized that the front jacks were already retracted, it wouldn't clear the error or retract the rear jacks. So I tried to extend the front jacks at least 6 inches but it would not run both of them. Part of the time it ran the FR and sometimes the FL. A couple of times it ran both. I had to get the floor jack out and help the side that wasn't extending. After a while I got them out about 6 inches and after retracting all of them to a hard stop, then all was fine. Just like every other time.

One thing I noticed was my front stroke was about about .5" difference between the two front jacks. When I was originally retracting them, I noticed one stopped before the other one. Once the second one bottomed out, that is when I got the error.

This was done on my perfectly level pad. And so far the voltages do look better on shore power.

Trucks:
Old 06-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #49
Javi

Quote:
I played with it a little today after work and screwed it up again! I was checking voltages plugged in, battery only, and hooked to TV. I retracted the front jacks all the way and bam, the error. Whats bad is the error said "ERROR RR Jack" "Manually Retract all jacks" "or hold RETRACT to AUTO RETRACT". Now what sucks about this is that it wont do a damn thing else until you retract all jacks. The fronts were already retracted (I did have the rear jacks down 6 inches or so). After holding the retract button, as soon as it realized that the front jacks were already retracted, it wouldn't clear the error or retract the rear jacks. So I tried to extend the front jacks at least 6 inches but it would not run both of them. Part of the time it ran the FR and sometimes the FL. A couple of times it ran both. I had to get the floor jack out and help the side that wasn't extending. After a while I got them out about 6 inches and after retracting all of them to a hard stop, then all was fine. Just like every other time.

One thing I noticed was my front stroke was about about .5" difference between the two front jacks. When I was originally retracting them, I noticed one stopped before the other one. Once the second one bottomed out, that is when I got the error.

This was done on my perfectly level pad. And so far the voltages do look better on shore power.
Sounds like you need to recalibrate the system. I've had to do that once in 5 years with mine..
Old 06-06-2019, 05:26 AM   #50
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
That might be true in your case, but isn't it also possible that some have problems which aren't due to operator error? In the cases where I received Out of Stroke, I just pushed auto level again and it worked. Is that operator error? I think if the thing can level, it should have leveled the first time.
that's a weird one, sounds like it might have been a glitch. when I read the manual, the only way to clear a "out of stroke" is to manually retract all jacks and start again. and I had to do them one at a time. for me it also meant putting the truck back under the 5th wheel. the first time before I could fix it I had to go to a local hardware store and buy some more blocking

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:02 AM   #51
NotyetMHCowner

A little bit of an update to my situation, I finally got the "out of stroke" error that did NOT require to retract all the jacks. The front jacks were actually out of stroke. It gave me the error, told me to acknowledge by pressing "enter", then it cleared. Just like it is supposed to.

So all these times, when I have got the "out of stroke" error, it probably was low voltage instead. Why in the world would it not just say that!

I cant wait to go Lithium instead of lead acid so my voltages will be higher.

Trucks:
Old 10-15-2019, 02:52 AM   #52
NotyetMHCowner

Update again, We received the "out of stroke" twice last weekend and both times it was truly out of stroke. It let me press enter to acknowledge and cleared the error. So all these other times it was probably low voltage. But instead of saying low voltage, it would say "out of stroke". That's really helpful when trying to diagnose.

By the way, both campgrounds this past weekend were down hill towards the truck. I put the manual part of the jacks down all the way to the ground, but to level, it extended the front jacks all the way. The only way to correct this is to drive the rear tires of the truck up on blocks so as to get the camper nose higher before un-hooking.

Trucks:
Old 10-15-2019, 05:56 AM   #53
OregonDuck

Quote:
Update again, We received the "out of stroke" twice last weekend and both times it was truly out of stroke. It let me press enter to acknowledge and cleared the error. So all these other times it was probably low voltage. But instead of saying low voltage, it would say "out of stroke". That's really helpful when trying to diagnose.

By the way, both campgrounds this past weekend were down hill towards the truck. I put the manual part of the jacks down all the way to the ground, but to level, it extended the front jacks all the way. The only way to correct this is to drive the rear tires of the truck up on blocks so as to get the camper nose higher before un-hooking.
Just out of curiosity, which jack or jacks were out of stroke? You mention lowering the front manual jacks all the way to the ground. I did this mistakenly as well when I first brought home my rig. When you do this, the auto level cannot drop the front down to begin the leveling process, which in turn leaves the rear jacks needing to over extend to compensate.
OregonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #54
NotyetMHCowner

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The front jacks were out of stroke because of having to raise so high to get level. The site ran downhill from rear to front. I have a small level I use to ensure I raise the front high enough for the auto level to work. The front has to be just above level for auto level to work. Also both sites were downhill on the left side, so during the auto level process the left rear had to raise to get level side to side. By doing this the front left had to raise higher to get level, then when out of stroke.

Luckily each time it has done this, the camper was almost level anyway and we just live with it. The problem is the jacks wont really extend far enough for unlevel sites.

Trucks:
Old 10-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #55
MarkEHansen

We always place pads under the two jacks on the low side. We have those little yellow stackable ones. Our storage area is really not level and we just put two or three under each low-side pad and it levels just fine. Without the pads, we were getting out of stroke errors.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:16 AM   #56
NotyetMHCowner

I have 3 2"x12" screwed together for the rear jacks (since they are short and have no manual extensions) and 1 2"x12" for the front jacks. I have added additional 2"x12" when its been really bad but not usually. Its just a shame that apparently this is only a problem with the electric Ground Control. The hydraulic Level Up works great no matter how unlevel, from what I have heard.

Trucks:
Old 10-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #57
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
We always place pads under the two jacks on the low side. We have those little yellow stackable ones. Our storage area is really not level and we just put two or three under each low-side pad and it levels just fine. Without the pads, we were getting out of stroke errors.
Exactly what I did.
There were times that had to use all or most of the Lynx Levelers on the front jacks. If you always park where it's semi level there's no blocks required, but at some point they will definitely be mandatory & the stackable plastic ones were lightest easiest to handle or store. I had 3 sets of them & there were spots that I'd have to use most or all of them on the low side.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #58
MarkEHansen

We have a bumper pull trailer and I found that the higher the tongue is when starting the leveling process, the more chance you have of running "out of stroke". I was lowering the nose before leveling, but then just started adding the blocks under the low side and now, no more problems.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #59
NotyetMHCowner

I also have a set of the plastic lynx levelers but havent used them in a while due to them being smaller than the feet on may jacks. Thats why I use 12"x12" wood blocks.

The Ground Control Auto Level system requires that the nose is higher than level before it starts, otherwise it will cause an error.

Trucks:
Old 10-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #60
MarkEHansen

That's not the experience I have, but I have a bumper pull, not a 5th Wheel.

Tags