Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 06:15 AM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

I think a lot of the lack of acceptance of the Andersen design/fabrication is "personal expectations of the product".

Think back to 2015 and all the "hoopla" that was going on about Ford changing the F150 from a "steel body truck" to a "military grade aluminum truck". Chevy produced commercials dropping toolboxes in their "better because it's a steel bed" and the discussions on here ranged from "It's junk and won't last" to "aluminum will make the truck impossible to repair and insurance will go sky high."......

The same occurred when television went from analog (2-13 VHF channels) to digital TV that required a "converter box" to use older sets. Now, try to find an old "tube type TV". But during the conversion, the "choice words" available to describe what the government was doing to us and how those "foreign TV's are taking over Westinghouse, Sylvania and RCA".....

I think a large part of the "lack of acceptance" is simply the human response to change.... It ain't like I expected, so it ain't gonna work and I ain't gonna spend my money on something new. Let someone else suffer the failures and losses, not me......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-02-2019, 06:28 AM   #42
Kzneft

I like how some say they like their 'A' hitch because it is so light. Really ? Most people never have to do an emergency stop towing 17,000+ of weight. Do you really want a hitch that is known for being light? I have my B&W Companion and love how heavily built is it. I feel secure knowing if I have to make an emergency stop my hitch is not going to collapse and sheer off the ball.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #43
dadnjesse

There is a reason tractor trailers use Fifth Wheel hitches, they haul more weight than we ever will. I'll stick with my Companion. Andersons 35 pound piece of Aluminum in my opinion is the weakest link. And their 5 million dollar insurance policy won't bring back your family.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:40 AM   #44
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
There is a reason tractor trailers use Fifth Wheel hitches, they haul more weight than we ever will. I'll stick with my Companion. Andersons 35 pound piece of Aluminum in my opinion is the weakest link. And their 5 million dollar insurance policy won't bring back your family.
Your Opinion is inaccurate it weighs 40 lbs of air craft Aluminum . The hitch has space to carry 5 gallons of def . I added the bar for the brake away cable . I have never seen where the Anderson came off but there is a thread going around where the failed hitch was his fault his excuse is so fishes it’s unbelievable. Have you been following the hitch threads .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	22280  
Old 06-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #45
MarknLeanna

Thanks, I appreciate your loyalty to B&W. They deserve credit for making an excellent product. The jury may still be out about the Anderson hitch, but so far I think they are doing ok. I have been unable to get an acceptable response from Anderson and am very frustrated. Will keep you posted.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:12 AM   #46
dadnjesse

I'm not being loyal to B&W but to fifthwheel hitches in general. Everyone on here states you need a dual wheel 1 ton truck with a Diesel engine and state of the art box steel frame and heavy duty brakes to tow theses trailers yet put these pieces of aluminum between these heavy duty trucks and heavy duty trailers and don't see the weak link.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:07 AM   #47
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
I'm not being loyal to B&W but to fifthwheel hitches in general. Everyone on here states you need a dual wheel 1 ton truck with a Diesel engine and state of the art box steel frame and heavy duty brakes to tow theses trailers yet put these pieces of aluminum between these heavy duty trucks and heavy duty trailers and don't see the weak link.
Very few people trolling it's like they started a Facebook dumpster fire and opened it up the next day to see what's in it .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #48
travelin texans

As I've said before, I had the B&W Companion which was a great product! I have NO experience with the Anderson, I looked at it very thorough when hitch shopiping, just couldn't get past how flimsy they look especially the lightweight "aircraft aluminum" one. I read all the reviews & testing on them & still had one question, they show vertical pressure test to xxx lbs but never show a horizontal test pressure. Once my 16.5k 5er is sat on it with 3500-4000 lb pin weight the vertical weight is not likely to increase by 2-3-4 times that weight, but a quick braking situation with that 16.5k pushing it will be substantial & they have no info for that.
For those that use & like them I'm glad, that's why there are so many types/brands on the market, so we can get what we want.
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #49
jsb5717

Sometimes dually, yes, sometimes not. It's not about how much steel is carrying your trailer. It's about the entire, documented, warranted, engineered, weight management system. Every piece in the mix needs to meet or exceed the requirements...that's all. Heavier doesn't necessarily mean stronger any more than lighter means weaker. Brands with good reputations sell products to people who feel better because they feel safer. Time and broad usage proves whether or not their claims are legit. Convenience and ease of use are also important but shouldn't trump safety. If it doesn't then buy what makes you feel safe and meets your needs.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
Old 06-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #50
Theoldroaddog

Tahoe tumbleweed:
Welcome to the forum. I will not comment on a specific hitch or weight ratings. I will talk about your driver’s license.

Most states require an upgrade to your driver’s license any time the towed vehicle has a GVWR over 12500 pounds. This will usually be a class A non commercial license.

Trying to give a heads up, your state may be different than mine. Here is Ca, the class A non commercial is required.

Enjoy the RV.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #51
dadnjesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Very few people trolling it's like they started a Facebook dumpster fire and opened it up the next day to see what's in it .
Seams you call everyone a troller that doesn't agree with you. I have been on here longer than you by the way, Just trolling
Old 06-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #52
Logan X

The link below is a list of states that have driver license requirements for RVs:

https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv...-requirements/
Old 06-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #53
dadnjesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
The link below is a list of states that have driver license requirements for RVs:

https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv...-requirements/
This list is most likely going to grow
Old 06-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #54
Harleydodge

In case someone hasn't seen this yet. IMHO, stick to Steel HD hitches.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #55
CaptnJohn

I have seen a few rv / frame warranties denied for using the Anderson. Not once did Anderson cover with their warranty. If you like it great, I'll even contribute some soda cans so they can make more. Sticking to B&W.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 06-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #56
travelin texans

I'll take the B&W any day of the week also!!!
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-20-2019, 11:38 PM   #57
John&Genny

On the picture posted above, I’ve seen this same one thrown at the various RV forums but with little information about what happened from the original poster. Some people speculate that the hitch frame was damaged causing the catastrophic failure. One thing to note, the RV did not separate from the truck even as bad as the hitch was crushed.

And I’ve found that no matter what people try to say, you will not convince me to change my hitch nor will I convince you to change yours. We each have our own reasons for picking the hitch we decided to go with, just the same as we did our trucks. I’m perfectly happy with my Andersen and most people who own one feel the same.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:57 AM   #58
jsb5717

This 5er detached from the truck...must have been the hitch...

The failed Andersen Hitch pic has been around a while and has never been explained that I've seen. Who knows what caused that failure? I don't believe at all that the arm just collapsed while strolling down the highway.

Most people who object to the Andersen Hitch do so out of a preconceived perception about aluminum vs steel without the benefit of any science or engineering data. That's fine. Everyone has a bias based on their own criteria for whatever equipment they use. Functionality, weight, ease-of-use, price, necessity, noise level, safety, etc...you bought a hitch based on your own perception of all of these variables.

Someone will spend well over $1000 on a hitch that is so heavy they have to spend more money on equipment just to lift it out of their truck. To me that's just nuts. But to each his own. Be safe and enjoy the ride
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MontyOnSide.jpg
Views:	4172
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	22373  
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
Old 06-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #59
Mongoose9400

I feel like if you have a long bed truck with puck system you can’t beat the B&W hitch. I’d hazard a guess it’s quicker to takeout and setup than the Anderson too. No tools required to torque a bolt. Plus, with the ability to separate the B&W hitch into two ~75lb pieces, it’s easily manageable. The B&W probably has a smaller footprint had well when stored. Now, I’m talking about my experiences with a Ford puck mount B&W.

On the other hand, if you have a short bed, then I could see the need for the Anderson over a slider hitch made by brand “x” to save weight and push the fiver back a couple inches for turning clearance.

2015 F-350 CC LB SRW Platinum
-Michelin LTX A/T 2 - LT275/65R20E Tires
-B&W Ford Puck Mount Companion Hitch
2018 Raptor Predator Series 3513P, GVWR 16,820 lbs.
-Carlisle All Steel CSL16 - ST235/80R16F Tires
Old 06-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #60
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I have seen a few rv / frame warranties denied for using the Anderson. Not once did Anderson cover with their warranty. If you like it great, I'll even contribute some soda cans so they can make more. Sticking to B&W.
Your soda cans won't work, they use aircraft aluminum. You can save your soda cans and contribute them to Ford in case you need a truck replacement in the future.
Closed Thread

Tags
hitch