Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2019, 09:08 PM   #1
cookinwitdiesel

Want to buy a model that is not locally available

So the wife and I have a nice trailer currently, honestly it works great - unless you also have a 2 year old you need to accommodate (and we dislike the tight bedroom which we get banished too when the kid needs to sleep).

We have looked at a few (hundred) floor plans online across the many brands and think we have zeroed in on the specific trailer that we like and want to go forward with long(er) term. This would be for several years of use until we go big leagues and get the monster toy hauler and DRW truck

The problem is that the nearest one on RVtrader is 3.5 hours away (doable but not ideal but also $10k more than the same trailer at other places) and the nearest CW one is 500 miles away. In a 150 mile radius we have like 3 Camping Worlds and that is who we got our current trailer through. Is there a way to request a dealership order or relocate a trailer for a prospective buyer? I know CarMax can do something similar for free if nearby or for a fee depending on how far the vehicle needs to go. The mid-atlantic is not the ideal place to be a buyer of RVs it would seem.

For those interested, we are looking at a Sprinter Limited 330kbs. I am a big fan of the rear living layout and this is essentially that but flipped 180 degrees. We also both really like the bathroom layout and the 2nd entrance (great when kid needs to sleep, we can still enter/exit the trailer as needed).

Thanks in advance!
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
John&Genny

Sure, you can order your RV from a dealership. That’s what we did with our Avalanche. The local dealer really didn’t want to make a good deal, and the one that did was located about 3 hours away. The one we wanted wasn’t in stock, so we just had them order it, getting exactly what we wanted. It took about 5 weeks for it to arrive which wasn’t bad, but if you go that route, be sure to ask about the expected delivery time.

Also, keep in mind that if you do get your RV from a out of town dealer, expect that you will need to return it to that dealership if you need to have any warranty work done. Most local dealers would probably flat out refuse to do it, or put you on the “When Hell Freezes Over” waiting list. It’s not right, not legal, but that’s the way it is.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:00 PM   #3
cookinwitdiesel

So you can order a trailer like you would a car? Do they need some sort of deposit or commitment up front?
Old 04-23-2019, 10:39 PM   #4
busterbrown

Yes, a deposit is usually required. I ordered my Bullet and it took approx 6 weeks to be delivered to the dealer. So expect that as your target date.

If you dont mind me asking? Why are you planning this intermediary coach when your intent is to upgrade to a TH? Considering the unit you have now is relatively new, it would seem more reasonable to just jump into what you really want. These coaches devalue like rocks thrown into the lake right when you drive them off the lot. Not trying to convince you otherwise. Just making you aware that really long, heavy, and expensivev TTs are difficult to unload as they target a very specific buyer. At 11500, lbs, they can be classified as best suited for the 1 ton TV segment, where owners usually prefer a 5th wheel chassis. Again, just making you aware.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:22 AM   #5
cookinwitdiesel

The main reason for the in between is money. The wife isn't comfortable making such a big jump and putting out the necessary money (or taking on the debt) so soon. We just bought our house last spring so she is still recovering from that.

We also want to put more use on our truck before trading it up so the hit there makes more sense (will have it completely paid off in the next month or so - well ahead of schedule). Based on our current trailer and weights, our truck should be able to comfortably pull the new trailer we are looking at (but obviously not any 5er).

That being said, we recognized quickly that if we are waiting several years to get a big 5er, the current trailer will not meet our needs in the interim.

I never had any illusions that these things would be investments, depreciation is expected but as long as we use it a lot and feel like we get value out of it, I don't mind the hit. We got our current trailer for a really good price ($19k new) so I am (foolishly?) optimistic that I won't take too much of a beating on it. I have done a fair amount of upgrades to it that should add some value too.

How much are these deposits normally? Are they (at least partially) refundable if you back out after seeing the trailer?

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2019, 06:24 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Only caution on factory ordered units, I find that factory ordered units come in with more issues than one “off the line”. Since it’s a “sold unit” the factories seem to slam those through. As long as your dealer has a decent tech and he/she does a proper and complete PDI, those extra issues should be dealt with before delivery.

Being in the business now, I personally would never order a unit.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:28 AM   #7
cookinwitdiesel

Thanks for that insight Chuck. I figured something like that may be the case.

Is there any likelihood someone like CampingWorld would "transfer" a unit between stores or will we have to take a road trip just to shop for a trailer?
Old 04-24-2019, 06:36 AM   #8
KSH

A simple call to camping world would answer that question..
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:54 AM   #9
travelin texans

Honestly you'll take a LOT less hit on your truck than on any rv, so I agree with others, get what rv/truck you want now, it'll be cheaper in the long run.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:59 AM   #10
cookinwitdiesel

But when the truck cost 3x what the RV does a small hit on the truck may equal a large hit on the trailer. Also, there will be a large gap between the price of an interim trailer vs the larger end-game trailer. My wife is weird about money and is just really intimidated by the price on the toy hauler she is sure she will want down the road.

What I am hearing then, is just bite off the bullet and skip to the end of the line and get the ideal set up now instead of taking steps in between?
Old 04-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Taking the big leap now might be beneficial, but, if you are planning on keeping the interim setup for several years as you said and your family is growing (2 yr. old now plus ??), I'm not so sure jumping to the end game now is the good choice. It's very possible you won't have any idea what the end game is because you have so many changing variable going forward at this stage of your life.

As far as finances, it depends on where you are and how much debt you want to take on. If you go to your "end game" you will be taking on a new fifth wheel AND a new truck to pull it - a big bite. A down side to me is that when you take that big step you may find that as the family grows what seemed ideal today might not be such a good idea 5-6 years from now and you will be regretting the decision.

It's all up to you and the DW, but my kids are grown and gone (51/46) but I do remember that at that time in our lives seems like circumstances changed on a monthly basis.

As far as trying to get a xfer of a unit; the dealer you want to transfer to has to carry the line of trailer that you want to xfer from the other dealer - or so I was told by CW in Tallahassee. It's possible that you could xfer a trailer from one CW to another CW regardless of the brand simply because they are under the same overall umbrella - I don't know. I am also a huge proponent of buying from a local dealer so that your issues can be addressed by the dealer you bought it from...hopefully near you. I'm also a fan of CW; they've always done right by me. I know others disagree and I'm sure my experiences don't reflect what others may have had.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:01 AM   #12
Canonman

X2 what Danny is saying. We have 2 CW's within 50 miles of us. Of course the one furthest away had the best price That said we were assured the closer CW would certainly take care of any issues as if it were purchased there. They did. However the closer service dept. was nowhere near as well trained or helpful as the folks at the CW we purchased from. So when we needed additional warranty repair work done we drove the 75 mile round trip to the service center we had confidence in. Moral of the story; it's all about the after sale service!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Proxy Falls 2018 (2 of 11).jpg
Views:	248
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	21528  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:02 AM   #13
cookinwitdiesel

I appreciate the insights Danny.

We are likely only having the one kid although if we have a 2nd, the toyhauler should easily have room for everyone. As long as we like camping (and we like it a lot so far ) the Toy Hauler should still remain a good option and fit for us I think and meet any future requirement I could think of (other than wanting something smaller someday lol).

We are well off financially so I am not as concerned there (my wife was raised never spending money so living with me has been a shock for her and an adjustment haha). I will be paying off the truck next month (9 months of ownership) with commission/tax refund/stocks vesting and once paid off, that will largely cover the new truck that would be needed. I am fine financing the difference there as needed. She seems more worried about the trailer than the truck. The NADA low retail price on my current trailer is $24k, I paid $19k so with a little luck/skill I should not have to take a bath there. The Sprinter we were considering is $40k, the Toy Hauler would be about $80k - so already half way there, maybe makes the most sense to just go 100%?

And yes, on the transfer of units, I did some calls this morning and the nearest CW that can sell Sprinters is a 2 hour drive from us - not terrible, they may be able to transfer, will get more info tomorrow. Our local CW (30 mins away) is primarily Cougars and something else I forgot - not on my radar.

That dealership 3.5 hours away (not a CW) is also a large GD dealer, so going up there we could assess ALL options at once which is nice (albeit not terribly local to us).

We have a lot to consider but the good news, the truck I would want is not available for a few more months (the new gen GMC 3500 HD) which forces me to think about this all a lot without actually doing anything drastic.

Thanks again for the advice all!
Old 04-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #14
AbHDToyHauler

I would consider used. Find what you want used if you can and let the first owner take the hit. We bought our toy hauler for 50% what it was new. (Was 4 years old) Was very well kept and our first year we had only one issue. The water heater which worked fine on gas but no go on Electric. Was simple high temp fuse. Was about $16 and fixed it right up. I agree on the truck. Get the right truck now and I were you i would consider selling your trailer first to see how low you will have to go to sell it. Could be a bit of an eye opener??
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

X3 "what Danny and Brian" said.....

There are far too many "changes in life plan" or "things we didn't consider" to make "firm, by golly we ain't changing" plans early in a marriage or even in life. Some things that most don't consider is kids and sports, dance, band, scouts, etc... As they grow and become individuals, their interests have a way of changing "family dynamics". I well remember months of soccer seasons, followed by football season, followed by basketball season followed by..... All of that interest by "only two kids" in the family, parked our RV beside the garage except for a couple of trips "between activities".....

So, it's great to have a "general family plan" but......

I'm not so sure I'd "jump to the end" expecting things to remain the way I plan. So buying an expensive toy hauler and a "big dually" right now, only to find that in 3 years, your 5 year old is "hell bent to play soccer with his cousin" and your "well planned investment"... Well, you get the idea.....

I think you're "safer" with an interim RV with minimal investment, and then, later on, if things "stay on your plan" then upgrade later. That way, you'll also have a "years newer toy hauler and tow truck"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #16
cookinwitdiesel

That is a fair point John. Regardless of which way we go, we need to go somewhere as the current trailer is not going to cut it for our needs. May go with the dually anyways and the interim trailer. The new gen GMC trucks will be solid and consistent for 6-7 years but will make our towing easier immediately (pretty close to limits on the 2500 today). Having the truck already makes the switch up to a larger 5er down the road much easier as well.

I do hope our girl likes soccer, I know I did as a kid

Right now our "plan" is camp at least once a month with possibly some month long excursion south in the winter. As much as we plan to be in the trailer, it needs an update over our Hideout.

My wife and I are 30/31 and want to get a lot of mileage out of these years of our lives before everything gets more complicated with our baby girl growing up and becoming more of her own person.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:39 PM   #17
gearhead

We have been down that road John described. When our 2 kids got to middle school there were many weekend and summer activities. We had a Class C that went hardly anywhere for 2 years before we sold it.
You will take a painful financial hit on most RV's, even more so if it is traded to a dealer rather than you selling it yourself.
Good luck though.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #18
cookinwitdiesel

Right now middle school is 9-10 years out, I don't mind taking a hit on a trailer I used a lot for 10 years at that point. The interim seems to make more sense though, since it may be the final trailer depending on where our lives go, smarter move for the time being.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:14 AM   #19
Greggde

We just returned from a 2000 mile round trip needed to secure a true 2019
373 fusion ! The local dealers tried with great vigor to dump last years models
on us so we contacted keystones rep for our area and ordered the model that we
wanted . We are now happy campers
Greggde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:33 AM   #20
Phil Saran

Can I add my 2 cents to this. In 2015 we bought a new Thor Hurricane 34E MH
my wife fell in love with the 2 bathrooms and sleeps 7 (we have 5 grandkids)
never had more than 2 grandkids at a time with us. Had it 3 years (took 1 yr to
sell it). Took a 30K hit when I sold it (MH had 14K on the speedo).

Last October we bought our 5th wheel, we live near Denver and ended up traveling
to Rapid City South Dakota to purchase it ($17K under what I could buy it for
locally.

I bought from Camping World and the local CW is willing to do warranty and service
work on it, just takes a month or so to get an appointment.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod