Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #12
Mad Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
To carry that step one further, why stop at a 250/2500 if getting a diesel, they are heavy and with a Max GVWR of 10K they have a limited payload.
Yeah, if I was going diesel, I would probably just go on to the 1 ton variety. I guess it really depends on what one is trying to accomplish.

A gasser 3/4 ton will go well beyond anything the best 1/2 ton can accomplish..... in both payload and towing capacity. Even with two people and a few hundred lbs of gear on board my gasser 2500, I still have about 2300 lb of payload capacity left.

And that was the point. If one is looking at a 1/2 ton, which most are gassers anyway, why not just bypass the 1/2 ton and move onto the 3/4 ton. For instance, the most capable 1/2 ton that GM offers is the 6.2L variety. Yeah, numbers on the motor look good, but it requires premium fuel to get the most out of it. And even then, it doesn't match a GM 6.0L 3/4 ton gasser in either payload or towing capacity. And anyone can find a GM 3/4 ton, any day of the week, for thousands less in cost than a 6.2L 1/2 ton. And speaking still of GM, the new 6.6L gasser in the 2020 2500/3500 will knock the socks off of the 6.2L in the 1/2 ton, will only recommend regular 87 fuel unlike the Ecotec 6.2 recommendation of premium, and will likely still be thousands less than a 6.2L loaded 1/2 ton.

And the max GVWR of 10K for a 2500/250 has to do with the class it is in, not the power plant. 10K is the max limit GVWR for a 2500/250 per regulatory requirements. And yet, a comparable spec'd 3500/350 SWR has a very similar payload as a 2500/250. One has to move into the DRW variety to substantively move beyond the 10K.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote