Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Happy Camper

Smile Hello fellow RVr's and Keystone owners

I am awaiting delivery on a new Laredo 291TG. After much research I found that this unit is the best bang for my buck plus we really feel it will suit our needs the best.

I do have a couple questions that maybe some of you can answer or at least provide info. on.

1. I have never been much on extended warranties, of course the dealer wants me to buy a 7 year warranty and frankly having used an older RV (1991) for a while I understand that things break constantly. Have any of you had good or bad luck with a particular extended warranty company? And based on your experience with the Keystone brand is it recommended.

2. I intend to store the thing inside or at least in a 3 wall covered building. I am thinking about a cover for it as well. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Rick
Happy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
SLIMSHADIE

Congratulations on your new camper, nice chioce

I bought the better Adco Cover-27905 Travel Trailer Tyvek/Polypropylene Covers - Fits from 28'7" to 31'6" from Camping World. Haven't take it off yet, just waiting for the spring.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Happy Camper

Thanks for the info. on the cover, I will check that one out!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

First, welcome to your Keystone Forum! When you pick up and start using your new Laredo, I am sure you will enjoy it and you are right - it is good value for the $$$ (IMHO).
We have used an Adco cover for one winter and it is now on there for the 2nd year. We did learn, after the 1st winter, where to place foam "cushioning" in a few spots where the cover developed small tears and holes. Otherwise, we are pleased with using the cover and have found no evidence of moisture inside. We do keep our ceiling vents open slightly as well as using a small fan - on a timer.
You will get a variety of opinions about extended warranties - most of them negative. Some warranties are better than others and offer more. We do have one but if we dont use it for the 6 yr period, we get a complete refund. So any small repairs that would involve the warranty, I would do myself or get done out of the warranty. If, for example, I have to spend $500-$600 dollars over the 6 yr period and not make any claims on the warranty, I would still get a compete refund.
In our case, we decided to opt for the warranty and hope we dont make any claims on it. Many of the appliances and other components have a 2 or 3 year manufacturer's warranty on them anyway. I would think that most of the members on here would not be in favour of purchasing one so I am sure I am in the minority.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
Happy Camper

Thanks for the info., that is a good idea to see if there is a refund if I never use it. If that is the case it may make it more attractive, with my luck though the warranty company will go out of business the last year and I still loose. Or they go out of business the month before a major problem.

Can't wait till the spring!

Thanks again,

Rick
Old 02-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
Flyguy

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your new TT in the future, on the cover issue, when you size the cover for your trailer know that the measured length is from the rear bumper to the front side of the trailer body, it does not include the battery box, propane tanks or the hitch box, so look for a size that fits within this range, and you need to measure the trailer yourself and don't depend on factory specs.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Happy Camper

Thanks for the advise.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
Terrydactile

Hi, welcome to the forum.

On the cover...If you are storing the TT in a shed then why would you want to spend the cash on a cover. For me I wouldn't do it. We are constantly in and out of our TT for one reason or another all year so even if the cover had a zippered door access it would just be a pain to get in and out of. We do store ours inside and without a cover just gets a little dust on it. Gotta wash it for spring anyway. Of course this just suits us and gives you another perspective to look at. Why don't you wait a year on the cover to see how it goes. It will save you some cash and its covered anyway.

On the warranty...We bought one for some stupid reason...I guess for a little added security. We have never used it but I will if need be. It is not a refundable policy as posted earlier. One thing I did check before purchasing our policy is when it becomes effective. In other words, most of the things on or in the TT are covered by one warranty or another for a certain period of time anyway so our policy picks up when the other warranties expire. So lets say the Dometic refridgerator is warranted for 3 years then my extened warranty policy does start on the refridgerator until the three years are up on it. So I should be covered on it for 8 years.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
Happy Camper

The reason for the cover is only due to the sun fading the decals while it is in storage. I am not sure on the facility that I will keep it but some of what I have found are 3 wall structures and open in the front allowing sun and wind blown rain to get in. I may just resort to fully enclosed storage and not worry about it. It may make sense to wait and see exactly what my storage choice is before buying one though. I was just trying to find covers that some other folks may have had success or no success with.

I am still on the fence with the warranty. I see people posting some bad issues and I hear others that have had no issues. For the money they want for the warranty I can do a pretty major repair once in the 7 years or so.

I see you tow with a 04 F150. I have a 04 F150 Lariat Super Crew 4x4, 5.4, 3.73 gear and tow package. It is rated to tow a 9200 lb trailer and the 291tg is well below that amount. How does your F150 do with your trailer?
Old 02-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
Tow/Haul

You'll find some interesting reading on covers and EPDM roof material if you look a little. Quite a few folks have removed their covers only to find that the cover had worn through the edges of the roof where it rolls down onto the side of the camper. Wind will cause the cover to flap slightly and that will quickly wear through the roof membrane. Unless you can secure it to where you are positive that it will not flap at any point, I would not use a cover.
Tow/Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow/Haul View Post
You'll find some interesting reading on covers and EPDM roof material if you look a little. Quite a few folks have removed their covers only to find that the cover had worn through the edges of the roof where it rolls down onto the side of the camper. Wind will cause the cover to flap slightly and that will quickly wear through the roof membrane. Unless you can secure it to where you are positive that it will not flap at any point, I would not use a cover.
I have to agree with that. I have a cover from my old trailer that should fit my present Cougar but I won't use it. After ten years out in the weather I applied a two stage rubber roof coating ..... came out better and whiter than new. ..... decided to cover it to keep it that way .... bought a good cover and almost killed myself putting it on but the trailer was going to be like new in the spring. The cover was secured tightly and properly BUT when I took it off There was paint worn off the metal siding and holes worn in six places on the roof edges. I repaired the roof and never put the cover back on. Two years later I traded that trailer in with the roof still looking new and the paint still worn. I got a little long winded here but to put it in one sentence. "If you are in a windy area, PLEASE .... in my opinion .... don't use a cover." Enjoy your new trailer and remember, it is made to be outside, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote