Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
Hols1481

Question 2016 Premier bullet 30 RIPR electrical question

When I have my premier bullet hooked up to my vehicle it has all necessary power. When plugged in using 50 amp from house there is no power. The only exception is power to the outdoor TV , and kitchen Microwave.
no power to control panel, slide outs or lights .
I have checked the fuse box switches as well as GFR buttons.
At this point I have no idea what to do next. Any helpful comments would be appreciated. Thanks .
Hols1481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum.

Locate the positive wire coming from the battery. Follow it and see if there is an inline fuse or circuit breaker. If so then test it for continuity.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #3
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Locate the positive wire coming from the battery. Follow it and see if there is an inline fuse or circuit breaker. If so then test it for continuity.
Chuckster, I read into your response as the 12v from the trailer hitch is connected after the fuse?

Hols1481, when connected into the shore (house) power you have AC as the Microwave wouldn't work without it, it's the 12v DC that's the issue.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Bad battery(s) and/or converter? I would suggest the battery disconnect but I think the slides should work when it's turned off.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:23 AM   #5
Hols1481

Dead Battery

Thanks to all for your help! Am sure it is due to a totally dead battery (no water in cells). Refilled with water and on charger now. All electrical seems to be fine as I charge the battery.
Hols1481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

You'll probably need a new battery. Maybe not, but who are we kidding? Just a heads up.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:39 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

If the battery was "completely dry", chances are that you'll need to replace the battery before you get satisfactory results. Usually a battery that is overcharged to the point of evaporating the electrolyte and then discharged, typically won't recover. So, after it's been on the charger (I assume you mean the converter/charger in the trailer), you'll want to take the battery to someone who can load test it for you. Any auto parts store has the test equipment to perform the test. If the battery fails the load test, just replace it. That would also be the time to decide if you want one or two batteries or if you want to upgrade from a GP24 to a GP27 or GP31 battery to increase your battery capacity.

You should also watch the replacement battery carefully and monitor your converter as well. If the battery "evaporated the electrolyte" there is a reason it did that. It may have been a bad battery, a leaking battery or it could have been a converter/charger that is "stuck on high charge" and overcharged the battery, damaging it.

Look beyond just charging the old battery. You should locate the reason for the "dry battery" now, rather than find it in the middle of a camping trip, on a Saturday afternoon, when everything is closed and your trip is ruined.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #8
bill-e

Yea, a new camper like you're should have a multistage converter in it which would make overcharging unlikely unless there is a problem.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

So you won't be disappointed or caught in a bind, I would replace the battery and forget filling and charging. After being depleted to the point of no water, and sitting in the trailer with the converter trying to charge it, the reliability of the battery will be questionable at best, or, it just won't hold a charge. Be sure and look at the water level (frequently is using a lot) and keep it (them) topped off. A low battery can cause some quirky stuff.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, electrical