Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #1
Freeheel4life

It just dont fit

Well, already ran into hitch #1 on my "new to me" truck (pun intended). So my WDH is a Husky, I don't know model number off hand. It just will NOT fit into the receiver of the truck. I grabbed a steel brush and can of WD-40 and started scrubbing it thinking it was just some rust and dirt holding it up. Still only goes in about a 1/4" and binds up tight. Gave her a couple good whacks with good sized hammer and she didn't budge.
After rolling around down there it looks like receiver was aftermarket. Label has been painted over, but what remains of the logo it looks like an Attwood logo. The receiver was adjustable width wise to meet frame then drilled and pinned it for width. Is combo bolted and welded to frame.
It really just appears that the rolled receiver tube corners are just too tight for the squared off corners of the forged shank of my WDH. I don't really want to spend money on either a new hitch, or a new receiver. ALSO don't want to just grab my flap wheels and grinder and start shaving down the forged shank of the hitch. Seems like IF the worst were to happen and there was in investigation and it was found I ground on my hitch I may as well pull my pants down and.....yall know the rest.
Have you guys heard of this being an issue before?? Should I bite the bullet, cut the welds, and get a different receiver?? Younger me would just grab the grinder and temp gun to make sure I wasn't getting too hot and just start rolling the corners out a bit...
Is there a different hitch that I should be considering instead of my Husky?? It has served me well. Want to keep running a WDH on the 3/4 ton, should I just consider not doing WDH at all?? Seems like then I am needing bags to go with it so need to spend $ regardless.
SORRY FOR THE NOVEL! Just value your opinions.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
busterbrown

Sounds like you got some thick welds on the inside corners of the receiver tube. Are both the receiver tube and shank end 2"x2"? Did you try a chisel on the inside corners of tube to see if anything would loosen up? You may be in need of a new receiver hitch. Curt would sell a solid class V hitch for your f-250. I would not attempt to modify the shank. Post a pic. It may help with some helpful advice.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I would not modify the shank of the hitch that has served you well. I would think that the Atwood receiver is the issue. Does the inside of the receiver have any buildup of any kind? Are there welds, as busterbrown mentioned, too thick on the inside of the receiver? [As a note on that, I bought a Husky "over the hitch shank" set of mudflaps while in FL. They would not fit my Equalizer hitch and I had to have the fitting machined to go over the shank due to welds and Husky's lack of "sharpness" in the design of the fitting.]

I don't know of the quality or proliferation of Atwood receivers but they don't come to mind as a top choice and can't find them as current production. If there isn't a buildup inside the receiver tube and it's the way it's physically built; unable to take a normal 2x2 shank, I would replace it - maybe it will be simple; someone just used something short all the time (or nothing) and there's a buildup of crud in there.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:17 AM   #4
Freeheel4life

Thanks for the responses. The steel brush mentioned was taken to the inside of the receiver. Its pretty clean in there now. It looks like there is some powdercoat or paint at all 4 rolled corners of receiver tube. Going to grab a round file and try and scrape away. I am skeptical though. Ive pressed and pulled a fair amount of "intereference fit" components, and when I gave hitch a few whacks it sure felt like it just isnt going to fit. Wasnt slowly going in with the hammer strikes. Just bounced like it was hard up.
Maybe I will pack my hitch in dry ice then take a rosebud to receiver. Just kidding of course.
Guessing new receiver will be my answer. Was about to pick up a forged 2" setup as that boat I scaled in another post had a tongue weight of 820# and my 2" is rated for 750lb tongue weight max. If the forged 2" doesnt fit then I defininitely know its the reveiver.
Id really like to buy the B&W 3 ball adjustable hitch as I get a discount on them through my place of business, but it still leaves me high and dry for WDH/sway control. They sure look nice though...
Old 04-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #5
Frank G

What is the rating of the Hitch on the tow vehicle? If I read the original post correctly you have a aftermarket "Adjustable" Hitch. This type of hitch is normally a light duty hitch, I've had them break apart on me in the past.
Something isn't right if the shank won't fit. Remember, if you modify it, or overload it, you own it and all the associated liability.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #6
Freeheel4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
What is the rating of the Hitch on the tow vehicle? If I read the original post correctly you have a aftermarket "Adjustable" Hitch. This type of hitch is normally a light duty hitch, I've had them break apart on me in the past.
Something isn't right if the shank won't fit. Remember, if you modify it, or overload it, you own it and all the associated liability.
Unfortunately I cant speak to the rating of the receiver that's on the TV. Someone painted black over the sticker that is on it. Tried a light touch of acetone in a spot and it was dissolving the sticker and writing along with the paint.
Starting to think that for peace of mind I am going to have to lop off the welds and unbolt this aftermarket POS and purchase a new receiver. Wasn't really in the budget/plan when I bought the truck.
Got so focused on the mechanicals of the truck when giving it a shakedown that I took the little assumed stuff for granted. Like that the receiver on a 20 year old 3/4 ton truck would be a non issue. LESSON LEARNED.
Otherwise I am loving the truck.