Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
Afrnd2all

Purchase opinions

Today we sat down with a salesman to go over numbers on a 2017 Sprinter 298fwrls. MSRP $60,508. Sale price was $39,998. Mfg. date is 3/17. Would budge on price. Wanted to charge me $1800 for PDI. I asked what that was for, guy says you for the propane, battery, stuff like that. Also had minor stuff that bugged me. Like molding in a few places that had been pulled off off with nail heads going thru molding. Also the rubber strip that runs along the front seam where cap meets side wall is off. Looks like a new strip is needed. We really like the floor plan. Does it mean much if trailer has been around almost a year?
Afrnd2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
kfxgreenie

https://www.rvtrader.com/New-Or-Used...View=listView&

I'll give ya my take. Is this a large dealer, or a small dealer? Is said dealer going to give you premium service unlike the rest of the RV industry, or will you get the 2-3 month wait for service on a "New" RV. Dealer service and your ability/wiling to fix certain small issues will dictate how good of a "Deal" you should look for. For a 2017 it is probably a little high, especially if they think a PDI is worth $1800, but if their service is GREAT might be worth it to you. Biggest concern I would be worried about on a unit that "Old" would be if the roof has been looked over and serviced at all, and your China bomb tires are now a year older than when they were installed on the RV and are closer to their end date (on your tow home ).
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
rdnkjeeper

PDI is where a "tech" goes through the unit and installs things that weren't installed at the factory. Also the stuff you listed as well as check out the unit for any warranty issues that they can correct before selling the unit. Where I am, I was told that only buy a trailer that was delivered in the summer because of salt. They didn't mention about a unit sitting, I do know that the longer they sit, the better the prices usually get.
rdnkjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #4
Afrnd2all

The only thing I have to worry about is the Arizona sun. No salt. I knew about PDI, but did not know they charged you for it. Decisions...Decisions. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I see that you're in Tuscon, so I'd ask if you've thought through the residential refrigerator vs RV refrigerator question. The residential refrigerator has a warning not to operate it in temps above 110F. If you plan to tow during the summer, you won't be able to leave your refrigerator turned on (even with the inverter and additional batteries) so your towing will be limited. Also, if you plan to boondock, the residential refrigerator will limit you to always taking a generator with you. On the other hand, the RV refrigerator is not as large, does have a history of not cooling as efficiently. It's a "trade-off" to choose one over the other, just be sure you've looked at all the concerns before making the choice.

As for the trailer, it's already a year old (the 2018's are out) and in another month it will be 2 years old (the 2019's are introduced in March/April)... As stated, the tires are a year older than when the trailer was produced and possibly up to 2 years old already. They may be nearing their maximum age in another year, so you'll face replacing them from age even if you do consider keeping them in spite of their bad reputation.

As for the rubber strip on the front of the trailer, do you mean the vinyl "rub-rail insert" ?? If so, it serves no functional purpose and is purely cosmetic. If, on the other hand, you mean a rubber gasket/seal on the front of the trailer, it may be a critical component that has already failed and could spell disaster if it's the front cap/roof sealing strip and it's leaking. I'd urge you to do a LOT of exploring in that area before signing anything !!!!

As for pricing, most 2017/2018 298FWRLS models range from around $35K to $42K, so you're "sort of in the middle" but with the $1800 PDI, you're going to be at the very top of the advertised price range. That's not where a 2017 should be if the 2018's are cheaper.

Dealer service is a key element. If your dealer has a great service department and a "realistic" in and out policy, it's worth the expense to buy there, on the other hand, if you're going to be shuffled to the end of the summer to get your trailer serviced and it sits all that time, then you're not saving any money nor are you being taken care of properly....

Lots to think about and lots to look at before you sign on the dotted line. Don't let the smell of a new trailer and the urge to get out on the open road influence you into making a bad decision. Shop around, investigate other RV owners who have bought there. Ask them how they were treated when they needed warranty work and how the dealership took care of them. It's important to get a good price, but it's also important to get a good dealer who will take care of problems if you have them.

Good Luck and whatever you decide, let us know.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
Oldnavy59

I would ask to see the price difference between the 2017 and the same model in a 2018. A 2017 should be at bargain prices with the 2019 right around the corner

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Oldnavy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #7
Afrnd2all

I’ve seen 2018’s same model from $36,000 up to $52,000. Nothing close to my location. The dealer is pretty well known around here with good reviews from BBB. With March only a week away, I think I’ll wait it out and see what comes out in March. Surprising the salesman never mentioned the residential frig operating specs. LOL!!!! Thanks for all your help.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:12 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Some quick thoughts on your dilemma;

Your trailer is getting on in "parking lot" age. It should have a considerable discount for that.

Tires, roof etc. need to be evaluated due to the extended outside storage and price reduced accordingly.

As John said, if the exterior trim is just the molding it's not a big issue BUT that molding covers the seam of the joining of 2 exterior seams. IF it has been off for a long time there is a possibility that there could be water penetration between the two panels - investigate. Trim work needs to be repaired on the dealer's dime.

$1800 for a PDI is ridiculous. You buy the trailer and have the right to expect it delivered to you in perfect/new condition....period. If the dealer thinks that they need to add the additional fee to deliver you a "new" product....they're nuts and I would be suspect of them for everything I would need from them in the future. They should perform their own PDI on the unit to assure that they've done their best to deliver a great product to you. They should give you the opportunity to perform your own PDI with defects corrected, on their own dime, to make sure they deliver a great product to you. If they won't, or can't, do that they are very suspect in my mind.

Bottom line; a trailer sitting on the lot, in the sun (AZ?) for a year without being maintained needs to be looked over carefully. I can assure you they didn't/haven't done roof mtce. Those things would require, IMO, a minimum discount from the MSRP of at least 35%....minimum. With that, I would expect a complete PDI from them (including roof inspection/sealing), and then mine - with corrections, free of charge. In addition, I would want a free premium WDH/sway control (Equalizer or better) and a free grill plus $200 in accessories. This was my deal in a similar situation.

At the moment it sounds like you are in a lose/lose situation.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

You can download the Keystone Owner's Manual here: http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s.../owners-manual

The owner's manual is the second link on that page. The section on the residential refrigerator is on page 41. The temperature limit is the very first sentence in the Residential Refrigerator section. Seems strange the salesman didn't mention that, especially since the interior of any RV in the Arizona sun is going to be well above 110F after an hour of towing without the A/C running. Hmmmm, I wonder if that's a part of the same "sales tactic" as, "Sure your truck will tow anything we have on the lot"....... Frightening to think people would "forget" things like that.........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:42 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Or like most salespersons, has no real clue about the product they are selling

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:42 PM   #11
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrnd2all View Post
Today we sat down with a salesman to go over numbers on a 2017 Sprinter 298fwrls. MSRP $60,508. Sale price was $39,998. Mfg. date is 3/17. Would budge on price. Wanted to charge me $1800 for PDI. I asked what that was for, guy says you for the propane, battery, stuff like that. Also had minor stuff that bugged me. Like molding in a few places that had been pulled off off with nail heads going thru molding. Also the rubber strip that runs along the front seam where cap meets side wall is off. Looks like a new strip is needed. We really like the floor plan. Does it mean much if trailer has been around almost a year?
Considering it's less than a year old coach as it was built in the final days of that model year, I wouldn't be too concerned of significant degradation of materials. As with many RV's, it may have not been delivered to the selling dealership for weeks after it's "born-on" date...a good thing since winter travel up in the Midwest equates to snow which equates to salt exposure which equates to premature rust on undercarriage components. Not so good.

1. If the unit in question is the oldest coach on the lot and 2. they know you're a serious buyer, there's more flexibility in their pricing structure as the next model year (2019) is just 8 weeks out.

The wholesale dealer in Michigan (Lakeshore RV) I bought my Bullet from sells the Sprinter line. They are very transparent with their pricing and probably the lowest in the country as they are a volume internet dealer. Even though you may not buy from them as you're located in the southwest, they will give you a bottom line price over the phone and/or internet. They sell much of their inventory to customers all over the country as their pricing can't be touched. I was just lucky enough to live in the same state, albeit on the other side.

Again, 2019's will be hitting showrooms in no time at all. If the pricepoint on the 2017 is relatively close to a 2019, I know what I would do. Remember too, late model 2018's have very little model year changes compared to early 2019's. When I bought my coach, it was literally only the VIN.

As far as a PDI surcharge, $1,800? Hmmm...I wouldn't walk away, I'd run. Lakeshore RV pricing includes prep, PDI, 1 battery and full propane tanks. They did charge me a $150 administrative fee for the paperwork and plates. But, everything else is black and white. Pricing was same if you financed or paid cash.

Good luck with your future RV purchase.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:21 PM   #12
FlyingAroundRV

I think the $1800 for the PDI is outrageous!
We are purchasing a much cheaper trailer from a dealer in Indiana and the dealer has told us that the deal includes: A new battery, LPG fill and the full PDI. All that is included in the price which is a very low price comparative to the market (it was about the second lowest price I could find online) and we're ordering a new trailer off the assembly line.
The dealer is Tiara in Elkhart Indiana and the salesman is Jim Schmucker. Give him a call and see what he can do for you. For the $1800 your dealer is charging for a PDI, you could drive to Indiana and pick the trailer up, or probably even have it delivered.
BTW, We initially were quoted on a 2017 trailer sitting on his lot. We are actually buying a late '18 model and the salesman has committed to the same price even though the '18 models had a $400 price increase. How do they do it? Beats the heck out of me, but we've had a lot of discussions with this guy and I'm pretty confident that he's genuine.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:45 AM   #13
notanlines

I can't really add anything constructive to the advice you've gotten so far, but I can agree wholeheartedly that the $1800 PDI is as outrageous as anything you mentioned. We would never buy where a dealer charged for a PDI. Better deals are to be had elsewhere.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #14
travelin texans

Curious how they charge for the PDI as I wouldn't sign ANY paperwork til after said PDI & everything is repaired/replaced to MY satisfaction. And for $1800 there shouldn't/wouldn't be 1 strand of carpet out of place or 1 nail head visible before I'd be signing, they'd be earning that money.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #15
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrnd2all View Post
The only thing I have to worry about is the Arizona sun. No salt. I knew about PDI, but did not know they charged you for it. Decisions...Decisions. Thanks for the input.
With a build date of 3/17, it might have traveled salty roads to get to AZ.

Our trailer sat on the dealers lot for a year, before we bought it and we got a great deal on it... I have seen used models listed for more than we paid for it new.

I think I would tell the deal er to stuff their PDI "fee"

-Brian
Old 02-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #16
Afrnd2all

I have not signed anything. I’ve told them I would not sign until everything was fixed. My initial gut feeling was that PDI charge was not right. After reading all of the input. It’s a done deal.NOT!!!! Thanks for everyone’s help.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:16 AM   #17
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
I think I would tell the deal er to stuff their PDI "fee"

-Brian
Doesn't Keystone provide the dealer a fee for PDI? Or am I making that up?

Either way, I see telling the dealer "no PDI" as a great excuse for allowing all those out-of-the-factory mistakes through. Personally, I'd tell them to scrap that fee and let them know that they need to have it fully powered up, with water, etc and that you'll be spending 2-3 hours doing your own PDI prior to purchase.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Purchase opinions

PDI is not paid by the factory in any brand that I’m aware of.

PDI allows the technician to test everything and address any discrepancies prior to delivery. Fee differs by dealer and depth of actual “testing” seems to be subjective. We often times get units that have been delivered and upon diagnosis of issue, it’s clear that it was never checked at PDI.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:26 PM   #19
CaptnJohn

They can add $10,000 for blowing their nose. All I care about is out the door cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #20
Afrnd2all

Informed the salesman today that I will not be going forward with the purchase. He wanted to know why. Again I explained cost for a late model 2017 and the PDI fee. Never came back with an offer of at least waiving PDI fee. I guess he met his monthly quota and did not need another sale. Oh well. Again thanks for all of the input.