Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
mytravel

Towing with a Tundra ?

Seeking practical advice on real deal towing with my 2014 5.7 litre Tundra Factory equipped w/ Sway Control, 10,100 lb Tow Pkg (but hitch only rated ?? at 5,000 lbs) brake controller. Have towed weight before 1,200 miles TTs has a different profile & want 2 get up 2 speed

Looking at Cougar 22RBS-Laredo 225MK-Passport Elite 23RB-Premier 22RB -19RB Dry weights between 4,500 & 5,500 lbs

Doing significant miles each year for the next 5 yr SW FL to the West Coast, Northwest, Canada and back Probably 8,500 mi +/- yearly

Truck payload of 1,520 is reduced to 1,434 for either the Leer Cap or Hitch.
Tongue weight for these TTs are 500/600 lbs.
Passenger weights 400 lbs. Leaves only about 400/500 lbs for msc.

1) Do I still need an aftermarket sway/distribution system?
2) Am I on the border with this Tundra actual capabilities?
3) Annual traveling plans of 2 month covering up to 8,500 miles
should I be thinking of going to a alternative towing vehicle?
4) Any other practical advice Tundra related or else would also
be greatly appreciated. Are these TTs to light for that kind of workout?

Thanks, Pat
mytravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
CaptnJohn

Yes to #3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
slow

Towing with a Tundra ?

FYI: without hitch, our loaded 23RB tongue weight is 733lbs with 1/3 full FW tank and we pack “light”.

Your Tundra payload is on the sparse side but may be doable if the bed cap comes off and not much else in the TV.

We went from a 1800 lb payload F150 to a F250 to make long trips a joy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Tundras have come a long way in the last few years. A little older and I would have said go with #3 and be done with it. As it is you may still need to look at something else.

The weights you gave are dry weights. Look at the gvws. If you are going to spend that much time in the trailer traveling there is no such thing as "traveling light".

1) Yes, you need an aftermarket wdh with sway control for any of them.

2) Yes, you are on the border and very possibly/probably over its capabilities by the time you get everything loaded.

3) Yes, you would be happier with a larger truck.

4) The trailers should be fine for that kind of workout. Just got back from 5 months in FL. One of the friends we made was a single lady pulling a Hideout in the 20 ft. range. She was having a great time. She arrived in FL for a month or so from WA. She left FL, traveled through TX and NM and the last we heard from her she was headed back into AZ. So, yes the trailers are up for it.....if the truck is.

The trailers you listed all have gvw's from 6500 lbs (Premier 19 & 22RB), 6800 lbs. (Passport Elite 23RB), 7200 lbs. (Cougar 22RBS) to 8000 lbs. (Laredo 225MK). Figure 15% of gvw for hitch weight (to be safe and give you better loading options) so you're looking at 975 lbs.- 1200 lbs. for tongue weight alone. By your numbers the cap weighs 86, people 400 then add approx. 100 lbs. for the hitch = 586 lbs. Now you've got up to 1200 lbs. tongue weight, 586 lbs. for the above (NOTHING but people in the truck) and you're at 1786 lbs. vs a payload of 1520. NOW we're back to #3.

Edit: Welcome to the forum!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
FlyingAroundRV

I spent some time considering a Tundra to tow our Outback 272UFL. The numbers worked, but were very close to maximums. I decided to bite the bullet and spend a few extra $$$ for a 250/2500 sized vehicle. My reasoning was; If I bought the smaller vehicle then decided it wasn't up to the job and had to upgrade, it would end up costing more than if I went with the larger vehicle in the first place. Plus, I would be fairly certain the truck I bought would do the job and do it safely and comfortably.
Of course, I'm talking used vehicles, so I can set my own mileage and vehicle age limits to fit within my budget. If you're looking at new vehicles that's a different equation.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:22 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Keep in mind that advertising brochures have a lot of fluff and limitations and are notoriously low. Thus, the actual tongue weight given by Slow vs. the brochure weight. The only trustworthy numbers are the ones you get on a scale or from your truck's weight stickers. Just keep this in mind as YMMV.

A definite yes from me on the WDH. They make a world of difference.

Many of us on here speak from experience when we talk about a bigger truck making a huge difference. Do you need one? Maybe. Being prepared for that possibility is better than blindly digging in your heels and never considering the option. For me, it was a night and day improvement by upgrading.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:27 AM   #7
Carrottop

Question #1 - Yes you will need an aftermarket WD/Sway system we use the equalizer 4point but there are other good systems as well.
Question #2 - You are but if plan you payload you should be ok with the trailers with a 6000lb range GVW.
Question #3 - I would recommend you try it for one season with the Tundra as you already own it and see how it performs if you are not comfortable with it upgrade before next season. I'm gonna duck and hide after that one. . My 1/2 ton does just fine pulling my 217EXP with a GVW of 6500lbs.
Question #4 - Trailer should handle the trip just fine but I would rip those China bombs off it before it did a trip like that. Just my opinion again I'm gonna duck and hide .

John
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
Owl

Having towed with a Tundra and about the same size trailer I would definitely recommend the WDH and be prepared to not enjoy the drive. Most of my drives were less than 200 miles but I would not want to take it across the country. I have since gotten a bigger trailer and sized the truck appropriately. I agree with new tires if you’re planning a long trip. There are several threads about tires and would recommend you read through them. Good luck with the journey
Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:29 PM   #9
thumpinhard25

I sent you a message.
thumpinhard25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, tundra