Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
Bighorns

Countertops

My 2012 Cougar has the Corian type countertops and they seem to get scratched very easily. Have been very cautious on what we set on them but more & more scratches keep showing up. The countertops are a dark color and the scratches can be easily seen. Has anyone else had this problem? I am thinking about contacting my dealer on this.

2011 Chevy 3500 Duramax Dually
Bighorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
beer breath

Ours have scratches as well. Luckily our counter are light in color so they are only noticeable if the sun hits it just right. As OCD as I am about the camper these scratches hardly bother me. If I had the dark counter top, that would be a different story. Not sure what a fix would be. A friend has a Cougar similar to yours and his are also scratched.

-Matt
2013 Sydney 340FBH
beer breath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 AM   #3
x96mnn

Corian counter-tops look fantastic and are light but one of the known issues with them is they do scratch and regardless how careful you are it is going to happen.

We just replaced the counter-tops in our home and were first looking at Corian but the sales rep talked us into Granite which was cheaper. They had sample kitchens there with Corian and he showed how easily it scratched which could be hidden in a lighter colour.

You can buff/sand the scratches out and people state its not that hard to do. If you were looking to sell or trade the camper it may be something you look at getting done or read up and see if it is something your comfortable trying on your own. It is an actual selling feature with Corian that it is much more easily repaired then other material but personally I would not be trying to make any fixes while I still owned it unless it had major damage. I would try and enjoy it an not let the scratches bother me knowing I could have them removed when I needed!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
geo

Corian does have the advantage of "being the same throughout". You can buy "repair" or "refinishing" kits to remove scratches, cuts, burns, etc. The kits are sold at most Home Depots, Lowe's, and even Amazon. Basically these kits are very fine and extra fine emery cloth, rubbing compound, and finish compound. What you do is just remove an area of material to smooth it out.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
island-rider

I had similar issues with my 299RKS High Country. I had our local countertop place come and buff the coutertop to a matt finish. They indicated that the corian when buffed to a high gloss finish will show any and all imperfections and a matt finish is less noticable for scratches to be seen.
island-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
laidback

Bighorns, are you sure they are corian? I have a 2011 Cougar and the counter tops are made of a resin to look like corian. If you look under it you can tell. On mine the crock-pot caused the dark color to turn to a grey color. Have tried verything to get it out. We just learned to live with it.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
SAD
Permanent User Ban

If actual Corian, it should have the raised, round Corian logo someplace. Mine is near the pantry - or some other place where it would not be in the way.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
webslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidback View Post
Bighorns, are you sure they are corian? I have a 2011 Cougar and the counter tops are made of a resin to look like corian. If you look under it you can tell. On mine the crock-pot caused the dark color to turn to a grey color. Have tried verything to get it out. We just learned to live with it.
My 318SAB has what the dealer termed "Corian like" ... They (counter tops) definitely aren't Corian in my Cougar. Some sort of resin over what, appears to be, a fiberglass base.

This is a bit off topic, but, the toughest stuff I've ever seen is Nevamar laminate. When I remodeled the kitchen in our sticks and bricks, I built the cabinets out of the stuff (had to do my own lamination) and it is virtually industructable. I ordered samples and put a piece of it on my 6" machine mounted belt sander...didn't phase it. I laminated the cabinets inside and out with the stuff 25 years ago and it still looks like new. Even made the wife a cutting board out of the stuff. I was going to use it for the counter tops, but, as any laminate, it will shatter with a very hot pot put on it. Used granite. Much more resistant to the accidental setting of a hot pot on it and much more wear resistant (scratch resistant) than Corian. IMHO, as a cabinet builder, Corian is "over-rated" and its biggest advantage is weight when compared to granite followed by the great ease of machining it; very easy to cut, route, drill, sand and finish. For my $$$, Corian in the bathroom, granite in the kitchen, Nevamar for laminate use.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Some of the "high end" RV's are now coming standard with "granite laminate" countertops. They are granite overlay that is actually a "thin cut" granite laminated to a wood product or fiberglass base. Sales pitch is that it has the durability of granite with half the weight. I've seen a couple at RV shows, they look just like solid granite, but I don't know how durable it would be in a situation where it gets banged, bumped or hit with something extremely hot or cold.

Time will tell if granite laminate moves into the lower price ranges that Keystone calls "premium" or "luxury"

I'd suppose it you're buying a half million dollar RV, having to replace a counter top "occasionally" really isn't a big expense, so I'm sure granite laminate will survive there. As for our type of RVing, well, it's not here yet so durability and practicality remain unknown.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
rbjsaylo

Smile Light Repair to Corian Countertops

We have Corian countertops installed at home, in the RV and at my workplace. I was told by a contractor a few years ago that if you use one of those 3M sponge/scrubbers (yellow on one side and green on the other) and just lightly rub with the dry green side, it will remove scratches, pen marks, and any other light stains that might show up.

I have actually tried this and it works very well removing pen marks, with no visible signs of scratching, but I think the key is to not rub too aggressively. Hope this helps
MorRyde King Pin
rbjsaylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #11
Bighorns

Thanks. I think I will give that a try.

2011 Chevy 3500 Duramax Dually
Bighorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #12
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbjsaylo View Post
We have Corian countertops installed at home, in the RV and at my workplace. I was told by a contractor a few years ago that if you use one of those 3M sponge/scrubbers (yellow on one side and green on the other) and just lightly rub with the dry green side, it will remove scratches, pen marks, and any other light stains that might show up.

I have actually tried this and it works very well removing pen marks, with no visible signs of scratching, but I think the key is to not rub too aggressively. Hope this helps
This method works well indeed. You can even go a step further and use water and a fine sandpaper (800-1200) and put a polished finish back on them. If you do choose to sand them, I would offer this bit of caution, wrap the paper around a small block instead of holding it in your hands. This will produce a more even finish and help prevent you from seeing high spots in the finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
AustinClarke

I have installed a glass countertop and it is light in color hence, I never experienced this issue. I think you must consult the dealer.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:26 AM   #14
MConnelly

"Corian" scratch removal

In my former life I was a certified Corian fabricator and installer. What I am going to recommend applies only to Corian, or HiMac materials.

You can use a random orbital sander set on medium speed.(a vacuum line is nice) Use a maroon 3M scuff pad first followed by a gray pad to remove light surface scratches. You cannot do this by hand. There is no way to keep the pad flat enough. It is a slow process even with the power tool so do not worry about gouging your tops.
If you have deep scratches use a open coat 120-150 sanding pad then the 3 m pads. Careful with the sanding pads . They will cut quicker than the 3 m pads.
The pads will give you a satin finish. This is the easiest to take care of as it does not streak when washed. If you want a glossier finish spray the top with WD 40. Wipe a even film over the top and let it set for about 15 minutes. Then wipe off the excess, AND LIGHTLY BUFF BY HAND. This will leave a very nice gloss surface that is easily renewable. WD 40 is 90+ percent fish oil so not much worry about food contamination. I would not put a raw steak on the top and let it sit right after this treatment but after a day or so should be no issues.
It is almost impossible to polish in a gloss finish in Corian in the field.
MConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote