Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #21
mosey

If you buy one just make sure you have a long enough shank for the hitch or your tow vehicle could hit the front cover
mosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #22
dmatt

Thanks for the heads up. I have a longer shank due to towing the car behind the MH so I'll use that one.

Going to the Pamona RV show this weekend to really get a good look at the difference models all at one time
dmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #23
jq1031

That was good advise from Mosey, on one of my first back ins, my truck tail light & the front cap kissed causing the big red plastic tail light assembly to be replaced at a cost of $230.00. I Learned that one the hard way!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #24
dmatt

Well. Went to the RV show and talked to the Keystone rep. Found out that the Xlite TTs have the new front cap, but the reg Cougars do not!! Guess that answer's my question.

On a side note, I came away from the show more confused that when I went in!!! I looked at Outbacks, Cougars and even the 1/2 ton series 5th wheel. Not sure how I'll ever make up my mind
dmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #25
bgilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatt View Post
Well. Went to the RV show and talked to the Keystone rep. Found out that the Xlite TTs have the new front cap, but the reg Cougars do not!! Guess that answer's my question.
I am a bit confused on what the Keystone rep. is calling a regular Cougar. Cougars are separated by class (tongue tow and 5th wheel) and by region (East and West coast). The standard Cougar is a 5th wheel only model in the East coast and on the West coast they have a TT selection that states "custom colored fiberglass cap".
West coast is the only model that seems to have a standard Cougar in a TT. High Country and XLite both distinctly show the new style cap
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #26
rdf254

Angry East vs west

West trailers are same as last year east have new front. West plant did not retool. Unfortunately I ordered a west rear kitchen befor I found out.
rdf254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:10 AM   #27
smiller

Just FWIW, 'aerodynamic' in this context is essentially marketing BS as it's unlikely there's much a difference between the old and new models in that respect. In fact the rear of a vehicle has as much or more to do with aerodynamic efficiency than the front.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #28
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Just FWIW, 'aerodynamic' in this context is essentially marketing BS as it's unlikely there's much a difference between the old and new models in that respect. In fact the rear of a vehicle has as much or more to do with aerodynamic efficiency than the front.
I have to disagree with this one. I have towed a lot of bricks down the highway and changing the shape of the front end has made the largest difference in fuel mileage for me.

I went from an 8000 lb. 10' high trailer with a flat front to a 11000 lb. 12' high trailer with a rounded ("aerodynamic") front and gained 4mpg over the same trip with the same TV. Drag may be the culprit with cars and trucks but when towing that big sail sticking up behind your TV is gonna bite you in the wallet every time. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #29
smiller

I can't speak to what any individual may experience with two different trailers of different design, but in general you cannot necessarily tell all that much about the aerodynamic effect of changes by visual appearance or intuition, just not the way it works. Rounding the front end a bit might help a lot, or a little, or not much at all, if it is done 'just to make it rounded' or look more streamlined. I don't doubt your experience, I'm only saying that if anyone is counting on such a change to make a huge difference they may be dissapointed.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #30
jje1960

Aerodynamic

After reading the thread.... Just wondering why all the major trucking companies would spend the significant money on their aerodynamic alterations to their rigs, if it does not make a difference? Just an observation.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #31
smiller

Well for my part I didn't say aerodynamic alternations don't make a difference, what I was saying is that un-engineered cosmetic changes (which I believe the end cap change to be) won't necessarily make a difference. In the case of a fleet-wide trucking operation I would assume that the company would insist that the changes were well engineered, tested, and documented before committing the investment. Maybe Keystone did that, you tell me...