Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
L0veless

RV water softeners?

being new to RVing walking around the park I see these large blue water filters.
later I learned these are RV water Softeners Who knew so I did an internet search and there are many out there.
anyone using these? what are the problems/issues with these and any help deciding on which one would be great.

thank you
L0veless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:55 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Water softeners or water filters?? I see lots of folks using water filters but haven't seen a water "softener" that I know of on an RV in a mobile park.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:30 AM   #3
notanlines

What Sourdough ^^^^^said. No water softeners in our park either, just a number of filters. You can get a 2-pack at Wallyworld for about $20 and they do a fair job of filtering sand and the like, plus taking some of the evil taste out here and there.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:57 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

The blue ones are filters. If you want a softener then you need something like this:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...r-softener.htm

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #5
Still go once

These water softeners do a great job and can be recharged with regular table salt, "On The Go OTG4-Std Soft RV Water Softeners". Culligan stores offer large units for seasonal campers and have charged units ready whenever you need to swap it out.
Still go once is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
Richard Noble

I bought one from Camping World. I got it for two reasons -- 1) DW loves it and 2) should help increase the life of the plumbing system. Most important, it makes my hair so soft (I'm bald!). We do like it and it is really easy to recharge.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
bobbecky

We've had a Watts RV-Pro 10,000 water softener for several years now. We were developing too much mineral buildup on our faucets and the shower head due to hard water. I only have to recharge it every few months, and we are full timers. The recharge process only takes maybe 1/2 hour, and one container of plain table salt (non-iodized). http://www.watersoftenercritic.com/w...tener-reviews/
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
L0veless

talking the the owners of a few of these softeners (different mfgs.) they all say its the best thing they had done for their units. bit the bullet and ordered one today will let you guys know how it works and if its worth it.

thanks
Old 01-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

For those that use the softener a question or two.

I live in a region that has very hard water and we have adjusted to it. We travel a lot but don't like it when we run into areas that have very "soft" water; impossible to get soap off, get it out of your hair, feel slick etc. When you use one of these softeners do you use them everywhere you go? Some places?? I can't imagine using one in a place that already had soft water. How does that work?
Old 01-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #10
aaron_huber

With hard water you actually aren't getting the soap off. :-)

https://water.usgs.gov/edu/qa-chemical-soap.html
aaron_huber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #11
bobbecky

Our softener is always hooked up. I don't think we've ever been where the water has been very soft, but at the in-law's, where we have a full hookup site on their property, the water isn't hard and the water still doesn't feel overly soft. Soft water takes a little to get used to, but the feeling that the soap hasn't rinsed off is just that, a feeling, and it really does rinse off and you get used to just rinsing until the visible soap is gone. I think the softener charge lasts longer when in good water areas, but can't prove that. Just the fact that the mineral crud isn't building up in the plumbing is well worth the feeling of slippery wet skin that you think is still soapy.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_huber View Post

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I always feel "dirty/sticky" after showering with soft water - I don't guess we feel the intangible benefits of it but I'll keep that in mind.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Our softener is always hooked up. I don't think we've ever been where the water has been very soft, but at the in-law's, where we have a full hookup site on their property, the water isn't hard and the water still doesn't feel overly soft. Soft water takes a little to get used to, but the feeling that the soap hasn't rinsed off is just that, a feeling, and it really does rinse off and you get used to just rinsing until the visible soap is gone. I think the softener charge lasts longer when in good water areas, but can't prove that. Just the fact that the mineral crud isn't building up in the plumbing is well worth the feeling of slippery wet skin that you think is still soapy.
Thanks. I'll note your observations. I'm a really picky sleeper, showerer, etc. I like things "my way" I guess. I have always disliked the "slippery" feeling because I thought I wasn't getting the soap off. I think it would take a different mind set to think that you were clean - but I'm open to looking into it. Thanks again for your thoughts. We use water filters everywhere we go and have had no problems with mineral build up on anything. That may change but so far nothing....on the other hand, at our s&b it is a major problem.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #14
L0veless

well I went with the watts 10,000 system. installed last night.
wife showered this morning came out and said WOW what a difference. we have water softener at home so she is used to soft water. when I was installing the unit the owner next door came out to talk, he has the same unit and said he regenerates every 4 months or so, that was one of my concerns maintenance. between her WOW and low maintenance I think this was a very good investment.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #15
Williston324

Every four months - not bad!! Where I am in southern Fl it's every 3-4 weeks and that's not with a clothes washer.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #16
harley1993rider

2 year old softerner died :(

Can new resin be added to RV softerner? We think we can do this but can’t find 0.2 cubic foot of resin around town. Our conditioner only lasted 2 years and was winterized. Campground has super hard water.
harley1993rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #17
mikz86ta

We currently use the small blue filters by Camco. They are disposable. Full time we go thru 1 every 3 months. The water will start to turn a slight greenish color when it's time to change.....so we found out. Kinda odd.... But we don't drink tap water, we buy bottles and refillable jugs. Overall they work fine but they aren't softeners. When I put a new one on, I run the hose thru the new filter, not attached to RV, for a few seconds. The initial water out is black......because it's a carbon filter and you have to 'prime' it I guess
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley1993rider View Post
Can new resin be added to RV softerner? We think we can do this but can’t find 0.2 cubic foot of resin around town. Our conditioner only lasted 2 years and was winterized. Campground has super hard water.
Try Amazon. Just do a product search for "RV Water softener resin". You'll get several options. That said, I'm not sure which water softener you have, so you may or may not be able to access the resin for replacement without damaging the softener internal components. Some you can, some you can't.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:09 PM   #19
Pmedic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_huber View Post

Good article about hard versus soft water. I have heard a lot of people think that soft water leaves soap because of that slick feel, however as the article points out, that slippery feeling is better for no residual soap.
Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #20
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikz86ta View Post
We currently use the small blue filters by Camco. They are disposable. Full time we go thru 1 every 3 months. The water will start to turn a slight greenish color when it's time to change.....so we found out. Kinda odd.... But we don't drink tap water, we buy bottles and refillable jugs. Overall they work fine but they aren't softeners. When I put a new one on, I run the hose thru the new filter, not attached to RV, for a few seconds. The initial water out is black......because it's a carbon filter and you have to 'prime' it I guess
That's ONLY a filter not a softener. I use one on my hose before the softener to keep some of the crap out of the softener.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water