Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
wbdvt

5th wheel hitch selection

Hello,
DW and I are looking a 5th wheels and I am looking for information on hitches and pin boxes. Is there a primer out there for newbies? What needs to be considered? What about the height?

I am considering a B&W Companion hitch as I like the concept of removing and having a flat bed.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
His & Hers 2016 Vespa Sprint 150's
wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
Jgkopp

You didn't say if you have or are getting a short bed? I have this hitch ordered with a concealed mounting system (no rails). If your ordering a Ford F-250 you could order it with the 5th wheel tow package prep and the concealed mounting system would be factory otherwise there are aftermarket that are the same exact thing. For a short bed you will want a sliding hitch so when turning the trailer clears the cab.

Jgkopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
wbdvt

jgkopp - my TV is in my signature. I do want to keep the usefulness of my bed.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
His & Hers 2016 Vespa Sprint 150's
wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #4
Lic0rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
Hello,
DW and I are looking a 5th wheels and I am looking for information on hitches and pin boxes. Is there a primer out there for newbies? What needs to be considered? What about the height?

I am considering a B&W Companion hitch as I like the concept of removing and having a flat bed.
Finished installing the B&W Turnover hitch this morning. Nothing technical, just a lot of contorting the body to get to everything under the truck. Did it by myself, although I could have saved an hour if the DW wasn't putting in the garden!! Total time after I got all my tools assembled was about 5 hours.....which included removing one of the end brackets to put the correct bolts in Do exactly what the directions say!!

We have a long bed truck and will be using the non-slide B&W Companion. I have not towed with it yet but can assure you that both the Turnover Hitch and Companion are very heavily constructed. I have heard nothing but great things about B&W.
B&W Turnoverball + B&W Companion Hitch
1998 Key West 1720
Lic0rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:39 AM   #5
bsmith0404

You can do a lot of reading on this forum and other sites about hitches. Opinions will vary as much as they do on which brand of truck is better. My only opinion is get a hitch that is over rated for the trailer you are pulling and you won't need to upgrade in the future when you upgrade trailers. When I bought my first hitch I only had an 8k lb 5er and went with a 15k hitch...overkill, then I upgraded to a 12k lb 5er, still good....now I have a 15.5k lb 5er and a new 20k hitch. It's never a bad thing to have more hitch than you need.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:58 AM   #6
darrylwt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
Hello,

I have a 20K Pullrite hitch non slide and the only part left in the bed is the rails but I think they have a 4 pin setup so you bed is flat.
As far as the pin height you can adjust the hitch and or the pin box to obtain the clearance and to level the trailer while towing to even out the weight on both trailer tires and axels.
with 5" exhaust system
2015 Keystone Montana HC 305RL
650 Watt Solar panels, 4 6volt T-105
Go power 3000 inverter.
darrylwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:43 AM   #7
Desert185

www.andersenhitches.com

Less weight in the bed, easy removal, high capacity, no clunking. Give them a look.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:38 AM   #8
Cyncwby

Just a thought about any type of gooseneck hitch, from what I've read, most 5th wheel mfg's will void your warranty if you use one. I think a lot of 5th wheel companys use the Lippert chassis and they will void your warranty.......unless you use the Reese "Goosebox" pin box assembly.

I think it also has an airbag in it which is very good for truck and trailer, cost about $950 or so. Anyway ask your chosen 5th wheel mfg....NOT the salesman about the warranty.

We use a Hensley Trailer Saver TS3 with the Hensley adapter for the Ford underbed hitch structure. Yes they are EXPENSIVE but I bought both used on ebay. Got em really cheap and were like new. If you can swing it get a hitch or pinbox with an airbag ssystem, makes towing so much nicer. ps, also need to mention, this hitch weighs 312 lbs. plus 79 for the adapter, I use my engine hoist to R&R the thing, couldn't do it otherwise. They do make a new model that comes apart for easier installation.......FYI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F-250 042.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	10567  
Cyncwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:05 PM   #9
Desert185

The Andersen isn't a gooseneck hitch and it won't void the warranty.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #10
hdrolling

In the event that something does happen with an Anderson and it voids the trailer warranty then Anderson has a 1 million dollar warranty to cover you.
That's how confident they are in their product, and mine only weighs 35lbs. It was an easy decision for us.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:16 PM   #11
Cyncwby

Well my error then, the one I saw had a 2 5/16" ball on it and the 5th had a short goose adapter. I would definately use the Reese Goosebox pin box so you would get some advantage of an airbag ride so you might not have to have a warranty claim. To each his own.....
Cyncwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:36 PM   #12
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyncwby View Post
Well my error then, the one I saw had a 2 5/16" ball on it and the 5th had a short goose adapter. I would definately use the Reese Goosebox pin box so you would get some advantage of an airbag ride so you might not have to have a warranty claim. To each his own.....

You are correctly describing the Andersen Ultimate hitch system, but it isn't a gooseneck adapter. A gooseneck adapter, the kind that voids some frame warranties, has an extension between the kingpin and the truck's gooseneck ball on the bed. That extension moves the leverage and force down to the bed and puts significantly more twist on the pin box and frame.

Andersen elevates the ball to the pin box. The small adapter clamps to the king pin and has a ball socket that the Andersen hitch ball seats into. There is little to no extra length and little to no extra leverage on the pin box with this setup over a standard 5th wheel hitch.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #13
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
In the event that something does happen with an Anderson and it voids the trailer warranty then Anderson has a 1 million dollar warranty to cover you.
That's how confident they are in their product, and mine only weighs 35lbs. It was an easy decision for us.
I believe its a FIVE million warranty.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:58 AM   #14
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I believe its a FIVE million warranty.
Yes, thanks. It's been a year since I bought mine and had done all the research.

Glad I took a shot and tried this hitch out, I use my bed and having a 35lb hitch to remove by myself in minutes is so worth it. Then I just carry it into my garage with one hand and hang it on the wall out of the way.

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 05-31-2016, 05:36 AM   #15
Jim Dow

Replacing the Pinbox

I have a short bed F250 Super Duty towing a Montana High Country.

I use a B&W Companion hitch (non-slider); and it works fine.

The trailer salesman sold me a Sidewinder pin box when I bought the trailer; and I just found out (3 years into the deal) that B&W does NOT recommend using a Sidewinder pin-box with their hitch. So, I am in the process of replacing the Sidewinder pin-box. It has always been very difficult to connect to the B&W hitch anyway.

Will someone recommend a replacement pin-box please?
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:34 PM   #16
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
Yes, thanks. It's been a year since I bought mine and had done all the research.

Glad I took a shot and tried this hitch out, I use my bed and having a 35lb hitch to remove by myself in minutes is so worth it. Then I just carry it into my garage with one hand and hang it on the wall out of the way.

The Andersen hitch concept is not only revolutionary, but an extremely effective design.

In many ways, I am still a GM Bowtie guy. You have a great looking truck!
Old 05-31-2016, 07:17 PM   #17
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
In many ways, I am still a GM Bowtie guy. You have a great looking truck!
Thanks, it's getting up there in age but still pulls like a train!

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 05-31-2016, 09:25 PM   #18
mtofell

Love my B/W slider.... I went the cheap route with a previous fiver and it was a nightmare (Reese). The B/W runs like a Swiss watch. If not for needing a slider I'd take a look at that Anderson.... the 35lbs in/out the bed sure looks nice. Also, the payload savings would be nice. I think my B/W weighs well north of 200#.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #19
Colorado

B & W companion

I also wanted to use the truck bed frequently, so I had the dealer install the companion hitch. I like it, comes out fairly easily ( you have to lift straight up as there is not much clearance between the hitch and where it slides into the bed). A little more that I want to lift (being 70 this month) so I use a pulley {less that $50.00 @ Harbor Fright}
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #20
Pmedic4

Anderson Ultimate Hitch

I have to admit, I went with my Curt hitch, based on the fact that it fits great into the 'puck system' for the RAM trucks. It locks in easily, is real solid, and the Q16 hitch is great to hook-up and unhook from, couldn't be better...except it weighs 200 pounds. I'm getting up there in years, and I just can't lift a beast this size by myself, and generally rely on one of my kids to come over and move it when I remove it at the end of the season.
When I look at the Anderson hitches, even the steel version is around 75 pounds, which I could probably (still) handle by myself, and the aluminum version would be around 35 pounds. Yeah, the cost would have been higher in the long run, but that's convenience for you.

By the way, my RAM 2500 doesn't fit into my garage, so I'm planning on building a new garage workshop, so why am I worried about the cost of the hitch????

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote