Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2015, 08:11 AM   #21
Tom N OH

The only toll in Ohio right now is on I80/90. They are talking about rebuilding the I75 bridge over the Ohio River & making it a toll bridge.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:48 AM   #22
bmach

Ez pass for trailer

I have been using ez pass NY since they came out. I have never had a special one for towing. Never got a nasty letter. You go through the toll it counts your axels and that is all it does. You are making it way to complex, it is a very simple system.
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:41 AM   #23
rfinley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmach View Post
I have been using ez pass NY since they came out. I have never had a special one for towing. Never got a nasty letter. You go through the toll it counts your axels and that is all it does. You are making it way to complex, it is a very simple system.
Sorry to disagree, but they do not count axles, the transponder is what tells the system what you have. It is spelled out really clear on the form you fill out for e-zpass for the Thruway. As with anything you can do whatever you would like, heck, I know people who don't have an E-zpass account and go through the E-Zpass lanes and have gotten away for quite some time. When they do send that letter, you will be surprised. The fines are calculated daily !!! Not trying to make it complex, just want the correct story to be told. Again here is the official form from NYS Thruway.....

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf
rfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #24
bmach

Ez pss

Rfinly,I just looked at my statement from my last trip and all my tolls were for more than my daughter who took the same trip in her car.

Also here is a copy and paste from ez pass NY FAQ Page.

I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle. Can I still use my transponder?
Yes. In this instance the equipment in the lane is designed to identify that your vehicle is pulling a trailer and you will be charged accordingly. However, if you think this will be a regular occurrence, you should call the Customer Service Center and have them send you a transponder programmed for the vehicle classification you use most frequently. You should never use your transponder in a vehicle type other than the one you initially requested (i.e. Car transponder in a tractor-trailer).

What you posted was the form for the multi axle transponder.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #25
Pmedic4

EZ-Pass cooperative agreements

I saw where if your a Commercial Vehicle, and going through NYS EZ-Pass, you are suppose to exchange your standard EZ-Pass (or I-Pass) for a blue transponder. I would assume we - RV'er aren't considered commercial.

This is from the Illinois I-Pass site -"* Commercial vehicles (including their trailers) that exceed four tires and two axles, and that are traveling on E-ZPass roads, must exchange their I-PASS transponder for the compatible E-ZPass "blue" transponder available at every Tollway Customer Service Center and at select Road Ranger outlets."

Now I wonder how I-Pass now works? Again, I assume we're not commercial vehicle.

For those areas with toll roads, I thought this explains it fairly well; http://www.e-zpassiag.com/about-e-zpass/85-map

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:19 AM   #26
WaltBennett

First, I've traveled the Pen State Parkway, the Ohio and Indiana TPs both with and without an EP while towing two axle trailers. It's much cheaper with the EP than without. There IS a discount.

I was told when I got my EP that I should get a second one for when I was not towing our 5th wheel. Since I don't need to use any toll roads when not going somewhere without the trailer, I declined. The lady said that in that case to put the EP in the glove box and pay manually or I'd be charged as if I was towing as that's what the EP was set for. That's why you're being charged the same as if you were towing when you aren't. Nothing counts axles or weighs you.

We also found out last year that Oklahoma (and Texas?) don't take EP, but do have toll roads.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:39 AM   #27
bmach

Once again, Walt you are talking about the multi axle transponder, not the normal one. With the multi axle you are charged whether towing or not but the regular one does not.

The FAQs answers that question and the lanes DO count axles if using the regular transponder.

If it did not then explain why I get charged more with the trailer than without it or why after ten plus years of using ezpass I have never had a violation while trailering?
Old 07-23-2015, 06:46 AM   #28
rfinley

Quote:
What you posted was the form for the multi axle transponder.
Yes, what I posted is for multi axle transponder. I do believe any toll area that has been updated in the last few years will count axles but my little exit with two little toll booths does not count axles. I travel the Thruway with the camper and a 10,000 # utility trailer so I inquired and got the multi axle transponder. If you go through a couple times with the wrong transponder will you get caught ?? Not very likely. I tow with a two axle trailer many times through out the year so I'm not taking the chance. Plus currently the toll rates are cheaper using E-zPass !!
rfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:12 AM   #29
bmach

Let's try another one.

From Mass dot, as they explain how the ez pass system works.

Automatic vehicle classification
The amount of the toll you pay is based on the number of axles and wheels on your vehicle, as well as where you are traveling. Classification of vehicles in an ETC lane is accomplished through the use of automatic sensors that count axles, detect dual wheels, and count vehicles with a high degree of precision.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:13 AM   #30
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Once again, Walt you are talking about the multi axle transponder, not the normal one. With the multi axle you are charged whether towing or not but the regular one does not.

The FAQs answers that question and the lanes DO count axles if using the regular transponder.

If it did not then explain why I get charged more with the trailer than without it or why after ten plus years of using ezpass I have never had a violation while trailering?
bmach, I agree, We have two transponders, one for my wife's SUV and one for my PU. When not towing we pay the same toll. Non-commercial two axle. (car toll) When I tow the trailer I get charged for the extra two axles and I always use the express lanes when available ...... The system knows when I am towing or not. I don't know about other state's transponders but New Jersey's works this way in NJ, DE, MD, PA and NY. The only difference between my transponder and my wife's is class of private vehicle it is registered to .... class 70> or class 200>. Some states offer discounts for RVs, so in that instance I can understand a separate transponder for towing. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #31
WaltBennett

Quote:

Hate to tell you, but mine is no different than any other one (save for the carpool ones that have two modes), just SET for four axles and not two. If I got a second one, it would be the same model, but SET for two axles, not four.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
Old 07-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #32
bmach

Walt, how do you set it for two axles?
Old 07-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #33
That Girl Racing

We are from Canada and have a NY EZ-Pass. Love it!! We have a 40foot triple axle Fuzion and a Ford F450. Paid a fortune in tolls before and we are still paying a fortune now but it sure is easier.
That Girl Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:04 AM   #34
WaltBennett

Quote:
Walt, how do you set it for two axles?
Can't. It's set by VA EZ Pass to four. I stick it in the center console when not towing. Like I said earlier, I'd have to get a second box that was set for two axles and switch the two whenever needed.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #35
bmach

But you don't need a second one!!!

This is from the NJ EZ Pass FAQ to go along with the others I have already posted.

I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle. Can I still use my tag?
Yes. In this instance the equipment in the lane is designed to identify that your vehicle is pulling a trailer and you will be charged accordingly. However, if you think this will be a regular occurrence, you should call the Customer Service Center and have them send you a tag programmed for the vehicle classification you use most frequently. You should never use your tag in a vehicle type other than the one you initially requested (i.e. Car tag in a tractor-trailer).

Get rid if the multi axle and just a regular one, mount it and forget about it.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:14 AM   #36
Ram189

I called Maryland EZ pass and they told me it did not matter if it was 2 or 4 axles. The tool booth would figure it out and charge you the correct amount from there.
I called twice and got the same answer from both people I talked to.

Guess we will see when I start on our trip this weekend to Ohio.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #37
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Cool

To be honest with you never even thought about another class of EZ PASS. Over the last few years have used the one from the Van threw it in the truck hooked up and left. At a minimum have used it consistently in PA, WV and I think may have used it in other States. Basically if see EZ Pass lane HERE WE GO. I just assumed the station would count axles and charge accordingly Have not logged on to even check what was charged Co pilots responsibility and account

EDIT: NY trip in future I guess we will see
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #38
Tom N OH

OH, IN & PA have equipment at the toll booths that will count the axles & charge accordingly.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #39
vampress_me

This is interesting with all the information from everyone and from the different states agencies themselves.

When I called Ohio to get an EZ Pass in June before our trip I was told the regular passenger vehicle one could not be used because of the fifth wheel. And would need "the blue one" that's for more than 2 axles. So, got the blue EZ Pass in the mail and used it. I loved not having to stop and pay at every toll booth!

So, curiosity, has anyone else crossed Indiana from state line to state line staying on I-80 with a normal EZ Pass and what did it cost you? With the blue pass, it cost $30.43 eastbound and $31.37 westbound. I'm just curious if it is more with the blue than a normal one towing a fifth wheel. We used the pass the whole trip in Illinios, Indiana, and Ohio on I-90, I-80, and whatever there may have been to get around Cleveland on I-480/271. The whole trip both ways was $169.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:57 AM   #40
WaltBennett

Don't have a blue one. Mine's white. Can't find out what PA and OH cost us last year (statement's not online anymore & printout is in our tax records), but we went all the way from Breezewood to Goshen, IN. It WAS a lot cheaper as well as quicker than stopping.