Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
miller8179

Tons of problems with new Copper Canyon 292FWBHS - Lemon?

We thought we had bought a good RV but now we're in the process of filing a lemon law suit in our state.

We bought a 292 FWBHS and have run into several problems:

1) Air conditioner not mounted correctly and leaking into the unit
2) All sewer valves leaking (resulting in many messy situations)
3) Leaky fitting under the sinks. The dealer says the lines were missing various fittings and seals!
4) Major issue with the front jacks. They constantly blow fuses and the manually crank wont work on them.
5) Screwy blinds that won't close correctly.
6) Incorrectly labeled holding tanks
7) Faulty tank gauge

Etc.....

Our unit has spent more time in the shop than it has with us. We're actually regretting buying our first RV!

With all of these issues, we're wondering what issues exist in the walls, or the ceiling, or in the other areas that we do not see. It disgusts me to think about it!!!

Anyone else have problems with this unit?
miller8179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
Jim W

I am sorry for your issues with this model of camper and I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Did you do a pre-deliver audit with a check list? IF you had I believe most of these issue would have been caught before you even left the dealer. I know my dealer had the camper in a heated shop for 24 HRS with everything working before we did our pre-deliver audit.

By this I mean the holding tanks were full and we empty them at the dealer. The A/C and heater were running and fresh water was working correctly. All lighting was working and I was able to climb on the roof and check for proper sealing with no tears or rips in the rubber roof.

The only time you have an advantage with the dealer is when you are purchasing the camper. The dealer will make everything right before you buy or he will provide a different model. But once you pull out, it is your camper and some dealers forget that you even bought the camper from them and you are on your own.

Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
antiqfreq

My sentiments to you also regarding the RV you purchased.

Certainly if your problems cannot be rectified in a timely manner and to your satisfaction then filing a lawsuit may be your only answer. And if you have a lemon-law in your state - make use of it.

I am hoping that your RV dealer and/or Keystone will come through for you before you have to go to extremes!

Please keep us informed of your position.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Firecapt

I too am sorry to hear that you are having so many problems with your 1st (new) RV.

Starting immediately, I would document (keep a journal) of every contact with the dealer or Keystone. Include:
  • Dates & times
    Who you dealt with
    What was said
    What (if anything) was fixed
    Any costs to you
    Etc., etc.
This is vital since you may ultimately need "proof" of what you did to attempt a resolution to the situation.

I don't think any state has a "Lemon Law" that applies to RV's, but I could be wrong. In the end, it will be your persistence and constant vigilance that carry the day.

If, after several tries, the dealer doesn't seem to be resolving the problems, call Keystone, explain all the issues and ask them for a solution. Perhaps they will send you to another dealer in your area that will take care of the situation; alternately, they may want to take a more hands-on approach to working with you to resolve this.

Again, sorry that this has to be your introduction to the world of RV'ing. Take heart, things will get better, and you will have many great adventures and wonderful times ahead!

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Tigertracks

I have had some problems with my unit, maybe not to your level however:
1. a/c does not cool well. I need to have someone check to see if the air is leaking into the "attic".
2.No leaking sewer valves that I have noticed.
3. One leaky fitting on outside faucet.
4. Front jacks blew several fuses then failed altogether. Dealer repaired under warranty, returned today, worked when I got home.
I am concerned about the power and design of the jack assembly.
5. The blinds snagged a lot until I clamped the clips on the end curtains. I may remove the curtains as they are only for looks anyway.
6. My holding tanks were also labeled backward. Was amazed at how fast the black tank was filling up until I figured it out. There must be an idiot working at that plant.
7. My tank gauges seem to be working fine.

All in all I am satisfied with my first RV. I may just have to add a second a/c and I will have to monitor the jack system. I read about one camper who added another motor so that each jack was powered, but at about $1000 I hope I can avoid that option.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
miller8179

Well we're about to begin the legal process for the lemon law in Texas. The problems continue with this brand new Keystone RV and we've had enough.

Will keep you all posted.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
miller8179

Lawyer is handling it now....
Old 02-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
geo

Just curious

Miller8179 -

Just curious, but your RV dealer wasn't Fun Time RV out of Cleburne, was it?

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
dandlbro

Sorry to hear you are having all these troubles....I hope you do have a lemon law...We bought a 2008 Montana 3665 and it also was a lemon...We had major issues with that thing and MN has a lemon law only on motorized rv's....We finally got rid of it and now have a Cardinal by Forest River which is better for us....I will never buy another Keystone r.v......Good Luck
dandlbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

danddlbro:
To quote you from 3 of your posts...."We will never get another Keystone product again. Save yourself some grief and shop elsewhere!!!! Their workmanship is crap".........
"We've gotten rid of it and now have a nice used Cardinal by Forest River and will never own another Keystone"........
"We finally got rid of it and now have a Cardinal by Forest River which is better for us. I will never buy another Keystone rv. Good luck".

Not sure why you want to stick around this forum other than to trash Keystone and its products. You have had ample opportunity to express your dissatisfaction and you have been heard. Perhaps you might consider looking for and joining a Forest River forum. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
RonVal

Sorry to hear about your problems. We bought a Copper Canyon 273 fwret in april and only had one minor issue with it that I was able to easily fix.
RonVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:11 AM   #12
mikell

Yup our Alpine is nothing short of wonderful. The tanks were marked wrong as well as the water valves but other than that. Now the AC is having problems but it is 7AM with a heat index of 90 and supposed to go to 95 today with an index of 112. It's keeping the place about 75 so not too bad a second unit might be in order but so far I can live with it.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #13
Rastatt055

We had a water leak in our unit. Small, but it ruined some of the wood around the cubbards. The dealership has an excellent service dept and they fixed it up. Also had the toilet replaced. The workmanship is not what I would do if I built fivers, but the materials are good quality. Overall we are pleased with our unit.
Rastatt055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:28 AM   #14
dave-g

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I also had 2 small water leaks I fixed myself.

Not what you want to hear but all RV's have some problems. A friend of mine has a $250,000 diesel pusher that has spent 18 of the last 24 months at the dealer.

Document every thing!!!!

To me the sad part is how many dealers/ manufactures do not seem to resolve issues. Things like a water leak or a bad water level gauge should be an easy fix.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #15
Outbackmel

Thank you Festus

Right words and advice. Many of us are happy campers with our Keystone products. We look for solutions versus complaints through the forum. I personally find it very useful. Many of the complaints could be locally resolved.
There are dealers who will perform warranty work. I just had kitchen blinds replaced by a non selling dealer. I am not saying that "incorrect" A/C installation should be tolerated; or leaking sewer joints are OK, BUT; the factory needs to have the opportunity to understand the "issue". Many of us, me included, are not mechanically proficient to understand the issues.
I am smart enough to know that many of the issues as stated, can be amicably resolved for the buyer. Sometimes just trading out of a unit may be the best solution. Regardless of any complete resolution, the confidence in that unit or manufacturer has left the gate. No turning back.

RV's represent a significant capital investment for all of us. It is an investment of opportunity to have "fun"; and more important; SAFE; experiences. The factory is complicit and responsible for the "safe" portion whether they acknowledge that to themselves or in court. Just ask any automobile manufacturer.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #16
larrev

Problems with Copper Canyon 292

I to am having problems with my 2011 Copper Canyon 292. Aside from the holding tanks being mis marked as it seems all are. I can not use my air conditioner for more than about 10 minutes at a time as it pops the circuit breakers in the box. When it gets to be about 100 degrees inside I begin to dislike Keystone very much.
Any worde of advice.
larrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #17
RCrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
Not what you want to hear but all RV's have some problems. A friend of mine has a $250,000 diesel pusher that has spent 18 of the last 24 months at the dealer.
The owner of the company I used to work for had a Newell Coach, well over $1 million new. We were constantly working on little problems with it.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:36 AM   #18
antiqfreq

Wonder if the original poster has any resolve to his original issue or not ?

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #19
Flyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller8179 View Post
We thought we had bought a good RV but now we're in the process of filing a lemon law suit in our state.

We bought a 292 FWBHS and have run into several problems:

1) Air conditioner not mounted correctly and leaking into the unit
2) All sewer valves leaking (resulting in many messy situations)
3) Leaky fitting under the sinks. The dealer says the lines were missing various fittings and seals!
4) Major issue with the front jacks. They constantly blow fuses and the manually crank wont work on them.
5) Screwy blinds that won't close correctly.
6) Incorrectly labeled holding tanks
7) Faulty tank gauge
First off, much of this should have been caught on the PDI inspection and fixed at the dealership before hauling it home!

1) either the bolts are loose or the gasket needs to be replaced and torqued correctly.

2) The sewer valves located outside and under the RV either have failing seals which need replacing or the whole valve needs replacing (all of them).

3) Many times the drain joints are just loose if it's the drains, the supply lines are a simple replacement if that's the problem.

4) The landing gear jacks should not be binding and if they are the dealer should correct the problem. I would insist that he replace them. Otherwise if the gear is forced beyound it's limits then the fuse would blow to protect the unit.

5) I think everyone has problems with blinds in some way or another and all of that should have been caught on the PDI.

6) Why is it a problem to relabel the holding tanks? Again you should have caught this on the PDI and requested that the dealer relabel them correctly.

7) On the holding tank gauges, if they are faulty replace them, if they need to be cleaned the dealer should have cleaned them and/or checked the wiring under the trailer to make sure that they are connected properly (most of the time they are just dirty).

I am amazed at how many problems have turned up! Did you say that this is a brand new unit?

Was your dealer "Fun Time RV" by any chance? I see their ads a lot on the internet. When I see this much in the way of failures caught on the PDI I tell the dealer to show me another unit or I say thankyou for your time and move on. Remember that he's not the only dealer and if he wanted to charge you a dealer prep fee on the paperwork ........ just laugh and say "exactly what did you do for the fee besides install a battery and fill the LP tanks?". Never rely on the honesty of a dealership no matter what RV or who you are buying it from, it doesn't work like buying a car. I visit the Forest River forum from time to time and have seen some shoddy work posted by some of the members there also so no one is immune.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #20
8LVISE

Lightbulb Mislabeled holding tanks

I am amazed how many of us have mislabeled holding tanks. We found out on our second trip by having purchased a clear extension to our sewer hose. I could tell that the "black tank" waste didn't look too bad, but the "grey tank" sludge looked like...well, you know
I'm so glad we found this out now. I shudder to think how I may have opening the wrong valve when trying to power rinse my black tank
8LVISE is offline   Reply With Quote