Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
tclucy

Movement in Fifth Wheel-moved from New Member

Have a 2002 Montana 5th wheel Mod. 2955RL the entire front seems to be moving up and down when I hitch up. It is not the pin box. Anyone have a problem with this?
tclucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
jsmith948

We haven't seen any movement such as you describe when we hitch or un-hitch our 5er. I would check for bulges or buckled, out-of-alignment panels in both the interior and exterior of your bedroom. How much does it flex? Can you feel it while towing? You might do a forum search for threads regarding frame issues.
What you are describing could be an indication of a weakened or cracking frame.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
tclucy

5th wheel moved

Thank you for the info. It moves about 3/4 of an inch. Not sure how long it has been doing that. It may have moved since new but I do not think so. Talked to the repair guy and he said it may move that much but not sure if this is a beginning of a problem or not. I can see that the molding on the outside opens up a little when it is hooked up. There was a Montana in the shop I go to that had to have the whole front end redone. $8,000 I am not going to spend that kind of money.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

The molding on the outside shouldn't be opening up when you are hooked up. From your description, it would appear as though there is some separation taking place which shouldn't be happening.

How much are separation are we talking about? When you say the "outside opens up a little", can you be a bit more specific? Exactly where is this gap other than on "the outside"?

If you are able, a photo of this "gap" would be helpful to better understand the extent of the problem.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
tclucy

It opens up 1/32 inch. Opens right at the curve on the side of the 5th wheel. No other panels or anything else moves that I can see. hope that helps.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

If you were to very slowly lower the pin box onto the TV hitch and try to observe what part or parts of the front of the 5th wheel are moving, that might help pinpoint where the problem lies.

I take it that there is no gap or opening showing until the 5th wheel has been fully lowered onto the hitch and that the pin weight of the RV is now completely "resting" on the hitch thus exposing the gap. Is this right?

When the 5th wheel is resting on the front landing jacks, there is no gap ....correct?

Is the gap on both sides of the curved section or just one side?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Ron

Sounds like a Frame Flex Issue to me, I have had that problem. If you go into the bedroom closet, take a close look at the floor, then lower it onto the TV, observe how much movement you get on the floor. Also where the front lower corner of the bedroom slide is, there is a molding to allow side panel vertical movement, observe that location and see if the panels are moving against one another, if so I would get it checked by an RV dealer asap. Good Luck...
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote