Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2013, 04:50 AM   #1
Ffbill

Slideout moves while traveling

I have a 2012 Alpine, and the bedroom slide comes out about 2 - 2 1/2 inches while traveling. This has been looked at 3 times and is in the shop now for same problem. Has anyone had this happen and what was found to be causing it?
Ffbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
jlb27537

Cause: Lippert Hydraulics
Correction: Stop by Harbor Freight and get a set of load locks. You will have to cut them down to fit, but the slide will not come out any more.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
jay123

Are you losing fluid ? If yes track the oil back to the starting spot just because you see oil on the hose or part you need to back track the oil. If not losing oil most likely you will have a bad O-RING (seal) in side the valve body on the relief valve (holding valve) or bad packing or loose piston inside the cly on your slide. I know on some systems (non rv) have valve mounted right at the cly. ports so the cly stays locked if you lose hyd pressure before the cly. maybe you can ask about what they checked then ask what about this?? Hydraulics can be a at times.
jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
waltec

Have the same problem with my 2011 Alpine. It went in to the dealer and they claimed air in the hydraulic lines. They said they had it fixed and I drove away....first turn out comes the slide 3 inches.
the best way to fix the problem that works for me is after I hitch it up and landing legs are up i go back in the trailer and re pressurize the bedroom slide. Problem solved,slide stays locked in and has never come out again.
The trick is to re pressurize the bedroom slide after the front landing jacks are up.
Hope this helps.
waltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
Gonfast38

Same thing on my 2012.

I have the same thing going on with my 2012 Alpine. It all started on the way home from the dealer. I thought I was doing something wrong but when I got home I called and they said it was air. I ran them in and out several times then a short road trip. Same thing. I took it back to the dealer, stopping twice on the 60 mile trip to close the slides. They had it a couple weeks and I got it back, supposedly fixed. I drove around a bit and seemed ok.

Then our first camping trip. Made the 200 mile trip there just fine. On the way home, I really wasn't paying much attention for the first 30 miles or so and I looked back and the bedroom slide was out about 18" and both living room slides were out 12". Its a good thing I wasn't on a two lane, someone could have gotten hurt. I had to stop every 15-20 miles to close them. It went back to the dealer, they had it for about a month to fix it. I finally got it back late fall. At least they winterized it for free.

Fast forward to yesterday. After one twenty mile test trip last fall, it sat all winter. I had to move it yesterday to get it cleaned up for the season. I moved it all of about 150' and guess what, the bedroom slide was open about 4". I emailed Keystone and the dealer yesteday (Sunday) with my problem. The dealer called this morning and they are on their way to pick it up. He told me the Lippert rep was in two weeks ago and he discussed my camper. Are they using mine as a training aid? Anyway, it will probably be gone for awhile again. I will try to be patient. The service tech did ask one question that struck a nerve, "is there anything else that needs to be looked at?" How would I know, only been camping once in the 8 months I have owned it.

As for Waltec's approach, I am glad it was that simple for him, but that obviously won't fix mine. After stopping multiple times on the trip home last fall, it won't stay closed after re-pressurizing. Installing load locks on three slides every time I travel? I won't settle for that. Lets see what Keystone/dealer can come up with this time.
Gonfast38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
Gonfast38

Update

Well, after sending a couple email alot has transpired. The dealer was the first to respond. They said they would come pick it up and work on it to see if they could figure it out. About 20 minutes later, they called and said a truck had just left to come pick it up. Great. This morning I got a call from Keystone. They wanted to send a transport to pick it up and take it to the manufature for repair. Even Better! They are going to pick it up at the dealer and get on it immediately. They even said they would adjust my warrantee since I have only been able to use it one weekend since August. Kudos to Keystone for standing tall on the issue. We will see what happens next.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
DocData757

I had the same thing on mine. my 3 rear slides would come out about 2" while I was driving. I stopped, pulled them back in, closed all 4 slide valves on the manifold and drove again. This time, only the kitchen slide was coming out. I put a hold in the low point of the underbelly covering and got a lot hydraulic fluid running out.

After a detailed search, I found the rubber seal on the end of the ram for that slide was hanging out. Hydraulic fluid ran out the end and into the belly.

Got the seal replaced under warranty along with all the oil soaked insulation and never had the problem again.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
Gonfast38

Update

Just thought I would update the forum on my issues. I just heard from Keystone that my rig is done. They are going to take it on a 50 mile test run today, and hopefully deliver it by the weekend.

They indicated several issues were at fault. The indicated one line with a check valve was installed backwards. No big deal there. They also indicated there was a faulty valve somewhere else in the system. The worst problem is that they found metal shavings in the fluid. As a result, they replaced the entire hydraulic system, lines and all. Hopefully, all will be right in the world.

Once again, Kudos to Keystone for standing behind it. Had they not taken it back to the factory, the dealer probably would have replaced a cylinder, only to have it fail in short order (through no fault of the dealer). I would have been taking it back up again soon. I can't say it was a pleasureable experience, but given the situation, I can say it was satisfying.

Tags
slideout