Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
BruLaz

Freezing fresh water pipes? Laredo 240MK and others ...

We looked at a Laredo 240MK the other week. And have a few questions about this and other Keystone models that we're looking at.

I guess the fresh water tank and most F.W. plumbing is under the floor? So you really do need the heated enclosed under belly to keep those pipes from freezing.

The pump sounds like it's located in a small boxed-in area of the pass-through? This is more accessible than the under belly, but is also unheated.

We have encountered 6 below weather when we camp in Ohio on our way to Florida, and I usually do travel with some water in the tank as Ohio S.P.s have closed off their water by November.

But my current trailer has the FW tank and plumbing ('cept drains) all inside. So our electric heater does the job.

Just not sure how this will work with the Laredo 240MK or other Keystone products. Sub-zero weather so far has only been over-night, and we don't plan on any extended winter camping. We go to Florida to get away from all that!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
chuck&gail

On mine all tanks and plumbing is in the enclosed belly. This means I need to run the PROPANE furnace, as that is the only way to keep it warm in the belly. Electric heater will keep US warm, but NOT the plumbing.

Be real sure you know what heats your tank and plumbing.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
BruLaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck&gail View Post
On mine all tanks and plumbing is in the enclosed belly. This means I need to run the PROPANE furnace, as that is the only way to keep it warm in the belly. Electric heater will keep US warm, but NOT the plumbing.

Be real sure you know what heats your tank and plumbing.
Thanks, I guess that's how it works with all these trailers with "heated underbellies". The Laredo's underbelly seemed to be sealed up pretty well.

As long as the propane furnace is not too loud, it should work for us.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
SteveC7010

An overnight freeze is enough to break things in your water system.

The enclosed underbelly (so-called Polar Package) is really a three season system and winter is not one of them. It will not protect you from a single digit freeze.

If you are going to be out in really cold weather (25F or colder), you should probably plan on draining the water pipes, FW tank, and water heater. I'd blow the system out myself, but then I have replaced too much piping, and too many toilets valves and such due to freeze damage over the years to be any less cautious. Most on other folk's rigs, but some on my first TT many years ago.

If I knew I was going to be on the road in weather as cold as you describe, I'd leave the system fully winterized and carry some extra bottled water.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
BruLaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
An overnight freeze is enough to break things in your water system.

The enclosed underbelly (so-called Polar Package) is really a three season system and winter is not one of them. It will not protect you from a single digit freeze.

If you are going to be out in really cold weather (25F or colder), you should probably plan on draining the water pipes, FW tank, and water heater. I'd blow the system out myself, but then I have replaced too much piping, and too many toilets valves and such due to freeze damage over the years to be any less cautious. Most on other folk's rigs, but some on my first TT many years ago.

If I knew I was going to be on the road in weather as cold as you describe, I'd leave the system fully winterized and carry some extra bottled water.
That 6 below freezing was a surprise. Ohio Valley in Early-Mid November? The exposed dump valves froze up so that had to wait until the next day, and one drain valve broke (my trailer's drain valves are on the outside for some reason, even though all the other plumbing is inside.)

And yes, If I'd known, we would probably would have brought our water separately in jerry cans. Better safe than sorry.

But if this under-belly heating business really works, cranking up the furnace might just have saved the day ... maybe.

All these trailers are pretty different, even in the same line, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruLaz View Post

But if this under-belly heating business really works, cranking up the furnace might just have saved the day ... maybe.

All these trailers are pretty different, even in the same line, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
I think it has already been mentioned but you need to realize that any heat that reaches the pipes in the underbelly will be heated only when the furnace is running. If it is significantly below freezing for prolonged periods, then the furnace would have to run constantly to provide heat.

Because of the lack of adequate insulation and the rapid dissipation of heat in the underbelly, I would not trust the "under-belly heating business" to protect the plumbing. What insulation there is has been poorly applied and distributed and there are so many openings where cold air can enter that any heat that does find its way to the pipes is most likely minimal at best.

Frozen water lines and/or pump is not something you want to experience. It can be a costly and extensive repair.

I'd err on the side of caution and take bottled water with me if I were venturing out in flucuating weather conditions that could turn cold without warning and catch me unprepared. Until such time as I was absolutely sure that there was no danger of freeze-up, I'd leave my unit winterized as was suggested earlier.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
chuck&gail

Had no problems camping in the high teens. We do not use the electric heater when it is near freezing, only the furnace. Other than that no special precautions.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
BruLaz

The Laredo 240MK's underbelly seemed to be sealed up pretty tight. Looked like they used some sort of caulk or glue where the plastic sheet is attached to the I frame. And all drain holes and other entry points had gobs of foam coming out around the pipes/drains.

Over time though this could easily get worse for wear I suppose.

No idea what the underbelly looks like inside in terms of insulation though, and certainly wouldn't want to remove the plastic sheeting to find out.

Working on these things must be a pain. Had sort of planned to add a SeeLevel tank gauge system on my next RV. But now, I dunno.

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
fireidiot

We are going camping this weekend. I sanatized the system tonight. It's going to be 25 here in St Louis tonight. I am planning on leaving the propane heater run just in case tonight. I drained the FW tank, and the lines - leaving the low point drains and all faucet valves open. Heres to hoping I dont break something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2