Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
rosede

Backing into my storage spot

I have an Outback 272RK, overall length is 30'.

My storage space is 12' wide. I have a large fifth wheel on passenger side, and a smaller camper on drivers side. The space in which I have to back into the spot is very narrow.

My question is; how sharp of an angle can I use to back into my storage space? When I back in, I currently don't make to sharp of an angle because I'm concerned about putting a strain on the frame or tongue or something. Because of the two campers on each side, and the narrow area in which I have to negotiate the turn, I make at least three attempts to back into the spot. I'll back in to a point, pull forward repositioning, back in a bit more, pull forward repositioning some more, then finally fully backing in. However, if I can put a sharper angle on the turn, I should be able to do it in one full turn, or at least cut down on the number of times I have to pull up and repositioning. But as I said, I'm concerned about putting to much of a strain on the frame or the camper. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Daryl
rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
byrdr1

Daryl ,
only you can determine the angle you need to get backed in, in one movement. if the way you are doing is working I would not change that. I would be more concerned about messing up my hitch set up than the frame or tongue. make sure you are unhooked from all the WDH set up and just use the ball on receiver. you are not towing it any lenght and the weight should be OK. I have the same problem backing on to my pad at home. I have to get just right on the road and start the back in, get about half way in and pull forward then work it some more. PLUS I am backing in from the "blind" side. This way I am backing down the hill into the driveway and not pushing the camper up the hill into the drive way. I have tried it both ways and "blind side" backing works best for me.
Use the wife to make sure I have the right angle and not going to pop the trees on the drivers side of camper. I have review camera but it is still hard to see whats out of the corners of the camper(side view camera would be nice).
JMHO
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
MISailor

My biggest concern would be leaving strain on the tires when I was done. Even though you may get the trailer in the spot you want with one tight turn, the tires might still be torqued. If possible, I would go further back than you need to and then pull striaght forward to the proper parking spot to unload the side walls of the tires. If you can't go back far enough to do this, I think many, repeated small turns would be preferred to one tight turn. I'm fortunate that where I park my TT that I have enough space to get it all lined up and then can back it striaght in. Also, it helps that my TT is only baby at about 23' overall
2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
jsmith948

As an old commercial driver, my answer would be that "pull-ups" don't count.
I've known many drivers who bragged about putting their rig "in the whole in one shot" and some of them never hit anything - but many of them did. Damaging their equipment - and their pride.
Don't worry about backing in in one movement. I like your approach. Pulling forward to straighten the angle and improve your visibility is smart. (and easier on your trailer's suspension)
If you can't see and you don't have a spotter - don't be afraid to Get Out And Look (G.O.A.L.) JMHO - FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
rosede

Thank you gentleman for the information.

I upgraded from an 18' to this 30' in September. I've only pulled the new camper a few times, and only had to back it in a couple of times. Its a big change going from a smaller 18' to a longer and wider 30'. It'll take some getting used to. I had not been taking off the WD bars, but I think that I will from now on.

Also, when I had the 18', I had a smaller spot, and I could pull forward, straightening out, and back straight in. But, when I upgraded the camper, I had to upgrade the storage spot as well. Can't squeeze a 30' into a 20' spot. , but that made parking more challenging.

I guess I'll have to practice a few more times to get the angles worked out. I was just worried that if I turn to sharp, and put to sharp of an angle during the turn that I could end up causing some damage.

The camper was put away for the winter Sunday, so next spring, when we start going out, I'll start by taking off the WD bars and then see how it goes from there.

Thank you for the feed back. Its always appreciated.

Daryl
rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
MISailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosede View Post
Its a big change going from a smaller 18' to a longer and wider 30'. It'll take some getting used to.
Indeed! I could back my 23' Cub hybrid like a champ but it was only 7'3" wide. I was surprised how much more of a challage the 8' wide Premier was the first time I tried backing it.
2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
hankaye

rosede, Howdy;

I'll agree with what jsmith948 said, I too have a commerical driving
background, the amount of 'pull-ups' dosen't matter. Protecting your investment is the most important thing to do.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
Bob Landry

Not only does pulling out straight increase your view on both sides, it cuts down on the amount of twist applied to the tires. Remember, they are on solid axles and do not turn independently.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
Mighty Ming

As said I wouldn't change your approach. Getting that sucker parked safely without damage is the goal. So what if it takes several attempts. As time goes on you'll be parking it like it was your old smaller unit. I agree on taking of the WD hitch and easing the strain off the tires. What helps me is I take good quality duct tape and put it on the driveway where the tires should track. Once in the perfect spot I mark the position of the now parked tires with the tape and aim for that spot each time. No sweat gettin er done that way. I only have about 3 inches clearance on the drivers side so gotta be dead on. Putting it this close to the house allows room on the other side for me to squeeze in the doors into the TT. I put the pieces of tape down a year ago and it is still in place. Just use good tape. Storage unit was asphalt and it stayed in place as well. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
crash

We have a 42ft 5thwheel and I can back that big thing better than my boat or small quad trailer ,them small ones , one turn of the wheel and it is beside you damn it..
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
Outbackmel

Backing practice makes "better"

I say better because perfect is for someone who drives for a living and has to back perfectly to those loading docks with semi's on either side.

What I do is assess the spot by looking for any obstacles on either side and hanging overhead. After that I lay out 4 or 5 plastic wheel chocks on the drivers side on the line I wish to follow. Very easy to open the door and see if you are on line. I always try to use mirrors, but, not always successful. I will say that back and forth across the US, I have yet to damage my unit by hitting something, and, trust me, there have been some tight, crazy places to get in or out of. Sometimes when you pull in a space, your "new" overnight neighbor changes the movement dynamic

The key as mentioned here is get out and look as often as necessary. No damage is more important than listening to well intentioned people who will "help" you park until you smack something. Then they are gone

My home spot in the mountains of GA looks EZ to back in , but, there is a huge, 2 ft high rock right in my pull up and turn radius. Soooo, I have to jump in and out several times because I cannot just pull forward and turn tighter.
I place my unit within 6 inches each time I move it. This allows me maximum space for personal use on my 60ft concrete slab. Also, no extended slide can hang over any grass area as to not impede professional mowers.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote