Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
SmittysRV

Low DC on the fridge

I have a 2011 Raptor 4014 Velocity and am currently have an issue with the batteries, I think. I have taken to the dealer and they tell me the batteries are checking out okay. However, I can't even make it threw the night with just the fridge on without the fridge flashing lowdc. The other day I had just unplugged the Raptor (from 110 at the house) and hooked up to my truck and towed it to the dealer. It's about a 45 minute ride there. Once at the dealer I checked batterie power on the info panel and it showed full. I then went to start the gen and immediately the fridge went to lowdc and the panel showed the batteries at 1/3. What's going on here? The dealer thinks it might be the panel... I still think the two 12 volt batteries on this coach are pretty inadequate for the size. Any thoughts?

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
Donegal Bill

Bad panel or short circuit ??

I own a 2012 Raptor 395LEV..
I have 2 batteries and could survive 4 days with minimum DC draw..I replaced all my bulbs with LED's and removed the bulb in the Gen. fuel guage..I also installed two knife switches on both batteries because of parasitic draw from some of the equipment that isn't included in the factory cut off switch. I dry camp quite a bit, and as the Raptor came from the factory, it would only last 2 days dry camping with two batteries. I also fire up the Generator for about an hour a day just to top them off. But with the LED's and the rest of my improvements, I can rely on at least 4 days without too much worry..
2012 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Crew
Donegal Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I would unplug from your house. Turn off every 12v draw possible.... And let it sit for 2 hours like this... And THEN put a volt meter on each battery individually.. And the 2 together (like the RV sees it).. And post those readings.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
SmittysRV

Thx for the tips!! I wanna remove that gen light too, great idea! I will try that 2 day test if the dealer doesn't come up with a fix, they have it right now..

Old 10-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittysRV View Post
I have a 2011 Raptor 4014 Velocity and am currently have an issue with the batteries, I think. I have taken to the dealer and they tell me the batteries are checking out okay. However, I can't even make it threw the night with just the fridge on without the fridge flashing lowdc. The other day I had just unplugged the Raptor (from 110 at the house) and hooked up to my truck and towed it to the dealer. It's about a 45 minute ride there. Once at the dealer I checked batterie power on the info panel and it showed full. I then went to start the gen and immediately the fridge went to lowdc and the panel showed the batteries at 1/3. What's going on here? The dealer thinks it might be the panel... I still think the two 12 volt batteries on this coach are pretty inadequate for the size. Any thoughts?
Something's amiss somewhere. Two 12vdc batteries, even the smaller Group 24's, should power the coach for at least 24 to 48 hours unless there is heavy power consumption like having all the incandescent lights on all evening or running the furnace a lot.

You probably need to do a complete power inventory to see if there is something running that you're not aware of.

If the fridge goes low voltage and the idiot lights on the panel show low too, it's not the panel. The problem is else where.

Also, check the batteries for water level and get a tester and check the specific gravity of each cell. It's possible you have a bad cell. If that is the case, you can easily figure out which battery it is by running the coach on just one battery for a while and then switching to the other. The bad one will show itself right quick.

FWIW, we dry camp a lot with a pair of Group 24's. The only time I worry about them is when we use the furnace steadily in cold weather.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
SmittysRV

Thx Steve, I will look closer at the batteries.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
SmittysRV

Amazing stuff here. My Raptor was at the dealer (MTRV) for just under a month and they couldn’t figure out what was wrong with my battery issue. I pick the thing up and have the same problem the minute I get home, the fridge is shower lodc and the control panel is shower E on the batteries. Crazy!! I look at the batteries and notice they are Group 24 batteries. Apparently they removed my old batteries from my old coach I traded in on this one. The Group 24 batteries are obviously way small for the Raptor 4014… Dah!!!!! I went down the street and picked up two 6volts and hooked them up. Amazing enough, the things hold charge and work great!!!! Now to bill the dealer for my new batteries.