Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #21
Outbackmel

Better listen to experience

Keystone will not advise you. It's called LIABILITY. Take that heavy spare off and put it in your truck. Period. OR, go to a welding shop and have them make you a bumper. Even then, too much STUFF back there. I tried it and does not make for peace of mind. Now carry only 2 bikes, with wheel supported carrier. I also put one on the ladder. Anything else goes UNDER the rv in storage.
Its not only your safety but others on the road as well.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
ebomb

so i called keystone and was told no more than 150lbs on the bumper,WTF!! this might be the straw that broke the camels back, i just bought this 2012 rbi back in june and it has been in the shop 3 times so far, every time i go on a trip i have a list of things that need to be fixed and then to top it off when i called keystone to ask about the bumper weight i complained about how many times its been to the dealer and the customer support said I'm not the only one that has the problems i was shocked, is aid were the quality control when they build these and the support tech agreed with me.does it get better? cause I'm ready to take a loss and try and buy back my 96 sun line that i didn't have a payment on. not a happy camper right now!!!
ebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #23
Festus2
Site Team

Notwithstanding the other issues you have with your RV, you can still utilize the bike rack and the 2" receiver you have. If you weld the receiver to the frame, you can use the bike rack to safely carry the bikes. If you have room in your truck bed, the spare tire can be carried there.
I realize that making these modifications will require you to spend more $$$ which you are probably not enthusiastic about. Rather than take a loss on this RV, it might be worth your while to look into making changes that will allow you to take your bikes with you. If that is important, then it might be to your advantage to do that.
Numerous members have expressed concern about the lack of quality control at Keystone. I know that doesn't make you feel any better but you are not alone in your complaint. Unfortunately, Keystone just doesn't seem to care enough about quality control to make any changes. They hear but they don't listen.
It might be better in the long run to just bite the bullet and do the modifications and forget about dealing with Keystone. If you don't, it could result in an unhealthy rise in your blood pressure!
I hope you can find some resolution to your problem with the bumper.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #24
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebomb View Post
so i called keystone and was told no more than 150lbs on the bumper,WTF!! this might be the straw that broke the camels back, i just bought this 2012 rbi back in june and it has been in the shop 3 times so far, every time i go on a trip i have a list of things that need to be fixed and then to top it off when i called keystone to ask about the bumper weight i complained about how many times its been to the dealer and the customer support said I'm not the only one that has the problems i was shocked, is aid were the quality control when they build these and the support tech agreed with me.does it get better? cause I'm ready to take a loss and try and buy back my 96 sun line that i didn't have a payment on. not a happy camper right now!!!
My Cougar has a factory sticker listing the max bumper load right on it. I bet yours came with one, too. It's a known fact and should not be a surprise. Keystone didn't hide it from you. And your Sunline had a max bumper weight of only 100# so it's not a new condition and it sure is not exclusive to Keystone.

While you may be having legit problems otherwise, the bumper weight thing isn't among them. If you buy back your Sunline, you're getting an even flimsier bumper.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #25
ebomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
My Cougar has a factory sticker listing the max bumper load right on it. I bet yours came with one, too. It's a known fact and should not be a surprise. Keystone didn't hide it from you. And your Sunline had a max bumper weight of only 100# so it's not a new condition and it sure is not exclusive to Keystone.

While you may be having legit problems otherwise, the bumper weight thing isn't among them. If you buy back your Sunline, you're getting an even flimsier bumper.
There was no sticker on my bumper! And my 96 sunline that I owned never had nearly as many issues I've had w/ my 3 month old cougar! My point is if u spend close to 30,000.00 on a new camper u would think there would little to no issues, but I understand it is a camper, but the quality is just not there for the price! And when u call keystone and the guy on the tech line agrees that the quality control sucks, then I feel there is a legal issue and we all should be entitled to some kind of refund for all the frustrations! Cause it a inconvenience for me to have to bring camper back after every trip w/ it
ebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #26
SteveC7010

Quote:
There was no sticker on my bumper! And my 96 sunline that I owned never had nearly as many issues I've had w/ my 3 month old cougar! My point is if u spend close to 30,000.00 on a new camper u would think there would little to no issues, but I understand it is a camper, but the quality is just not there for the price! And when u call keystone and the guy on the tech line agrees that the quality control sucks, then I feel there is a legal issue and we all should be entitled to some kind of refund for all the frustrations! Cause it a inconvenience for me to have to bring camper back after every trip w/ it
My Cougar is a year old. It has been back to the dealer's twice. The first trip was to complete a punch list of small things that needed to be repaired. But my trailer was a floor demo for several months. We expected some very minor damage (which the dealer graciously fixed including replacing the mattress) because of all the prospective customers tromping through it and kicking the tires. But then they lopped $15K off the sticker price before we even started negotiating a deal.

The second trip was for the installation of the slide toppers and no other reason.

I bought my '99 Sunline brand new and loved it for 11 years. But it had its share of trips to the dealership for repairs and recalls, too. The documentation on that trailer was even worse than the Keystone manual. But I will agree that Sunline's customer service was among the best in the business.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #27
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
My point is if u spend close to 30,000.00 on a new camper u would think there would little to no issues, but I understand it is a camper, but the quality is just not there for the price! And when u call keystone and the guy on the tech line agrees that the quality control sucks, then I feel there is a legal issue and we all should be entitled to some kind of refund for all the frustrations! Cause it a inconvenience for me to have to bring camper back after every trip w/ it
I got what I paid for .... a mid-level, mid-priced Cougar. I wasn't expecting perfection or "no issues". Other than a few minor ones that were easily fixed, the Cougar has provided us with reasonably good value for the $$$. I think that most members would agree with that assessment.

I am surprised by a Keystone tech guy telling you over the phone that "Yes, our quality control sucks". While there may be some truth to this, it is not something that one would expect to hear a Keystone employee admit to over the phone to a complete stranger.

If you are suggesting that all of us who have had some kind of "frustration" with a Keystone product should be entitled to some kind of refund, your suggestion is unrealistic. If you think about that for a moment, then all manufacturers of any product would be subject to handing out partial or full refunds based on the frustration level of their customers with their products. In the real world this just doesn't happen and shouldn't happen. If you are expecting Keystone to give you a refund of some sort because you are frustrated, then you will be waiting a very long time.

I am puzzled as to why you don't take Keystone up on their offer to repair the weld on the bumper and get it reinforced at your own expense. It isn't going to be a huge expenditure. While you are at it, why not simply get your receiver welded to the frame, mount your bikes and forget about the idea of getting Keystone to reimburse you because you are frustrated?
Old 09-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #28
therink

Mid priced RVs for the most part are all the same, no matter what manufacturer built it. They are stick and tin houses that are stapled together to roll down the road. Today rv's are not known for strength or durability. They require lots if care and upkeep. Every couple of months of bouncing down the road, I always find something that is loose, needs adjusting, greasing, painting, sealing, etc. Even when they are new.
The fact is that today's manufacturers cram as many amenities and bling into these trailers and strive to make them lighter and lighter every year. Why??? Because that is what the buyers want. Unfortunately, we can't have the best if both worlds. I took the time to reinforce my rear bumper when I bought it brand new. I then attached a 4 bike carrier to the bumper 3 yrs ago, and not one problem.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote