Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Toy Hauler

2011 Dodge Mega Cab towing capacity

I'm struggling with the numbers.

I have a 4014LEV Raptor with a dry weight of 14,500.

I'm looking to buy a 2011 Dodge 3500 DRW with a 3.73 rear end. Dodge specs list a maximum trailer weight of 13,300 lbs but does apply to just travel trailers or 5th wheels as well?

Does anyone out there know?

Will I be legal with the Dodge?
Toy Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
CampJKL

My 07 dually in its former life towed close to 18k w/o issue. It's current trailer of around 12k is nothing to it. Jump on one of the diesel forums... You'll find lots of help there, but someone else should chime in here soon.
CampJKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I pull with an 07 dually. Mine is quad cab. Pull 18k with it regularly.

Enjoy your truck. Enjoy your trailer.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Hauler View Post
Will I be legal with the Dodge?
From a weight perspective? Yes. As long as you do not exceed the lower of the axle or tire ratings.

Check you local restrictions regarding GCWR.

Dodge GCWR is a recommendation only. Your non-commercial, passenger vehicle does not have a federally recognized GCWR.

Some states write, (paraphrased) "in the absence of a GCWR, we recognize the sum total of the GVWR of the tow vehicle and the GTWR of the towed unit."

From a drivers license perspective? Check your DMV. Refer to the law in writing - I.e. don't just ask in the phone. In some states, there are no weight restrictions for recreational vehicles for private use. Some states require a non-commercial class A or other endorsement if your RV or combination exceeds some predetermined number.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Your address of Sherwood Park would indicate that you are near Alberta, Canada and I would recommend that you check with your provincial department of highways as to what the legal licencing requirements are for your province. In some areas, including BC., you do need a special endorsement on your licence if you will be exceeding 10000 lbs. Alberta may have different requirements.
You will have to crunch some numbers to determine whether or not you will be exceeding the recommended safe towing limits for your Dodge with your Raptor. There are two issues for you to consider. One is legally based the other safety/capacity based.
The Dodge Manual may list two different figures for towing capacities --- one for trailers and another for 5th wheels.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
RCrawler

Your weight is limited because of the gear ratio. If you jumped to a 4.10 ratio, you would be somewhere around 18K trailer weight. Safety wise, the truck will handle it easily. And legally, I doubt anyone would give you a second look if you're driving within reason. But according to the door sticker, you will be over.

In many states, you can license your truck to haul ANY weight. The catch is that you can never be over weight on any single axle or above tire ratings.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Toy Hauler

Thanks everyone.

I passed on the Dodge. Even with a 410 rear end, it gave me 17,900 lbs max for a fifth wheel (1,300 lbs more than my GMC 2500HD duramax). There's a Chev 3500 duramax dually on my driveway now with a max 5th wheel weight of 23,000 lbs. That'll be plenty to handle the new trailer and provide the greater level of safety.
Toy Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
RCrawler

The Max Tow option on the Dodge would put you right where your Chevy is.
I think it is rated at 22,700.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #9
Jim W

I tend not to give opinions. I tend to provide factual information to users that ask weight questions. You will need to read the following PDF to find all of the information that you are looking for.
The towing capacity will be different if you have a 4X4 or 2RWD truck also what model of trim level you have.
I guess at the model based on the max trailer weight of 13,300 LBS that you quoted.
The truck weights are Base 7,571, Gross Vehicle 10,100, Payload 2,530, Base front 4,614, Base rear 2,957, Gross Axle Front 5,500, Gross Axle Rear 9,350, Gross Combined 21,000 and Max Trailer 13,300, these are all in LBS. You must read the foot notes at the bottom of the page also.

So here is the PDF booklet from Ram that will provide you a lot of information.
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/yearold.pdf This is from page 10 in the 2011 section.

Now with the trailer the dry weight that you quoted was 14,500 LBS this means nothing. You need to work with the Gross weight of the trailer that is listed for that model. This is the max weight of the trailer with all toys, fluids, food and clothing, with 20 percent of this load will be on the rear axle of the truck.
With this information I think you will be over loaded without any passengers in the truck and items in the camper, if you just add up the base weight of the truck and the base weight of the camper. These weights add up to 22.071 LBS, the truck is rated to tow a GCVWR of 21,000 LBS.
I would look for a different truck such as a C&C model or smaller toy hauler.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote