Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
yankees1

Rubber Roof Re-sealing

I will be taking delivery of a new 2012 Passport 2650bh in November . I have read many concerns with rubber bubbles appearing due to water entering beneath the front cap and maybe the back cap. Should I be on the safe side and apply additional caulking to these caps even though the unit is new and no bubbles appear?
yankees1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you are talking about bubbles that appear on the rubber roof, we have had posts from a few members who have had bubbles appearing on their roof. It appears as though these bubbles are caused by inadequate or insufficient adhesion between the rubber membrane and the roof sheathing. This is not considered to be a major concern if the bubbles are "small" and few in number. They should be monitored however. I don't think the bubbles on the roof itself are caused by moisture or water entry into rubber membrane around the bubbles.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
silver bullet 46

The old Outbackers.com site had a few posts on the filon covering separating from the luan on the nose cap due to water intrusion around the marker lights and the nose cap to roof joint. The recommendation was to check these areas every six months and seal any breaches in the sealant. I found about six breaches in my 2007 Outback during a six month check and resealed every joint on the roof with Dicor 501 LSW self-leveling lap sealant. I was fortunate in that I didn't get any water damage, but it sure put me on alert. I'll be checking by Bullet 246rbs every six months too. Shoot as long as your on the roof take a can of pure silicone spray with you and lube that TV ante
nae mechanism while you are there it will keep those "o" rings swollen and prevent leaks down the crank shaft. Toys need care on regular intervals.
silver bullet 46 is offline   Reply With Quote