Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2016, 04:44 AM   #1
johnwally

AC Issue

I have a 2016 Bullet that is having a issue. The air conditioner condenser doesn't always kick on the way that it should. Sometimes it takes two tries to go through the cycle and other times it will take four tries. If the condenser doesn't kick on after the fan it will short cycle where it shuts down and 5-10 sec later it will try again. If the condenser does fire up I believe it's running just the way it should.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
johnwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
the sodfather

Sounds like a warranty issue to me...
the sodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
Yak

Compressor????
Old 07-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #4
scott24

I'd say capacitor
Old 08-06-2016, 01:38 AM   #5
lawdog130

I would take it back to your dealer. I have a 2015 Passport with a Dometic AC unit. I was experiencing the same problem with the compressor short cycling. According to the dealer, the compressor was drawing too many amps and the dealer replaced the entire unit at no cost to me.

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
lawdog130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
johnwally

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog130 View Post
I would take it back to your dealer. I have a 2015 Passport with a Dometic AC unit. I was experiencing the same problem with the compressor short cycling. According to the dealer, the compressor was drawing too many amps and the dealer replaced the entire unit at no cost to me.
Thanks for the information. I dropped it off yesterday.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:02 AM   #7
gbing

Did you get the AC issue resolved? My ac has similar symptoms. I haven't used it enough to figure out whether it is operating correctly or not. Most of time when it starts, the fan only will run about 45 seconds, then shut off. Then after about 5 seconds it comes on again and the compressor will start and unit will continue running. I was just wondering what you found out about yours. Thanks
gbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:19 PM   #8
johnwally

Gbing I took it to a dealer by my house and they could get it to act up. So frustrating it acts up every time we have needed it. I am not sure if it has something to do with being at a campground with the power coming to the camper?

Old 08-21-2016, 06:14 AM   #9
lawdog130

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwally View Post
Thanks for the information. I dropped it off yesterday.

Sorry for the late response, I just returned from a 2 week camping trip. I tried sending a response to your message but it wouldn't go through. I think you are referring to the compressor, not the condenser. The compressor is the heart of the AC unit and pumps vapor refrigerant through the system. It is the only "moving" part. The condenser is a small radiator looking device on the "outside" that cools the refrigerant.

When I turned on my AC the fan would start blowing air and then the compressor would come on but only stay running for 40 seconds or so. After approximately 2 minutes the compressor would finally come back on but only run for 30-40 seconds. When the compressor runs it pressurizes the refrigerant and pumps it through the system to "cool" the air. When it only runs for a short time it never cools the camper air enough to be comfortable. This term in commonly called "short cycling". When I brought it to the dealer they confirmed there was a problem with the compressor that was not serviceable by the dealer and they replaced the entire AC unit. The new unit works perfectly and saved my camping trip as we had multiple days above 90 degrees.

Hope this helps!

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Old 08-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
johnwally

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog130 View Post
Sorry for the late response, I just returned from a 2 week camping trip. I tried sending a response to your message but it wouldn't go through. I think you are referring to the compressor, not the condenser. The compressor is the heart of the AC unit and pumps vapor refrigerant through the system. It is the only "moving" part. The condenser is a small radiator looking device on the "outside" that cools the refrigerant.

When I turned on my AC the fan would start blowing air and then the compressor would come on but only stay running for 40 seconds or so. After approximately 2 minutes the compressor would finally come back on but only run for 30-40 seconds. When the compressor runs it pressurizes the refrigerant and pumps it through the system to "cool" the air. When it only runs for a short time it never cools the camper air enough to be comfortable. This term in commonly called "short cycling". When I brought it to the dealer they confirmed there was a problem with the compressor that was not serviceable by the dealer and they replaced the entire AC unit. The new unit works perfectly and saved my camping trip as we had multiple days above 90 degrees.

Hope this helps!
Thanks that does help. I think my problem might be just a bit different. My fan starts like it should than the the compressor will kick in. Problem is it might kick in on the first try or it might take up to 4 tries for the compressor to kick in and run its course. The camper does seem to stay cool buy it will drive you silly listening to it kick on kick off. Hopefully you had a great vacation.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #11
lawdog130

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwally View Post
Thanks that does help. I think my problem might be just a bit different. My fan starts like it should than the the compressor will kick in. Problem is it might kick in on the first try or it might take up to 4 tries for the compressor to kick in and run its course. The camper does seem to stay cool buy it will drive you silly listening to it kick on kick off. Hopefully you had a great vacation.

We did have a great trip, thank you!

I did notice that when I initially turn on the AC only the fan runs. After about a minute the compressor comes on. It now stays on until the camper reaches the set temperature. When the fan is set to "auto" the whole unit powers on and off to maintain the temp. and can be annoying. At night I set the fan to low so it is always running and just the compressor cycles. It is much noisier than a home unit but it beats the heat!

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi