Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
wannabeimagineer

Question for Cougar Xlite 26SAB Owners

Hey everyone!

I've been reading over all the forums and want to thank ya'll for the help, there's lots of good information on here.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if you can access the front of the trailer on a Cougar Xlite 26SAB when the slide-out is pulled in? We're curious if we'd be able to get to the bathroom if we need to when the slide-out is pulled in.

We are thinking of purchasing one but of course there isn't one local to us, we've seen some similar floor plans in person but the 26SAB is what we really want. So are there any 26SAB owners out there that could help me out? The unit we are looking at is a 2014 but I think it has the same floor plan as previous years. Any help you could give would be great!

Thanks,

WBI
wannabeimagineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Dubedubedo

26SAB Fifth Wheel Access

Hi, we have a 2013 model. Yes you can access the bathroom. What I like about it is you can use the camper with the tip-outs still in (except for the bedroom - unless you are paper-thin). We love this camper - we find it has just the right amount of area to be comfortable. Good luck.
Dubedubedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
wannabeimagineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubedubedo View Post
Hi, we have a 2013 model. Yes you can access the bathroom. What I like about it is you can use the camper with the tip-outs still in (except for the bedroom - unless you are paper-thin). We love this camper - we find it has just the right amount of area to be comfortable. Good luck.
Great news! Thank you for the help! I think we're going to pull the trigger and get it!

WBI
Old 02-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
bg71361

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeimagineer View Post
Great news! Thank you for the help! I think we're going to pull the trigger and get it!

WBI
You will enjoy it, I have a 13 also.
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The 26SAB is a nice trailer and hopefully you'll find it meets all your needs. Just be aware that the advertised pin weight is not accurate when you're loaded to travel. Many owners are finding the pin weighs upwards of 1800 lbs or more when prepped for travel. It's not a good choice for half ton towing with most half ton trucks and it will challenge some 3/4 ton payloads

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:43 AM   #6
theasphaltrv'er

26sab

Good morning WBI ... Get-er-dun... We just purchased a 14 SAB. Love it and yes you can access the bathroom with slides pulled in. Like said before can't get in the bedroom with slide in but that's no problem. Pulled it home (50miles) and it pulled like a dream, course it was empty but my little itty bittty tiny 150 Ecoboost had no problem with it. In fact it pulled it better than old 8600# TT. I've been doing several mods the last couple weeks, changed out all bulbs to LEDs (from previous TT), added 2 drawers in the lower part of the pantry, and now in the process of getting the shore cord out of that little cubbie hole and adding a outside receptacle for a plug in. Any questions feel free to PM me.

Milo
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
wannabeimagineer

Thanks everyone for the responses, we're really looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The 26SAB is a nice trailer and hopefully you'll find it meets all your needs. Just be aware that the advertised pin weight is not accurate when you're loaded to travel. Many owners are finding the pin weighs upwards of 1800 lbs or more when prepped for travel. It's not a good choice for half ton towing with most half ton trucks and it will challenge some 3/4 ton payloads
Really that's a lot more than I expected, I think the advertised pin weight is 1190lbs so that's a big jump. I'm still ok though, I'll be towing with a 2500 Chevy gas, but thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theasphaltrv'er View Post
Good morning WBI ... Get-er-dun... We just purchased a 14 SAB. Love it and yes you can access the bathroom with slides pulled in. Like said before can't get in the bedroom with slide in but that's no problem. Pulled it home (50miles) and it pulled like a dream, course it was empty but my little itty bittty tiny 150 Ecoboost had no problem with it. In fact it pulled it better than old 8600# TT. I've been doing several mods the last couple weeks, changed out all bulbs to LEDs (from previous TT), added 2 drawers in the lower part of the pantry, and now in the process of getting the shore cord out of that little cubbie hole and adding a outside receptacle for a plug in. Any questions feel free to PM me.

Milo
Thanks Milo!

Glad to hear ya'll are loving it! I like the idea of moving the shore cord out the cubbie hole, I might have to check in with you when we get ours, but right now its looking like we might not take delivery for another month.

Thanks again!
WBI
Old 02-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
Cindy_N_Gary

Welcome to the 26SAB club! We have a 2012 and love it. We tow ours with a Ford F-250 gas 2WD and it pulls like a dream. Have fun!

2012 Cougar XLite 26SAB 5th Wheel
2016 Ford F-350 Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel 4X4 DRW
Cindy_N_Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #9
RedOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Where you getting those weights from. You must be hauling anvils or collecting rocks in yours if it is that heavy. Mine started at 1190 empty and may go 1350 fully loaded. We don't travel with water tanks fully loaded but if I did it would help as it is in the very back of the camper.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
Where you getting those weights from. You must be hauling anvils or collecting rocks in yours if it is that heavy. Mine started at 1190 empty and may go 1350 fully loaded. We don't travel with water tanks fully loaded but if I did it would help as it is in the very back of the camper.
A number of members have given pin weights for their 26SAB in forum posts. Here is one member who accounts for his 26SAB (GVW 10,000) actual weight of 8512 with a tongue weight of 1700. If he added the additional 1500 lbs to load his RV to GVW, he'd be well above 1800 lbs pin weight.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ighlight=26sab

There are others who report much the same experience.

My own personal experience is with the XLite 27RKS. It's advertised shipping weight is 7136 with a pin weight of 1230. In actuality, packed for a trip last fall, on the CAT scale, it weighed in at 8330 with a pin weight of 1756. If I added extra cargo to get to my 10K GVW, I'd also be well above 1800 lb pin weight.

If I were to load my XLite to GVW I couldn't tow it with a half ton truck and take my family along. The percentages of 15%-25% would give a pin weight of 1,500 - 2,500 lbs. Even with a 1,900 lb payload, by the time I add a 125 lb fifth wheel hitch, my DW and dog, I'm at 1550 lbs of payload remaining. That means I couldn't tow at the trailer GVW and maintain the minimum of 15% pin weight. I'd be overloaded. When I weighed it last fall, the pin weight percentage was slightly above 21%. To maintain that percentage would mean a pin weight of 2100 lbs at GVW. That would be 400 lbs over payload (in my F150) even before my family got into the truck.

The only way I see to tow my 27RKS with a half ton truck is to not be able to use the trailer to its full potential. I think, in my perspective, if I'm going to buy a product, I want to be able to use it to its full potential. That isn't possible with the F150 I had and a 27RKS or a 26SAB. The only way to tow the combination of my previous truck and either of the two "smaller XLite" trailers is to not be able to load them fully. The larger XLite trailers are heavier and would present an even bigger challenge to tow. Now, with all honesty, my 2010 F150 had a payload of 1700 lbs, not 1900 lbs, however even with the additional 200 lbs of payload, towing at full GVW would mean towing overloaded.

If you recall, I've towed with a half ton for years and am a advocate for half ton towing (within vehicle limits). There are a number of people who do successfully tow fifth wheels with half ton trucks. I did it, you're doing it, others are as well. From what I see, to successfully tow with a half ton, concessions must be made. Fully loading the trailer, having a large family, expecting to carry a "normal cargo" load of a generator, tool box, lawn chairs, ice chest and other camping items in the truck bed are limited at best and not "doable" in many situations. Knowing these limitations and experiences of others and to not caution a novice who can easily be swayed by the sales hype or believe what he reads in a brochure without knowledge of the "pitfalls" of the potential to overload a factory advertised "Half ton towable" would not be doing them "fair". We all know that a "half ton towable" RV is not towable by all half ton trucks and some "half ton towable" RV's are not towable by any half ton truck, they just fall in the same model series for production purposes.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote