Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Kalico Daxx

Loose Shower Floor 327RES

I just got my new fiver last week and took her out on the maiden voyage for a little shake down this weekend. A few issues I was able to resolve here on the forum (thanks everyone, by the way). Those issues were the docking lights not shutting down and the radio coming on by itself. The only other issue I have is the shower floor flexes real bad and I am afraid the seal will break-and the drain is not squarely seated in the hole of the floor, so I am fearful of a leak. I think this is a dealer fix. Anyone have this issue? Is there anything else I should be looking to check out? This is my second Cougar. I had a 1/2 ton series the last 2 years that I had virtually no problems with beyond a lose screw or similar minor thing here and there....
Kalico Daxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
therink

Sounds like shower pan needs to be removed and adequate bracing installed. I believe there are a couple 2x4s similar to provide lateral support. Either they aren't there or they aren't positioned correctly. Definitely a dealer / warranty repair. Unfortunately, this is not uncommon.
The corner shower in my rig is very solid.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Lack of HP

shower pan

I also had trouble with my shower pan in my 327res.They had to remove it and place some additional bracing under it. I think some kind of foam or something. Still has a little give but nothing like it was. Also got rid of the leak.

Happy Kamping, you will enjoy it. HP
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Ron

In a new home they use sand or cement under the shower base to strengthen it, I have read about these problems before on the forum and was wondering if you were to use the foam sealer with some sort of extension and foamed under the base if that would work assuming you can get to it. If my memory serves me correctly you can get to it on a 327, we had a 2011......just my 2 cents worth...
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Kalico Daxx

awesome! I know this sounds weird, but i am glad y'all had the issues already, because I know there's a fix already. I'll get it to the dealer and letcha know..
Old 10-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
Kalico Daxx

Angry dealer update

well, I took it to the dealer for this and to check the shower in which the drain was misaligned..i was told there was no fix for the shower, and the loose flexing in the floor was normal. It took 3 1/2 weeks for them to tell me that and to tell me that the shower drain just 'looks' misaligned, that it drains just fine with no leaks…nice! Oh well, I'll just see if next season it starts to leak and we can start all over again…sheesh
Old 10-31-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
concours

same problem with our 331 MKS the dealer had to add a brace, they removed the fireplace to gain access which was better than pulling the shower apart. All is good now
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalico Daxx View Post
well, I took it to the dealer for this and to check the shower in which the drain was misaligned..i was told there was no fix for the shower, and the loose flexing in the floor was normal. It took 3 1/2 weeks for them to tell me that and to tell me that the shower drain just 'looks' misaligned, that it drains just fine with no leaks…nice! Oh well, I'll just see if next season it starts to leak and we can start all over again…sheesh
I have the 327RES and the shower pan is flexing near the shower door. I am a big boy so I know it moves. You can access that area from the underside by the hot water heater and behind the big panel. The drain hole is big enough to get some of the spray foam up in there. That is my plan use some type of extension on the nozzle and just spray it until it sets up. It might give up the ghost later but I really don't want to have to pull the whole thing out. I am 2 years out of warranty so I have to fix it.. or pay the stealer to do it..
I have no leaks at this time around shower but do plan to seal around the bottom of the pan and wall unit, that flexible gap..
Hope you enjoy your unit we sure have for the 3 years we have owned it. We just finished a 5 night stay and put the camper in storage at the beach for a return trip the whole week of Thanksgiving. It was just easier & cheaper to store it and drive home and then back again without the camper. I figure I will save at least 100.00 in fuel cost even with storage fees..
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Spray foam is probably a great idea to use under the shower pan to help support it and to stabilize it. I'd suggest building a "dam" of some kind around the shower drain so that in the future IF it should start leaking, there's access from underneath to work on it. Also, be careful with expanding spray foam. I tried to insulate a sheetrock wall in our bathroom in Louisiana (old house, no insulation) and wound up with a bulge about 1" out from the studs after the foam finally reached its maximum expansion. You really don't want the shower pan lifting off the floor from "just a tad bit too much foam" Maybe using the "non expanding foam" and using the put some, add more when the first sets up...... A little bit goes a long way when it doubles or triples in size... My experience, walls won't stop the expansion, I'm betting a cheap plastic shower pan won't either !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Spray foam is probably a great idea to use under the shower pan to help support it and to stabilize it. I'd suggest building a "dam" of some kind around the shower drain so that in the future IF it should start leaking, there's access from underneath to work on it. Also, be careful with expanding spray foam. I tried to insulate a sheetrock wall in our bathroom in Louisiana (old house, no insulation) and wound up with a bulge about 1" out from the studs after the foam finally reached its maximum expansion. You really don't want the shower pan lifting off the floor from "just a tad bit too much foam" Maybe using the "non expanding foam" and using the put some, add more when the first sets up...... A little bit goes a long way when it doubles or triples in size... My experience, walls won't stop the expansion, I'm betting a cheap plastic shower pan won't either !!!!!
I did not think about that..
randy
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are two types of foam, expanding and non-expanding. It comes in red or blue cans at the big box floor. Don't use the expanding type. I screwed up a van door lock trying to insulate it and that turned out to be a pretty expensive mistake.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
mr.windows1

I'm in the construction business, just make sure you buy foam that is for windows and doors,it is minimal low expanding and will do the job just fine,we use this stuff everyday in our window installs and pretty much stops expanding upon contact to the surface, Good luck!
2011 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
mr.windows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #13
gwh6

327 RES Shower Floor

I also had a major leak in my 327 RES shower floor. To make a long story short the shower floor moved every time we got in it. I looked in the storage compartment under the shower floor and the drain line from the shower was sitting on top of the wall the divides the compartment off. At this point the shower drain had already come loose and when I stepped into it, it created a gap and the water ran down into the compartment. When I took it back to the dealer they worked on the drain issue by moving it off the wall and resealing it to the shower floor. The leak returned after using the shower several times so I took it back again. This time they removed the entire shower and installed Styrofoam under it. They said this should have been done at the factory. Over one year later and no issues with the shower floor.
gwh6 is offline   Reply With Quote