Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
Salsaman1a

Question Full-time RVing and personal safety

My wife and I will soon be “ four season - full time RVers. With that said, what do my Fellow brethren’s do protect themselves while traveling other than having a dog?
Old 08-09-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
fatcatzzz

This is a loaded question and I think you will get a lot of DIFFERENT opinions. Personally we have a couple that travel with us. Mr. Smith & Wession, and Ms Glock.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #3
rbrdriver

We have S & W, Glock, and 12 gauge shotgun with double ought shells...…..
Old 08-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

These threads always seem to digress into 'I have....." and actually firearms threads are VERY CLOSELY monitored, Since they are not allowed to the north and we have plenty of Canadians here.

OP: best thing you can do is research the states your planning on visiting/living in as not all states are the same. There has been LOTS of threads here with links to various sites that give you a better understanding. I don't want to lock this thread but I WILL IN A HEARTBEAT if the " I/WE have.... continues..

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Salsaman, I think you will find the topic of safety when traveling, and what individuals do to be safe in their minds, varies widely and greatly.

As was mentioned, some carry firearms, some don't. Some carry a ball bat, some a steel rod etc. A dog may suffice for some while we have friends that have a pet sugar squirrel glider (I'm not sure that is the sole protection but it's cute!). In the end it's what makes YOU feel comfortable. When I was a young married man I carried only a hammer when DW and I traveled on motorcycles and threw up a pup tent. That won't quite cut it these days IMO.

As Chuck pointed out the issue of firearms can get rowdy pretty quick so it's best to keep that conversation short and sweet. As he also said, if you do choose to have a firearm keep in mind that every state law differs in how/why you can carry them....if you even can. You need to do a lot of research before you just take off with one in the trailer, the truck or on you.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #6
roadglide

Just last week I was out reading minding my business idiot walked out of restroom cussing at some car I looked up he started in on me . I jump up we had some choice words yes I would have trucked . I reported the vagrant there where 2 city workers there when I reported the idiot he was all ready reported and the police interviewed the idiot . Mind your own business and try not to get angry. Have conference know your surroundings if your not comfortable drag up and leave. I normoraly stay at one area for week. My fulltime friends are members of veterans organization or moose member's
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #7
KRumm

I am not a gun owner and never will be... But I do have Bear Spray just inside the camper door (It will work just as well on a human)... Never had a situation where I have felt the need to use it...
Old 08-09-2019, 07:09 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
I am not a gun owner and never will be... But I do have Bear Spray just inside the camper door (It will work just as well on a human)... Never had a situation where I have felt the need to use it...

If your talking about OC (pepper spray) it does work, I carried it on my job for a number of years. You have to make sure your UPWIND of your target, or you may find out for yourself how good it works. For the general public I believe it is a lower concentration than we used in Law Enforcement. Been paroled for 11 years but I think I remember it being 1 million scovel (sp) units.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:44 PM   #9
Snoking

Best advice is study the parks you are going to say in and read the reviews. We have traveled between Washington and Arizona for 11 years and traveled Western States for two years before that. Being aware of your surroundings is always important.

We have never felt threaten while RVing in these years. Only once we drove in and back out of a park in Lakeside in Northern California. I think you have a greater chance of a problem in a motel or motel parking lot.

Once years ago we went to the West End in Miami in the evening before leaving on a cruise. After dinner we wondered around a bit along the sea wall separate from our friends, and I told my wife that I did not feel comfortable with some of the people around us and moved back into a more lighted area with many tourist around.

I always watch the area around an ATM and do not use them at night.

If broken down in a remote area, I might implement open carry status. If an LEO showed up the first thing I would do as ask for a couple minutes to secure from this status, with their blessing.

Over the years we have created a number of routes with tried and true stopping points.

Just be alert and enjoy your travels.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:51 PM   #10
sandy43

Being extremely observant. That is the very best tool you can have.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
Everyone can pick a "solution" to make them feel safe whether it does or not.
Just as edification for those that choose "bear spray" because it sounds "stronger" please note:

"Although pepper spray and bear spray contain the same active chemical, they are not the same thing. Bear spray has a much lower concentration of oleoresin capsicum, and should only be used as a bear deterrent.
Pepper spray is a self defense weapon intended to incapacitate human threats, and it is very effective at doing this due to its higher concentration of oleoresin capsicum. If you are serious about self defense, go purchase some pepper spray. If you are a hiker or camper in bear country, buy some bear spray."

This is something that is well known by folks that know what is required for self defense vs bear defense. So, be sure you KNOW what you are doing and what you are trying to defense against. Don't listen to things you read on the internet and consider them gospel...they aren't.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #12
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Just as edification for those that choose "bear spray" because it sounds "stronger" please note:

"Although pepper spray and bear spray contain the same active chemical, they are not the same thing. Bear spray has a much lower concentration of oleoresin capsicum, and should only be used as a bear deterrent.
Pepper spray is a self defense weapon intended to incapacitate human threats, and it is very effective at doing this due to its higher concentration of oleoresin capsicum. If you are serious about self defense, go purchase some pepper spray. If you are a hiker or camper in bear country, buy some bear spray."

This is something that is well known by folks that know what is required for self defense vs bear defense. So, be sure you KNOW what you are doing and what you are trying to defense against. Don't listen to things you read on the internet and consider them gospel...they aren't.
Chris aka SnoKing
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #13
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsaman1a View Post
My wife and I will soon be “ four season - full time RVers. With that said, what do my Fellow brethren’s do protect themselves while traveling other than having a dog?

Carrying a weapon is a personal choice, it involves more than merely having the weapon. You have to be willing to put in the time to practice and become confident in your ability to use the weapon if the need arises. You also need to be aware of laws in states you are planning to visit. For example most of my guns are not legal in California, so I don't go there anymore.

You need to be aware of your surroundings, if you don't feel safe don't stay there. Look for people who seem out of place. If you are going to be in an RV park or campground for several days get to know your neighbors.

We like to boondock, if we are with a group of friends we watch out for each other. If we are by ourselves I look for a spot in sight of the main road, but on a dead end road so people wont be driving or riding through our campsite to get to a trail.

Don't leave expensive gear out when you are not there.

For security change the locks on your storage compartments if they use the 751 keys. https://shoprvlocks.com/

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
Old 08-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #14
KSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Pepper spray only works up close. Don't spray it when they are 5 feet away.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:22 AM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
Pepper spray only works up close. Don't spray it when they are 5 feet away.

Pepper spray works as long as you make contact with mucus membranes like the eyes, nose, etc. you can be any length away as long as the stream will travel that far. The canisters we were issued worked up to 25 feet away, and yes I have sprayed that far in a riot, so I know it works.

I think the small canisters a person can buy for pocket/purse use will spray up to 10 feet.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:10 AM   #16
NH_Bulldog

Like most any effective personal self-defense tool; pepper spray, taser, firearm, etc. there are many local/state (and international if you are planning to visit our Northern or Southern neighbors) limitations and/or restrictions on all of them. Figure out where you plan to travel and research the rules for each state and then decide what (if any) tool is suitable for use across all of those areas.

There is also the “keep your mouth shut” theory where you keep your tool of choice locked up out of sight, yet available for emergency use as needed. Depending on the level of legal risk you want to assume, it might be an option (although I am not suggesting you break any laws). I know people who would rather take their chances with the court system than be dead.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
Old 08-10-2019, 05:38 AM   #17
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

When choosing, remember that bullets pack a lot of energy. They will go through walls, maybe several, before coming to a stop. Your neighbors will thank you.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Old 08-10-2019, 06:11 AM   #18
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
When choosing, remember that bullets pack a lot of energy. They will go through walls, maybe several, before coming to a stop. Your neighbors will thank you.
Glaser rounds shatter on impact and have long been used by certain federal law enforcement agencies (and others) to limit collateral damage in “sensitive” situations. Based on my personal use of them in my career, they are quite effective, but no bullet is safe and discharging any firearm in the direction of innocent bystanders is reckless and dangerous.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:25 AM   #19
travelin texans

We've fulltimed for 10+ years all across the country, NEVER carried a weapon & NEVER felt we needed a weapon. We NEVER boondocked out in the boonies either, always at RV parks & only once felt a bit nervous but the excitement was outside the park fortunately. I feel the best weapon is the 3 pound mass between your ears & the 2 portholes over your nose, pay attention & be smart!!!
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-10-2019, 09:11 PM   #20
mtofell

Good news is statistically random crime against RVers is very low. Likely because the crackheads have figured out that many in RVs have powerful personal protection within very close proximity. Basically, there are easier targets and the dirt bags will follow the path of least resistance.

The whole gun debate will go on until the end of time and that is up to you. I've spent time both with and without a gun while in my RV. You'll never convince gun fans that anything less will do but a good can of bear spray is sure a whole lot better than nothing IMO. It really is just a personal choice and comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Again, the good news is the things you fear are extremely rare.
Closed Thread