Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
jefisch

Insurance???

Hello. I am seeking insurance recommendations for my travel trailer.

My apologies for repeating a very basic inquiry, but my global searches on this site for INSURANCE offered nothing.

I am shopping for coverage on a 2018 Passport 2510RB. It should not be this difficult to find advice from the community. What am I missing?

Can anyone point me to the forum that deals with travel trailer insurance.

Thanks,

Jim
jefisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

There are many, many options for TT insurance and folks use all sorts of companies. Some can be rather expensive and some are reasonable. I tried Good Sam (don't have to pay for the time you don't use it etc.) but their limitations along with cost took them out of the running. I use Geico which insures all of my vehicles as well. They have a specific plan, and dept. for RVs along with very good pricing. Your liability is covered with your tow vehicle insurance. I've only had to use them once, but it was big, and they were Johnny on the spot, zero questions and check written right then (very generous check I might add).

There is not a "particular" forum for TT insurance and the "odds and ends" forum is just fine. You should get all sorts of "guidance".
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
jefisch

Thanks for the quick response. I kind of expected huge thread about insurance, so I'm a bit surprised that I am triggering a new discussion. That's fine... less to wade through.

So far I have found mixed offerings. Some carriers insist on including the tow vehicle. I just want a comprehensive package that covers anything that is not already addressed by the tow vehicle coverage.

Any suggestions?
jefisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

I use Nationwide since they carry everything else of mine. Pretty good combined discount and great coverage options. $173 for the year.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:07 PM   #5
Chris P

We have State Farm, we just added the tt to our package, not crazy at all.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefisch View Post
Thanks for the quick response. I kind of expected huge thread about insurance, so I'm a bit surprised that I am triggering a new discussion. That's fine... less to wade through.

So far I have found mixed offerings. Some carriers insist on including the tow vehicle. I just want a comprehensive package that covers anything that is not already addressed by the tow vehicle coverage.

Any suggestions?

There are "huge" threads, and many posts addressing preferred RV insurers. You just have to post the right search criteria - it is definitely not a new discussion.

Your findings are what everyone else experiences. You are the only one that can make the decision of what you want. Since insurance varies by state it is imperative that you do your own research based on your location and available plans.

A quick search brought up these posts - you might look at the question asking what kind of insurance;

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...archid=6475399
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #7
Ksupaul

Progressive here but I think it’s a bit expensive myself. Need to shop it when come due.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:50 AM   #8
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

Let me throw a couple of scenarios out there beyond the RV itself which is where most people end coverage.
Your camping and your camper catches fire and burns. It causes damage to the campgrounds hookups, trees etc besides now your camper needs to be removed. Does your insurance cover that, because most wont and it becomes YOUR cost problem.
You have a nice fire going and you invite the neighbor over and he trips on your ground mat and falls into your fire, are you covered there or your setting up your camper on a spot and its gear fails and the camper crushes your ***, are you covered??
These are real scenarios that have happened!! It isnt part of a RV standard policy nor does most companies that offer RV insurance have policy's that do.
My State Farm guy said if I wanted this type of policy than I had to go to progressive and get one. Costs me $275 and year and goes where I go!!
Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:12 AM   #9
Roscommon48

Insurance polices are one of those interesting things that varios so very very much. talking to us about your insurance is like talking to us about job issues....we just don't know other than offer suggestions.

You need to talk to your insurance agent and not us. What coverage do you want is the question to the agent. you get what you pay for.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:09 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

To add to Roscommon48's comments, every state has different insurance regulations, requirements, and laws. Most have a state office that regulates and oversees the insurance industry in that state. Relying on information from, say Michigan, as a means to make decisions about YOUR coverage in any other state, would be like relying on suggestions about CETANE ratings for diesel to determine whether you should use regular or premium unleaded gas in your DW's SUV.

As Roscommon48 suggested, talk to YOUR insurance agent and get advice on which insurance you need. If, by chance, YOUR insurance agent "wipes his hands of your questions" by saying, "I don't have a policy that covers RV's." then I'd suggest he's not helping you, rather accepting your money for partial coverage. At the very least, EVERY knowledgeable insurance agent should be well versed in ALL insurance needs, even if the company that he markets doesn't offer the coverage. It's like asking an ER physician about a broken bone and getting the answer, "I only do heart attacks and cuts.".......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:21 AM   #11
SummitPond

As per John's statement ^^^, if you can find a good independent insurance agent, they have access to many different company's policies. That said, we opted to go with Good Sam - after the DW did her due diligence, they seemed to have the best price for the wanted coverage. We had Allstate prior to that (consistent with our auto and home) but it was definitely lacking.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #12
FlyingAroundRV

We have Progressive. Haven't had to use it it yet (knock wood) but they cover the truck and trailer.
Like others have said, talk to whoever insures your TV and see if they have a policy for the TT. My Progressive agent thought at first he could cover the two on one policy, but for quorks of our situation that was not available for us. In the off season, we drop the coverage back to fire and theft only or something like that. It doesn't save us all that much, but anything saved is in my pocket, not theirs.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #13
Roscommon48

i did a quick qoogle for original question: https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+i...hrome&ie=UTF-8

use your computer and then call them.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:06 PM   #14
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
i did a quick qoogle for original question: https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+i...hrome&ie=UTF-8

use your computer and then call them.

Going on this recommendation, I did the google search, picked my company and this should suffice as to question you might want to ask about when shopping.
https://www.progressive.com/rv-trailer/

Read the coverage explanations and then click on the see more coverages and look at that.
Like I said read the definitions and see the scenarios they offer insurance for.

The reason I said what I said before is because we personally saw something happen to people we know and BOY oh Boy.
There compact fridge shorted out the wiring on the camper and started the camper on fire.
They had minimal basic insurance, it didn't cover the cash they laid down for it. They didnt have replacement coverage.
They didnt have value coverage for the things in it.
It caused damage to the campground hookups and more and didnt cover the removal of what was left.
All and All they had to pay $3000 out of pocket for fixing campground utilities etc and had to replace everything that was in the camper and pay the difference for another camper pretty much the same as their burned out unit a over $6000. $9000 total for a 2012 BH.
Well when we got our new unit to replace the older small unit, the thoughts of under protection crossed my mind and for $105 more a year versus what was required gave me peace of mind.
Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:10 AM   #15
Huntme

progressive insurance is what I use,I live in my 2011 rkswe Hideout,they have treated me well for the last 7 years.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:36 AM   #16
Badbart56

Good Sam was stupidly high. We put it on our auto policy with Allstate and it dropped about a third. And instead of using book value as a guide for valuation they allow me to choose the total loss price. So I will get the same amount five years from now in the event of a total loss.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:57 AM   #17
BadmanRick

We use Good Sam insurance they have the cheapest and best replacement insurance. Their insurance is specifically for RVs
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:21 AM   #18
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I use Nationwide since they carry everything else of mine. Pretty good combined discount and great coverage options. $173 for the year.
Something very unusual there, that is almost my monthly cost ($165CDN per MONTH). That is for full time and of course replacement cost. I have no idea what you are covered for at that price but last I checked insurance companies are not losing money.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #19
Badbart56

Mine's $294.03 every 6 months but that's with $45K total loss plus $5000 contents regardless of how old the RV is. Still less than $50 a month.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #20
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Mine's $294.03 every 6 months but that's with $45K total loss plus $5000 contents regardless of how old the RV is. Still less than $50 a month.
Mine is 10 years of replacement cost, contents of $10,000 and lot's of liability plus some other stuff. For the first ten years they pay whatever it costs to purchase an identical unit, after 10 years it's the $105,000 I would have paid in this location ($5,000 more shipping) and not as good a deal. I actually paid $95,000 on a $150,000 unit but it doesn't matter, at 77 I will probably not be alive at 87 but certainly not travelling.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote