Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #81
CaptnJohn

I go back a little farther than you. I can recall gas wars when a gallon dropped from $0.249 to $0.179. In 1979 gas went over $1.00 a gallon for the 1st time. The GMC dealer had a new 3/4 ton 4x4 with dual gas tanks that sat on the lot until they almost gave it to me. There was no tax on heating oil, 20 cents a gallon was robbery.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:30 AM   #82
mwemaxxowner

About the cheapest I remember is $0.90 per gallon. Shortly before I started driving it began leaping up and up and up and I was just up in arms about how expensive it had become at $1.80. Lol. I was telling myself there's no way it can stay that high. Now I'd love to see it there again, even though I get 4 times the MPG! [emoji23]
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:45 AM   #83
jkohler70

Is it just me, or does it seem that gas prices fluctuated less 30 years ago? I seem to recall that gas only fluctuated a few cents through the 90's. Today it seems to suddenly jump as much as $.30 a gallon then slowly fall.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:01 AM   #84
66joej

Up here in Canada we pay by the litre. It goes up 6 cents a litre and we start bitching. Then it goes down 2 cents and we are dancing in the streets. Never thinking what about that other 4 cents.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:39 AM   #85
JRTJH
Site Team

We lived in Denver during the early 70's and my DW worked in the EXXON TBA warehouse (Tires, Batteries and Accessories). During the "Denver gas crisis" in July 1971, there were lines literally "around the block" at every gas station, the price doubled and there was a 10 gallon limit on every sale. At the same time there were "gas wars" in Cheyenne, WY and Raton, NM.

At the time, the gas supply pipeline ran from Kansas City to Denver, then north/south along the front range to WY and NM... Logistically, that surplus gas that created the gas wars had to flow through Denver to get to either location....

I'm not suggesting that there was any "manipulation of resources" at the time, but many have speculated that Denver was the 'test bed" for the "nationwide energy crisis that occurred in 1972"...

Stranger things have happened.... So, a 10 cent increase followed by a 2 cent "relief to stop the complaining" doesn't surprise me at all. Happens all the time and now they call it "summer grade adjustment or winter grade adjustment" or even: A refinery had problems and transportation from the refinery further down the line costs more...... OK, but when the closer refinery comes back online, what then ???? Uh huh, I see......

Oh, before that, the Conoco station on the corner of Wadsworth and First Ave was selling Conotane (regular grade) for $0.17 a gallon. I had a 100 gallon total fuel capacity in my Dodge P/U (main, center and saddle tanks) and from "empty to full" was always less than $16. When that station closed in 1972, that's where I had my RV repair shop/consignment sales lot. Ahhh, the memories.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:16 AM   #86
B-O-B'03

I remember driving through Waco, TX, on my way to the gulf coast for spring break back in high school and there was a "gas war" going on... think I paid 16 or 17 cents a gallon back then.

Filled up the F150 on Saturday, at our local Kroger... $2.089 for regular... not bad.

-Brian
Old 08-24-2019, 05:23 PM   #87
the406life

DW and I started off towing a 24' TT that weighed about 5,000lbs with our GMC Yukon XL. Supposedly that thing was rated to tow 7,500lbs with a WD hitch.

It did better than I expected with 5,000lbs on it, but no way in hell would I have towed 7,500 with it.

I have nothing against towing with SUV's, we even considered having a Custom built Duraburb built for us. But ended up preferring to use a pickup to pull our TT.

For us it's more convenient to use a pickup. A crew cab pickup with a long bed and topper can haul our family of 5, a crapload of firewood, generators, tables, chairs, bicycles, kayaks on the roof, and the list goes on. We could never load our SUV down with that much junk without being WAY over weight. We can also remove the topper, install our UTV rack and haul the side by side parked on top of the truck box and cab while still towing our TT.
the406life is offline   Reply With Quote