Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
Brentw

Mouse out of my house

Put trailer in storage this year, grassy field, near bushes and a old storage shed, yep a mouse haven.
Normally use an electronic mouse deterant and do not store any food in unit. Don't normally get any mice, didn't plug in this year and one of my check ups I found mouse poo in lower cupboards, drawers, bathroom, counter tops and pass thru. Grrrrrrr with a capital gr.
Armed with screwdrivers, garden cloth, 3/8" plywood and sealant. It appears that the builders only own a 2 1/2 inches hole saw and an axe.
Sealed up hose and cable ways in bathroom under sink and hamper, in lower cabinet under sink, under oven, removed power center and closed up an enormous opening for power and heat.
During this I had the pass thru doors open, the breeze coming up from the holes in the floor was surprising.
Come spring, next project will be to empty pass thru, remove false wall and close up the gap between upper and lower floor. I am assuming the little critters came up and into the coroplast, then up a line into the floor insulation area then to the pass thru.

Set the trap line and only caught one, no more poo.

Sorry for the long post, thought I would share, some of these gaps are not openly apparent.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
Logan X

What an ordeal! I hope I never get a mouse in the trailer.

Thanks for sharing
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Get a couple cans of expanding spray foam and seal as many holes as you can find on the underbelly and frame rails. Then buy a couple of boxes of FRESH CAB "bontanical rodent repellant" and put the packets throughout your trailer and in the storage spaces. That should help keep them out of your trailer.

Good Luck with parking it "next to a mouse haven" and trying to keep them from looking for a safe, warm place to spend the winter......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Sorry to hear about your disaster, looks like you are getting your hands around it. I am sure you would love to get your hands on their necks Do you think if you had your unit plugged in and used your electronic mouse deterrent you would have avoided the problem? Asking because other campers had said they were considering using some form of these electronic devices. I guess so far I have been lucky, just use a bunch of dryer sheets thrown around.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
Local150

Mice

Never had too much trouble for living between cornfields,, but this year bought some Granda Gus' mouse deterrent, gonna check it tomorrow so will find out if this stuff is any good
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
Brentw

Thanks, yes agree, spray foam every thing that shows a gap.
I honestly don't know if they work, makes me feel better.
2008 Goldwing
Old 11-28-2018, 04:52 AM   #7
KCSA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Get a couple cans of expanding spray foam and seal as many holes as you can find on the underbelly and frame rails. Then buy a couple of boxes of FRESH CAB "bontanical rodent repellant" and put the packets throughout your trailer and in the storage spaces. That should help keep them out of your trailer.

Good Luck with parking it "next to a mouse haven" and trying to keep them from looking for a safe, warm place to spend the winter......

We store our camper in a barn in a rural area. We've been using Fresh Cab since we bought our pop-up a few years ago and have never seen so much as a single mouse turd.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:00 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post

We store our camper in a barn in a rural area. We've been using Fresh Cab since we bought our pop-up a few years ago and have never seen so much as a single mouse turd.
We live next to 30,000+ acres of forest with hundreds of acres of corn, wheat and soy beans growing within a few miles. So the field mice and chipmunks abound in this area.

I also use Fresh Cab for everything stored for the winter and I've never had any issues. I'm a "believer" in Fresh Cab.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:13 PM   #9
Brentw

Fresh cab, have never seen it around here, will look it up.
2008 Goldwing
Old 12-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #10
Brentw

Bit of an update. Having a mild winter up here so far, snow and temps around 14*f, this has likely slowed up the mouses that are travelling.
So recap, after sealing living area and powering up electronic squealer, no sign of any activity. Trap has captured one critter in pass thru, no others and no sign in 3 weeks. Hmm, only One?
Fun fact, according to sources on interweb, a single mouse produces 50 to 70 poops a day. Good grief.
2008 Goldwing
Old 12-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #11
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I heard peppermint oil works so I filled tiny containers and placed them in the RV. I top up the containers and check for droppings every month or so. So far so good!
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #12
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
Bit of an update. Having a mild winter up here so far, snow and temps around 14*f, this has likely slowed up the mouses that are travelling.
So recap, after sealing living area and powering up electronic squealer, no sign of any activity. Trap has captured one critter in pass thru, no others and no sign in 3 weeks. Hmm, only One?
Fun fact, according to sources on interweb, a single mouse produces 50 to 70 poops a day. Good grief.
Must be a old mouse lol
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #13
kjohn

Yikes! I will be getting a couple of those plug-in mouse repellers when we get our trailer home. Used some good, smelly Irish Spring bar soap in the old trailer(s). No mouse poop. (Fingers crossed)

There are horror stories of TT's being written off by insurance because of mouse infestation.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #14
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I was thinking of opening a new thread, but decided that my question relates to this thread. I has glancing through some catalogs and notice more electric products to eliminate various insects and animals. Does anyone use these in their trailer ? as the only deterrent ? How effective are they? Since they require power to the unit not sure how many of us use them.

So far I have been lucky and had no issues while the Raptor was in storage next to the house (close to wooded area. Only thing I have used are those Dryer sheets, just throw a bunch around. Could be I have no mice in this area of town

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 12-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #15
Brentw

Best advice is to keep your shack sealed up tight, don't leave food accessible to them. Used the electronic deterant when we had an old motor home, I think it helped.... maybe. So I still use it. I can find Internet proof that it works and that it doesn't, same with any of the home remedies. I also keep a trap loaded in case one comes travelling thru, deaf as a post, hauling a bounce sheet and pooping out Irish spring soap.��
2008 Goldwing
Old 12-10-2018, 08:21 AM   #16
labman

Ditto on the great stuff foam. I add steel wool to that so the critters have to go thru the foam/steel mixture. I have heard from a farmer friend (not actually seen) mice will chew into the foam and since it make good insulation will nest in it. Therefore the steel wool foam mixture. fresh cab is in my 5er now.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #17
Mike-GA

I have a few indoor/outdoor cats. The only mice I have seen were left by the front door by the cats. The cats like to lay under my Alpine and stand guard.
Mike-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #18
JimQ

As stated many times in this forum in previous post, inspect every inch of your RV and seal up any possible entry point. Once you get this done, you will be all set. I couldn't believe all the areas I found while underneath on my back. For 2 years now, nothing has entered. I have spring traps in place in case of an entry. For me, no need for all the items mentioned in this thread. Just remain vigilant.
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #19
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-GA View Post
I have a few indoor/outdoor cats. The only mice I have seen were left by the front door by the cats. The cats like to lay under my Alpine and stand guard.
There is always a simple natural solution ... Also good exercise for the cats !!

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 12-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #20
grampscamper

We had a problem with mice last year. This was a first for us. Trailer was loaded with Irish Spring, Bounce sheets, moth balls along the frame and cotton balls soaked with peppermint oil. It didn’t seem to stop the invasion. The solution was to set snap traps with peanut butter and check the trailer often to empty and reset traps. I think I got 1/2 a dozen last year before they stopped coming in.
Same procedure this year but no sign of mice so far.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote