Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #41
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm not sure where you are, but that "deal on internet service" is not available in all regions. In northern Michigan, Verizon's "Above Unlimited" plan includes 75 GB/month unlimited service (with phone) after which "some slowdown during peak times may occur". As for "MIFI" limits, a "mobile hotspot" added to the plan will be allowed 20GB/month, after which the device will be throttled back to 600 MB for the duration of the billing period.

The difference between the current plan and this new "Above Unlimited" is an extra $20 a month for an extra 5GB of "mobile hot spot data". That's about one "standard definition movie" if you're burning DVD's or saving to view later. Now, if you use your phone as a "hot spot" that data increases from 22BG to 75GB, a significant increase, but once you reach that limit, your phone can be "throttled back" and may not be functional for intended purposes. So if you rely on your phone to check the thermostat/security at home, you may not be able to access that feature at the reduced speed.

Maybe your region is different, but we don't have a "true unlimited Verizon plan" in this area. Hopefully, "SOMEDAY" we'll all have "true unlimited internet availability" but for some regions, this new Verizon offering "just ain't it".....
John...you are looking at the wrong place in the Verizon web page. What you are talking about is the Post-paid plans and yes, you are correct with that type of plan. Chubasdad is talking about the Pre-Paid unlimited plan that they just announced. I just switched my phone over to it yesterday. It is available for phones or for a Jetpack type device (two separate plans though) and it is unlimited for $70/month and if you use autopay, the price drops another $5 down to $65/month. So, my phone has unlimited pre-paid, my wife's phone has 3Gb pre-paid (she doesn't tether or use much data) and the total, with autopay selected is $90/month....plus taxes and fees which brings me to like $99.94. With the pre-paid, there are no line access charges either....which knocked off $20 for each line. When I got home yesterday, I turned off the wifi on my phone so that the speed test didn't pick up my home network and I used my cell signal to do the speed test. I never have a full signal at the house, as we are out in the country a bit and I'm usually at about 1/2 strength or maybe a bit more. Download speed came in at 61 Megs, and the upload speed was at 16 Megs. I will also use Foxfi to do my tethering as it is transparent to the network....when I need it.

Go to Verizon's website and click on the plans. Then select Pre-paid plans and look at your options. The 500 meg, the 3Gb, and the 8Gb plan all have restrictions on the tethering speed, as well as being throttled after a certain amount of data used a month. The unlimited doesn't.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #42
MattHelm21

I believe I read that the hotspot feature for phones and tablets was disabled on the new prepaid unlimited plan. You have to purchase the MiFi mobile hotspot on the plan to share it with other WiFi devices. I do like this plan though and think I may drop one of my post paid devices to activate a MiFi.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post
I believe I read that the hotspot feature for phones and tablets was disabled on the new prepaid unlimited plan. You have to purchase the MiFi mobile hotspot on the plan to share it with other WiFi devices. I do like this plan though and think I may drop one of my post paid devices to activate a MiFi.
That's the way it is (from what I can find) in this area. There is no "hot spot" or MIFI prepaid plan, any prepaid phone is subject to "service reduction during times of internet congestion" (whatever that means).

On the contract plans, the hot spot is limited to 20 GB/month and phones are limited to 75 GB/month.

Maybe there are some areas where Verizon is trying to get a larger user base and they're offering better plans, but not here ....

I will say that with our travels the past 4 or 5 years, Verizon does seem to have the best coverage area. My DW has Verizon, I have AT&T. We did it that way so we could have more than one carrier. Essentially, in the areas of the UP that we camp, I'm without service while she has 3 or more bars. When we were in Kansas last summer, and even in Tennessee last month, she had coverage in some areas and I didn't, I had coverage in some areas and she didn't. So even with overlapping and roaming, there are some places that just don't work.

Back to streaming movies: For us, there's no "unlimited plan" in this area.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #44
MattHelm21

Hi John,

I’m pretty sure the plan is available to you if you are interested. It’s national. Here is a link:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/prep...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edit: I just realized this might be viewed as advertising. Please delete if it is inappropriate. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1045E15C-B40B-49AA-A91D-A8545445417D.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	19346  
Old 11-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #45
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post
From Verizon's website >>>>>
Prepaid Family Plans
Mix & match plans and save when you add 2-10 lines.
That's smart. That's family-sized Prepaid.

Everyone gets:

Unlimited US Talk and Text
Unlimited Text to 200 international destinations
Mobile hot spot .....the mobile hotspots are reduced to 600 kbs for all the plans EXCEPT the unlimited. That one may be reduced after 22Gb of high speed data has been used.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #46
MarkEHansen

Well ... back to the original question for this thread: What can I use to connect two network clients on a "local" network in my trailer, so I can use Plex Media Server on a Raspberry Pi (basically, a Linux computer) and a Roku to display the content to the TV installed in the trailer.

There was some question about whether Plex would work without an Internet connection. This turns out to be false. While setting up the Plex server (in my house, with an Internet connection) I let it get all the "metadata" it needed for all the media content it was to server.

I then moved everything to my trailer, which includes:

- The Raspberry Pi (running Plex Media Server)
- The Roku (displaying on the TV and running a local Plex client application)
- A Linksys WRT54GL wireless router providing a local Wi-Fi

Both the Roku and the Raspberry Pi are capable of connecting to the local Wi-Fi, but as all three components are placed in the entertainment cupboard, I just connected them together using standard RJ45 network cables (no reason to use Wi-Fi if you have a direct network connection).

This means the WRT54GL is really just acting like a network bastion (providing a local network on which the Pi and Roku can connect and talk to each other).

I just tested it out and it works great.

I even went one step further and set up a custom remote which allows me to control the Roku as well as the TV, volume, power, etc.

This was all I wanted (for now) so I'm happy.

Now ... will we actually watch any movies/tv shows while we're out camping? Who knows It's there if we want it.

Thanks for all the help - even the off-topic stuff, which I will likely need later.
MarkEHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #47
chubasdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Well ... back to the original question for this thread: What can I use to connect two network clients on a "local" network in my trailer, so I can use Plex Media Server on a Raspberry Pi (basically, a Linux computer) and a Roku to display the content to the TV installed in the trailer.

There was some question about whether Plex would work without an Internet connection. This turns out to be false. While setting up the Plex server (in my house, with an Internet connection) I let it get all the "metadata" it needed for all the media content it was to server.

I then moved everything to my trailer, which includes:

- The Raspberry Pi (running Plex Media Server)
- The Roku (displaying on the TV and running a local Plex client application)
- A Linksys WRT54GL wireless router providing a local Wi-Fi

Both the Roku and the Raspberry Pi are capable of connecting to the local Wi-Fi, but as all three components are placed in the entertainment cupboard, I just connected them together using standard RJ45 network cables (no reason to use Wi-Fi if you have a direct network connection).

This means the WRT54GL is really just acting like a network bastion (providing a local network on which the Pi and Roku can connect and talk to each other).

I just tested it out and it works great.

I even went one step further and set up a custom remote which allows me to control the Roku as well as the TV, volume, power, etc.

This was all I wanted (for now) so I'm happy.

Now ... will we actually watch any movies/tv shows while we're out camping? Who knows It's there if we want it.

Thanks for all the help - even the off-topic stuff, which I will likely need later.
Thanks All for your interest in this very important subject. The reason I say important
for everybody this is not just a Full-timers subject, because lets say Snowbirders who
can take advantage of it in their homes. Xrated stated he has a pre-paid phone for
him & wife, which I'm a little confused, is that included in the Truly Unlimited Plan?
I followed another RV chat Forum and everyone is talking about this new Verizon Plan, I also wonder if we should jump on this soon, before Verizon makes any Changes. Safe Travels..Chubasdad
chubasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:36 PM   #48
xrated

Disclaimer......I'm not advertising for Verizon....just sharing the page that has the Pre-Paid info on it. Scroll down the page and you will see a wealth of info for pre-paid plans.... for a single phone, for a family plan, and further down the page a section for JetPack type equipment. Autopay box checkmarked will get you an additional $5 off of each device.....

https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/

These plans were released nationwide on November 6th, 2018

Old 11-19-2018, 04:21 AM   #49
xrated

Well, Verizon has mis-informed me during one of my Chat sessions the day before I switched my phone over to the Prepaid unlimited service. This morning I tethered my tablet to my phone and discovered a 600Kbs download speed to the tablet. I've never used the Verizon Hotspot app., and I was using a tethering app. called FoxFi. I have used this on my old postpaid plan for years and years without a hitch......now, even though it still works, I'm limited to 600Kbs. So I downloaded the PDAnet+ app to both my phone and my tablet, set up a Bluetooth connection, clicked on the "hide tethering" box, and connected the two. Once connected I ran a speed test and life is back to normal.....at least for the time being. We'll see if it continues to work and what issues I have, if any. Fingers crossed.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:35 AM   #50
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Thanks, scottv92, this is what I'm going to try to do. I've ordered a Linksys WRT54GL and will configure it to provide local Wi-Fi and just ignore that I don't have an Internet connection.

I think the Roku Plex app should be okay with this, as the Roku I have running at home is connecting to my local Plex media server inside my local network - but I think I may have missed your point on that.

Thanks again.
You can also use it as a repeater with an outside antenna.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:46 AM   #51
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Disclaimer......I'm not advertising for Verizon....just sharing the page that has the Pre-Paid info on it. Scroll down the page and you will see a wealth of info for pre-paid plans.... for a single phone, for a family plan, and further down the page a section for JetPack type equipment. Autopay box checkmarked will get you an additional $5 off of each device.....

https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/

These plans were released nationwide on November 6th, 2018
Paint me "cynical" but every (and I mean EVERY) website I've found that discusses the "pre-paid/post-paid" plans, the only significant difference I can find is when Verizon gets their money. All of the plans have the same "little I circle" that when you click on it, warns of "significant slowdown may occur during times of congested traffic" or "You may notice some decrease in streaming capacity......"

Maybe it's different in some locations based on Verizon's tower capacity or the number of "pre-paid" subscribers that live in a "repeater/broadcast network" range ??? At any rate, even though I can access the web pages "advertising unlimited service", all of them have some notation that says, "maybe/maybe not"....

Someday we may all get "unlimited high speed internet" as a matter of course, but in sparsely populated areas, the priority is not to spend millions of dollars for a small return on investment. I've found that most camping areas tend to be in those "sparsley populated areas" (by design) and the "internet infrastructure" just isn't there. As an example, try to get online at Fishing Bridge Campground in Yellowstone vs in Cody, WY, and then compare Cody to Denver/Boulder, CO....

Just as "antiquated campground WIFI systems" don't give us a strong signal and fast streaming, Verizon's towers between Gaylord and Alpena, MI don't have the capacity of Verizon's towers in Detroit or Chicago.....

So, while someone in a metropolitan area might get "unlimited Verizon streaming" (without significant slowdown during times of congested traffic), around here, there are "more congested towers" than there is "high speed streaming"..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #52
xrated

John, the BIG issue I have right now is that a Verizon rep. specifically told me during an online chat session that the Prepaid unlimited plan FOR my phone was "exuded" from being throttled, like the 3Gb and the 8Gb prepaid plans. I asked her.....are you sure? Yes, I'm sure....so I switched the phones Friday. Then, this morning I find a throttled speed on my FoxFi tethering app feeding my tablet. I may end up changing both phones to the 3Gb plan and then buy a Jetpack with unlimited.....which isn't limited or throttled. I seriously believe you could talk to five different Verizon reps. and get five totally different answers.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #53
JRTJH
Site Team

It's been my experience with Verizon (well with AT&T as well) that if you talk to 5 different reps and call each of them twice, you're going to get 10 different responses... In a way, they are "sort of" like RV dealers and depending on what color shirt you're wearing or what day or even what time of day, you're going to get a different answer...... I know, I know, but that's the way it seems....

As for getting a jet pack, we have one, have the "unlimited plan" and get 15 GB of "fast service" followed by "throttling to 600KBPS until the next billing cycle". If you read the "little I circle" on the jet pack prepaid plan, it says, "In times of congestion, your data may be temporarily slower than other devices."

What that tells me, if I'm "guessing what they said correctly" is that the jet pack and tablet devices are throttled before phones ("other devices")...

I do know that in this area, the Verizon system is not as "robust" as it is around the Traverse City area and nowhere near as "robust" as it is in the Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo area.

We chose to live this far from densely populated areas because we wanted to be "in a recreational area without a lot of people and their noise"... We've got that, have lived here the past 10+ years. When we moved here, from Louisiana, we gave up fiberoptic internet, fast speeds, multiple choices in cell providers, and for the first 2 years, until our "turn" came up to get Hughesnet satellite internet, we relied on a dial-up modem and 28KB service. Even back then, we had forgotten what the "handshake signal" sounded like...

Talk about living in the "dark ages".... That's the way we felt, until we finally got "high speed internet" that was 12MB/sec with a 5GB per month allowance. After that, back to dialup until the month ended....

Now it's a bit better, but trust me when I say that we still "marvel at how fast things work" when we travel to "populated areas"....

My guess is that you may find the "unlimited jet pack plan" isn't really as "unlimited as fiberoptic or even DSL plans..... Good Luck and let us know how things work once you get things sorted out....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #54
xrated

John, I too spent way too much time on dial up years ago and felt like I was having a good day if I hooked up at 28k. Most of the time it was 14.7K because of the old phone lines. The jetpack would be strictly for my day to day use at work for tethering my tablet. At home I'm on Comcast business with a mediocre?? 50 Meg down speed and I'm more than content with it. One good thing about the Jetpack 8800L is that it's LTE GODspeed ready when Verizon rolls that out. The way I understand it, that will be the precursor to 5G.

And as far as your jetpack speed and data cap, I'm assuming that you are on the postpaid plan with that. The prepaid does not have those restrictions from Everything I've read

Old 11-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #55
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
John, I too spent way too much time on dial up years ago and felt like I was having a good day if I hooked up at 28k. Most of the time it was 14.7K because of the old phone lines. The jetpack would be strictly for my day to day use at work for tethering my tablet. At home I'm on Comcast business with a mediocre?? 50 Meg down speed and I'm more than content with it. One good thing about the Jetpack 8800L is that it's LTE GODspeed ready when Verizon rolls that out. The way I understand it, that will be the precursor to 5G.

And as far as your jetpack speed and data cap, I'm assuming that you are on the postpaid plan with that. The prepaid does not have those restrictions from Everything I've read
The "bolded comment" is where I think you're going to be disappointed. Go to the Verizon website, find the unlimited prepaid plan for the jet pack and click on "details"... What you'll read is this: "4G LTE high speed data. Full HD quality streaming (1080P). In times of congestion, your data may be slower than other traffic." If I understand what they explained to me about that comment, the Jet Pack devices are throttled back any time there is congestion on the tower system. They throttle the Jet Packs and Tablets so they can keep full speed for the phone systems. The way I understood it was this: Any time there is high traffic on a tower, the phones have priority and the internet devices are throttled back to give priority to texting/voice traffic. So, depending on the tower you're connected to, if a bunch of kids are texting on their phones, your Jet Pack will be throttled back (giving them priority) until there's capacity for your internet connection to resume.

Sounds to me like it's a "phones first, jet pack second" priority system.

So, you may find that if you turn on the hot spot on your phone, it'll be faster than your jet pack, even though both are sitting side by side, well within their plan allowance and both working properly.

Phone first, or so I've been led to understand it.... So, buying a jetpack with a unlimited prepaid plan might still be significantly slower than your phone's hot spot....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-19-2018, 01:41 PM   #56
MarkEHansen

So have a look at this: https://www.vpnuniversity.com/tutori...th-your-router
This explains how the non-phone devices can be throttled and how to get past that.
MarkEHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #57
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "bolded comment" is where I think you're going to be disappointed. Go to the Verizon website, find the unlimited prepaid plan for the jet pack and click on "details"... What you'll read is this: "4G LTE high speed data. Full HD quality streaming (1080P). In times of congestion, your data may be slower than other traffic." If I understand what they explained to me about that comment, the Jet Pack devices are throttled back any time there is congestion on the tower system. They throttle the Jet Packs and Tablets so they can keep full speed for the phone systems. The way I understood it was this: Any time there is high traffic on a tower, the phones have priority and the internet devices are throttled back to give priority to texting/voice traffic. So, depending on the tower you're connected to, if a bunch of kids are texting on their phones, your Jet Pack will be throttled back (giving them priority) until there's capacity for your internet connection to resume.

Sounds to me like it's a "phones first, jet pack second" priority system.

So, you may find that if you turn on the hot spot on your phone, it'll be faster than your jet pack, even though both are sitting side by side, well within their plan allowance and both working properly.

Phone first, or so I've been led to understand it.... So, buying a jetpack with a unlimited prepaid plan might still be significantly slower than your phone's hot spot....
John, I understand about the temporary slow down stuff if the tower is congested, but at least it is temporary. The problem with the prepaid unlimited for phones there is simply NO tethering....none. The 3gb and the 8gb plans allow tethering, but are reduced to 600Kbs. Unlimited is no tethering, not even at 600Kbs, so that kind of closes that option to use the phone for tethering instead of a Jetpack. PDAnet tethering app does work to get around the "No Tethering" part of the unlimited prepaid. Will it work and not be discovered by the carrier....I don't know! Will it work for a while and then the carrier sees the tethering where there shouldn't be any....I don't know! So it seems to me that the Jetpack might be a "safer" solution as it's whole purpose in life is to be able to tether a cellular signal to a wifi based device...such as a TV in a camper, or a tablet that I have at work everyday. From a cost standpoint, if I reduced my phone down to the 3gb prepaid and my wife's phone kept at the 3gb level in prepaid, the Jetpack with unlimited and using autopay and the additional $10 discount on the family plan would put the total at $115 plus taxes and fees...so approx. $130 month. I don't know which direction I'm going to go on this, as I obviously don't need the Jetpack for the camper while it's sitting all winter....so maybe in the springtime. But then, if I wait, will they still have the same deal going on. Ordering the Jetpack online right now will also eliminate the activation fees associated with getting one. So, it's one of those things I'm just going to have to think about and try to come up with a solution that will work for me.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #58
JRTJH
Site Team

Vern,

That's why there are so doggone many different plans and so much confusion. No matter what works for one person, there's a reason it's not good for someone else, some other person with the same needs, but that lives in another place... The list goes on and on. We've had a jet pack for about 8 years and had a "cell phone dongle modem" before that. We considered Verizon's home internet service and compared to every cell provider's offerings that's available in this area. No matter what I finagle or devise, there's a catch 22 for all of them. Has been since we bought our first Nokia cell phones with Singulair and Cellular One.

Trust me when I say that every cell phone provider has run the stats on every conceivable scenario to be sure they aren't going to lose a penny and the customer isn't going to find a means to get something for nothing.... There's a "disclaimer" or an "out" for anything they offer you and a way to make sure you don't get it for free.....

As in any contract, the large print giveth and the small print taketh away.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #59
xrated

A little update......I was wrong on the pricing that I posted in my previous post of $115 plus taxes for two 3Gb phone lines and an unlimited Jetpack. $115/ month plus taxes and fees. I spent some time online in the Prepaid config. section and it is going to come in at $105/month...plus taxes and fees. So, Tues night I ordered the Jetpack 8800L and got the unlimited plan on it. It is being delivered today. Once I get it set up and operating, I will most likely downgrade my phone line to 3Gb as soon as I can. When that is done, the total should come to $105/month for two phones (3Gb each) and the Jetpack.

Edit....all of the above prices are includin the family prepaid multi line discounts AND using autopay for all three devices.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:59 PM   #60
xrated

Performance update.... I went back to work yesterday after a nice 4 day Thanksgiving Holiday weekend and took the jetpack 8800L with me, battery charged and ready to go. First order of business was to tether my tablet to the Jetpack and run a speed test. So here we go......35-36 Meg down and around 15-16 Meg up. During the course of the day, I ran the speedtest app several more times and got basically the same results everytime. If I remember correctly, the slowest upload speed was 31 Meg and the slowest download speed was 13 Meg. I had been worried all weekend long about the new Jetpack, as the signal at my house is not very good and I was not seeing very good numbers coming from the Jetpack tether. Once I go to a place that had a good signal from Verizon though, it was giving the numbers that it should have been doing. So far, so good and I'm pretty happy with my decision to get it. As a note, I have the Jetpack 8800L on a Prepaid Unlimited plan with no hard data caps in place.

Tags
wifi