Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #1
Badbart56

New Engine from Ford for 2020.

A new 7.3 gas engine from Ford coming for the new 2020 F250 through F450, and a more powerful 6.7 Turbo Diesel. I think we all knew this was coming though. Although they are not yet releasing the power and torque figures yet you can bet they are aiming to beat Ram's 1000 ft/lb claim. Stay tuned.....

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/02/new...-gas-v8-video/

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
Gegrad

Chevy just released that their new V8 gas engine in the 2020 Silverado HDs is going to be a 6.6L making 401 HP and 464 lb-ft torque.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-a-new-v8-too/
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
ADQ K9

I think we all benefit from the wars that the big three are having with the pickups.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd like to "benefit from the wars among the big three" by them focusing on a "reasonably tuned diesel" capable of towing a 15,000 trailer, even if it means downshifting to 4th (1:1 ratio) while maintaining 65MPH up a 4% grade and getting 20MPG while towing. I honestly don't need 500HP/1100 torque and I'd much rather they start focusing on improving efficiency than climbing the ladder to "most powerful".....

IMHO (for what it's worth) the only options in the diesel arena for "HD trucks" are way overpowered for the average user and it's more about "boasting the biggest" than about producing a truck we really need and can more efficiently use...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:20 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^That is the deal for us! I don't want to, nor will I, pay 10k to get 1000 lbs of torque when I would be happy with 6-700 (maybe 550). The truck wars have really given all of us some "super" pickups, but, at the loss of giving us what we need IMO. I'll keep crossing my fingers.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:19 AM   #6
Frank G

Yesterday I listened to a short UT clip on the new ford gas engine by a Ford engineer. The development of the new gas engine and new 10 speed transmission is all about fuel efficiency and EPA compliance with the ability to tow heavy loads. The RV customer is only one segment, the contractor is another. Todays contractor is hauling heaver loads, like a mini excavators and man lifts to job sites. Farm use is the same, larger and heavier loads. Be thankful we have three companies competing for the same market space. We all benefit.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
Badbart56

I am curious to see what kind of numbers come from the 7.3 gas engine. Probably around 500 ft/lbs or better I'm guessing and likely over 400 hp.

The old 460's did a fair job back in the day, as did the 454's, but that was pre-diesel revolution mostly and the gas mileage was under 12 mpg if you were running empty. Even those big cublc inch motors had to rev high to hit their sweet spot. And then as emissions choked them down we were lucky to get 230 hp out of them.

I'm very pleased with the 10-13 mpg I get towing my toy hauler with my 6.7 F350, especially considering How effortless it pulls it. I was impressed with the old 7.3 turbo diesel back in the day, but there's really no comparison. But if they can squeeze another mpg or two out of it, that would be ok too!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #8
mtofell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd like to "benefit from the wars among the big three" by them focusing on a "reasonably tuned diesel" capable of towing a 15,000 trailer, even if it means downshifting to 4th (1:1 ratio) while maintaining 65MPH up a 4% grade and getting 20MPG while towing. I honestly don't need 500HP/1100 torque and I'd much rather they start focusing on improving efficiency than climbing the ladder to "most powerful".....

IMHO (for what it's worth) the only options in the diesel arena for "HD trucks" are way overpowered for the average user and it's more about "boasting the biggest" than about producing a truck we really need and can more efficiently use...
I definitely hear you but I think with the new gas offerings, manufacturers are telling you to go that route for medium sized loads. 15K is pushing it for now but could be doable with some of these new offerings. I'm hauling 11K with the Ram 6.4 Hemi (and a REALLY poorly designed tranny) and it gets the job done. That engine is 410hp/430torque. If some of these new gas offerings get up to mid 450s HP and over 500 torque with a really good tranny I could see 15K pounds not being a problem. Payload on gassers is also appealing due to the lighter weight of the engine.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:22 PM   #9
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I definitely hear you but I think with the new gas offerings, manufacturers are telling you to go that route for medium sized loads. 15K is pushing it for now but could be doable with some of these new offerings. I'm hauling 11K with the Ram 6.4 Hemi (and a REALLY poorly designed tranny) and it gets the job done. That engine is 410hp/430torque. If some of these new gas offerings get up to mid 450s HP and over 500 torque with a really good tranny I could see 15K pounds not being a problem. Payload on gassers is also appealing due to the lighter weight of the engine.
you've got some good points. I love our '02 Powerstroke, but with diesel consistently $0.60 to $0.80/gallon higher than regular, I'd be open to the idea of a gasser for our next TV if it could pull the toyhauler comfortably.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #10
whcarr

7.4 gassed can't wait to see the specs. Currently running a 6.2 and am reasonably happy. But am near the axle weights, and right at the gov.
whcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #11
Don_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

I absolutely agree with this. I tow a 15k 5th wheel. I have a Ram 3500 with the 6.4. It pulls the camper ok until we get into mountains. I hoped it would do better. I need to get the diesel powered truck so I have a new Ram 3500 on order. I don’t need the huge increase in power the new trucks have but I am not willing to buy someone else’s potential problems so I am getting something that is overkill. If I could get lower power and better mileage in a 3500 I would get it.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:15 AM   #12
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
I tow a 15k 5th wheel. I have a Ram 3500 with the 6.4. It pulls the camper ok until we get into mountains. I hoped it would do better.
The new 8 speed ZF transmission may help a bit with hilly terrain and frequent changes in elevation. I am really looking forward to some real world testing from the TFL truck channel.

GM's new 6.6L has a better torque curve it seems. Should be an interesting summer of testing on the Ike gauntlet. Also, Ford's 7.3L will be mated to a new 10 speed tranny. This will be a significant powertrain change over the current 6.2L.

As the gasser wars heat up and performance indicators show more capable towing specs, what percentage of the diesel market segment will be attracted these gasoline motors?
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

The fellas on the Ford truck forum are in a dither over a gasser called a 7.3. The 7.3 diesel is kind of iconic and not to be made sport of.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #14
Laredo Tugger

I recently went out of the country for a trip. I had a chance to talk to a gentleman and his wife from Austria. He asked me about flying to the U.S. and renting a motor home. While we were on the subject he told about his "Ah-V" in Austria, a 7 meter (approx 23 foot) motor home with I think he said a 2.7L 4 cylinder gas motor. Gasoline prices calculated out to be around $5.87 a gallon. He added that roads in the European regions are narrow and tight as well as campsite locations.
Point is, as we reach for the stars here for horsepower and torque, it was interesting to say the least, to here perspective from "the other side of the pond". Our appetite for bigger and more powerful continues and obviously wont stop. Just thankful I guess that we have the roads and ability to travel the way we do with the rigs we have.
As for the 7.3 L? Guess that makes my point.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:07 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
I recently went out of the country for a trip. I had a chance to talk to a gentleman and his wife from Austria. He asked me about flying to the U.S. and renting a motor home. While we were on the subject he told about his "Ah-V" in Austria, a 7 meter (approx 23 foot) motor home with I think he said a 2.7L 4 cylinder gas motor. Gasoline prices calculated out to be around $5.87 a gallon. He added that roads in the European regions are narrow and tight as well as campsite locations.
Point is, as we reach for the stars here for horsepower and torque, it was interesting to say the least, to here perspective from "the other side of the pond". Our appetite for bigger and more powerful continues and obviously wont stop. Just thankful I guess that we have the roads and ability to travel the way we do with the rigs we have.
RMc
When we lived in Europe we camped with a Coleman tent (3 U shaped poles and 9 stakes) in campgrounds throughout Europe. From vineyards in Italy to Moors in Holland it was all an adventure we'll never forget. While in Spain we met a Dutch family, 6 children, mom and dad. They towed a small popup camper with a 1.9L diesel Peugeot station wagon. We had 1 child, a small tent and a bit of camping equipment in a 1973 Gran Torino wagon. Needless to say, we used more "fuel per mile" than they did on the entire trip LOL

When they finished "unfolding that popup palace, it covered most of the campsite and had, if I remember correctly 5 rooms and windows that matched or were better than anything in the "Modern Designs" magazine....

The European idea of RV travel is so very different from our expectations.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #16
66joej

This was true in the 60s. I guess it's going full cycle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41RgBcn1AlL.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	20246  

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #17
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Chevy just released that their new V8 gas engine in the 2020 Silverado HDs is going to be a 6.6L making 401 HP and 464 lb-ft torque.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-a-new-v8-too/
I guess they will finally compete with the ecoboost. The ecoboost will make the power in lower rpms than this will.
waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #18
mtofell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
RMc
Yep... we're big, fat, rich Americans and the rest of the world hates us

Having lived here my whole life and traveled minimally abroad, I am also interested to learn how others do it in other areas. We are totally lucky/spoiled here with the affordability of fuel and the offerings of our RVs. Hauling my 11,000# trailer up into the woods only to live like I do at home is kind of ridiculous.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #19
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Yep... we're big, fat, rich Americans and the rest of the world hates us

Having lived here my whole life and traveled minimally abroad, I am also interested to learn how others do it in other areas. We are totally lucky/spoiled here with the affordability of fuel and the offerings of our RVs. Hauling my 11,000# trailer up into the woods only to live like I do at home is kind of ridiculous.
Haha, yup

We're having to camp with the kids while the wife and small one stays in the camper for trail life (boy scouts alternative) and the thought of staying in a tent does not sound like a good time at all. So I'll be hauling, setting up and breaking down including hauling it back but I have to stay in a damn tent. Man...
waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #20
Laredo Tugger

"boy scouts alternative" ???
I would ask for details but then again maybe I'm better off not knowing.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford