Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
custerV

Angry Mice in the underbelly

Have had this issue almost since I bought it.
Mice in the underbelly.
I have found that they get into the coach itself around the shower base, as in other posts, big hole in the deck.
That blocked now, have no issue with mice IN the coach but they remain in underbelly.
Tore my heat ducts up and had them repaired but I don't think they got rid of the mice.
Plugged every opening to get IN.
My question now is How to I rid mice in the underbelly so that I start off with 0 issue there?
Every other post seems to talk about how to STOP them from getting in, I got that but cleaning house is my question.

Thanks
Vic
custerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
Steveo57

If you've got the underbelly tight then just set some traps to catch any that are left. Should be able to clean them out in a day or two.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:00 PM   #3
Tbos

Cut a flap in the belly and put the traps around it and then tape it back up.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
Logan X

Wear latex type gloves when you handle whatever traps you use. If you don’t wear gloves, the mice can smell human on the traps and they will stay away.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
KSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
Wear latex type gloves when you handle whatever traps you use. If you don’t wear gloves, the mice can smell human on the traps and they will stay away.
Too bad they don't smell human on the trailer and stay away...
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:25 AM   #6
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
They don't smell human on the trap when it has peanut butter on it for bait. Works every time.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:05 AM   #7
Logan X

I’ve had mixed results when I set traps without gloves. It seems to work much better when I have worn gloves. It is a pretty easy precaution to take to possibly get better results. Why wouldn’t you try it?

Edit-maybe the mice I deal with are smarter than the mice others deal with...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0848F1D6-F146-41D8-907B-2BDBD9012817.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	21920  
Old 05-24-2019, 05:26 AM   #8
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
I’ve had mixed results when I set traps without gloves. It seems to work much better when I have worn gloves. It is a pretty easy precaution to take to possibly get better results. Why wouldn’t you try it?

Edit-maybe the mice I deal with are smarter than the mice others deal with...
Interesting.........
Mice intelligence by region. Don't let a certain political party get wind of this. They will sign them up to vote. Promising cotton balls and wool.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:28 AM   #9
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Interesting.........
Mice intelligence by region. Don't let a certain political party get wind of this. They will sign them up to vote. Promising cotton balls and wool.
RMc
Haha! Very true
Old 05-24-2019, 05:43 AM   #10
custerV

Talking the undermice

Decided to call them "Undermice". Not sure what political party so will leave that dog lay right there.
My concern is that if I don't clear the belly of all and then seal it up they will just breed more and more and it will never end.

Vic
Old 05-24-2019, 07:09 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by custerV View Post
Decided to call them "Undermice". Not sure what political party so will leave that dog lay right there.
My concern is that if I don't clear the belly of all and then seal it up they will just breed more and more and it will never end.

Vic
If you "seal it up" they won't be able to "come and go at will" so those that are IN are in and those that are OUT are not able to get in.... Reproducing without benefit of food and water would likely not last long before they are too hungry or too thirsty to stay IN. Since they can't get out, they're "doomed to extinction"... Problem then becomes the smell of "rotting mice"....

If, on the other hand, they can maintain a population and continue breeding, then the bottom "ain't sealed up" which leads to "not having done the first job adequately"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:24 AM   #12
gkainz

Hi Vic - can't help with the mice, but curious which Custer in your location? I grew up in Custer, SD.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

This post won't address how to get rid of the mice "inside" as there have been multiple ideas posted. It does however deal with "mice" in general. Another "story" I suppose.....

Growing up mice were just a natural thing to see. Didn't think much about them and dealt with them as the need arose - all my life.

When I was in my 30s we began hearing about "hantavirus" that came from mice. Interesting but I disregarded it - I had dealt with them all my life. Our company had some infestations of mice in some out buildings. The technicians refused to clean them for fear of the virus. I sent land and buildings to take care of it and they refused (this was all after the recent death of one of our supervisors - a big, strapping, healthy guy - that officed in a warehouse that suddenly contracted breathing difficulties and suddenly died. They diagnosed some kind of bird flu). I got frustrated and said I would do it myself - they were being irrational/overly cautious. One of my managers procured a "safety" kit in a box for cleaning up which included a respirator mask. I laughed and proceeded to clean the buildings.

As I swept up all the droppings and "debris" the dust was thick in the first building. I finished cleaning it, filled the access holes and sanitized. As I sat in the car headed to the next building it dawned on me...what have I done?? Whatever it might be was done so went on and cleaned the rest of the buildings with the mask on. Completed the work, returned to the office and chided those that refused to do it. Then...

About a week or so later I began having trouble breathing. It continued worsening with no letup no matter what I did. I finally decided I had given myself hantavirus and the survival rate was low at the time. Found a great diagnostician that had worked on the original team that found/diagnosed hantavirus. Found I had contracted a rhino virus from the mice (which they also carry), not hantavirus, prescribed medications and after a week or so of being extremely sick began to improve.

Long story to just warn those that have a mice infestation to please be careful with how you handle them and any "residue" they leave. Don't clean/sweep it without spraying it with disinfectant to eliminate any dust. Be cautious and careful disposing of the materials. Deer mice primarily carry the hantavirus and many may not have that kind of mice - we didn't either. But the doc advised that all mice can carry various viruses that we can contract. So, don't be like me and take a stupid chance. Take the precautions. Heck, I won't let my wife get close to any mouse leavings anymore. Dealing with them might be one of those instances where you do something you can't undo.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:25 AM   #14
jim1

Can you seal it up a little better around the slide bar that go into the under belly?
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #15
custerV

South Dakota of course!!
Old 05-24-2019, 09:47 AM   #16
custerV

Talking the undermice

Thanks for the help will look at getting sealed up and trap the hell outta them.
Slider, need to check that, don't think I did that.

Vic
Old 05-24-2019, 02:27 PM   #17
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by custerV View Post
South Dakota of course!!

Well Hey there, then. I moved away to join the Navy in ‘76 but still get back there occasionally.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:14 AM   #18
Budwin

Mice Free

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1523900651

Here is a link to the stuff I use in Canada. Not only does it work with mice, it helps with rust proofing the undercarriage. It comes it a kit and it sprays on. All you need is a small compressor.
Budwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:17 AM   #19
cenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Long story to just warn those that have a mice infestation to please be careful with how you handle them and any "residue" they leave.
Great advise!
cenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:45 AM   #20
LeeB43

KSH - Makes you wonder, doesn’t it...

2019 Keystone Cougar 315RLS
2019 Ford F-250 Lariat Crewcab 4x4 Short Bed
2019 Keystone Bullet UltraLite 220RBIwe (traded)
2018 GMC Canyon Denali CrewCab 4x4 Short Bed (traded)
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 220RBSL (traded)
LeeB43 is offline   Reply With Quote