Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #1
Duramike

Colorado Springs to Ouray

Hey all, we are planning a trip to Ouray Colorado from the St. Louis area this summer. The drive to Colorado Springs seems pretty straightforward but on to Ouray looks like it could be interesting. Any routes that are recommended? Better yet, any to avoid? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
roadglide

Avoid the million dollar high way 550, there is a lot of mountain roads take your time enjoy the country. I stayed at ridge way state park it's centrally located .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #3
wobly

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Avoid the million dollar high way 550, there is a lot of mountain roads take your time enjoy the country. I stayed at ridge way state park it's centrally located .
Ridgeway State Park is really nice. We live in Colorado Springs and did the trip to Ouray last June. From Colorado Springs you can take Highway 24 towards Buena Vista and then south on 285 to Highway 50. Or, you can go south on I-25 or Highway 115 to Highway 50 to Salida. The Highway 24 route goes across the plateau while the Highway 50 to Salida route goes right along the side of the Arkansas River. Very scenic, but slower. No matter which way you go, you will go over Monarch Pass. Take your time and use a low gear, you will be fine.

Like roadglide said, do NOT take a trailer over Red Mountain Pass. RMP is just beyond Ouray on the way to Silverton. There are a LOT of opportunities to go 4-wheeling in the area along with hot springs and other activities.

I'd also recommend visiting the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
Canonman

X2 regarding Ridgeway State Park. Great place to camp. Very central to exploring the San Juans, Ouray, and Silverton including the million dollar highway (minus the TT).
Hwy 50 will bring you to Montrose. It's a short drive from Montrose to Ridgeway and then to Ouray.
On the way to Montrose, Black Canyon of the Gunnison is a must see. As said, take your time and enjoy some really pretty country.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5040 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	21761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5624.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	21762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5645.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	21763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5998 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	21764  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:58 PM   #5
scottz

You have a couple choices, stay north and go through Gunnison and Montrose or go south through Buena Vista, over Wolf Ck Pass, Pagosa Springs, Durango.
Why not go one way on the trip out and the other way on the trip back?

I have pulled trailers over Red Mountain, Molas and Coal bank passes many, many times without any problems; sometimes even in the winter, but that is another story. However, if heights or narrow roads bother you, avoid this route. Either way you go, you will be in serious mountains; just take it easy.

We don't stay in campgrounds; we boondock in the Silverton area. Lots of places to camp.

Here is a helicopter video tour of Hwy 550 from Ouray to Silverton this winter when a lot of it was under 30' of snow; it was closed for several weeks.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/2...69723-71269557
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:50 AM   #6
notanlines

Mike, if I may make a recommendation: If your travels lead you through Buena Vista, (locals pronounce it 'Beuna Vista) we both heartily recommend the KOA right outside of town! Dom and Helen are the owners/hosts and are SUPERB people! We were staying there when my emergency surgery came about last August and they and their crew went out of their way for almost a month looking to our (Brenda's) needs. The park is just average, very typical for this part of Colorado, but a great location!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:26 AM   #7
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
You have a couple choices, stay north and go through Gunnison and Montrose or go south through Buena Vista, over Wolf Ck Pass, Pagosa Springs, Durango.
Why not go one way on the trip out and the other way on the trip back?

I have pulled trailers over Red Mountain, Molas and Coal bank passes many, many times without any problems; sometimes even in the winter, but that is another story. However, if heights or narrow roads bother you, avoid this route. Either way you go, you will be in serious mountains; just take it easy.

We don't stay in campgrounds; we boondock in the Silverton area. Lots of places to camp.

Here is a helicopter video tour of Hwy 550 from Ouray to Silverton this winter when a lot of it was under 30' of snow; it was closed for several weeks.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/2...69723-71269557
Where is blm land out side Silverton you can get you big toy hauler in ? May be a trip that way next year from Yellowstone.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #8
scottz

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Where is blm land out side Silverton you can get you big toy hauler in ? May be a trip that way next year from Yellowstone.
Sent you a PM
Old 05-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

scottz - thanks for that video!!

Love that area and had gone for decades. Always had to make the 550 from Silverton to Ouray then DW and I would make the Black Bear, Imogene, Ophir etc. passes etc. always ending up in Telluride from one direction or the other. Hit Ophir one year in mid June if I recall; it was open but as you hit the downgrade heading to the little lakes and Ophir, at the top, the drifts were way bigger than the Jeep and they had cut a tunnel through them to get through. It was awesome and beautiful. You had to look WAY down the trail to the bottom to make sure no one had entered the one way and then hope no one did while you were headed down. Avalanches had just mowed down the trees and did what they do. Stopped at the little emerald green lakes, got out to stretch and....there, over in the grass was something red. Walked over there and someone had left a very nice LL Bean jacket. Been there a while and showed it but it's LL Bean - and they hold up and recover well.

Haven't been able to go in a few years. The video just brings back a lot and makes me sure miss the place. Thanks again.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #10
B-O-B'03

We went to a wedding in Ouray, last September and went up through Durango and Silverton. The only issue we had on the million dollar highway was dropping down into Ouray an 18 wheeler took up most of my lane coming the other way around a hair-pin and I had to stop and back up about 30 feet

Glad I was going pretty slowly and could stop before hitting him

After the wedding we spent 3 nights in Ridgway State Park in the Pa-Co-Chu-Puk Campground - The G loop by the river has the best spots. We then took a very scenic route back... 550 > 50 > 149 > 160 > 410 > 12 > 25.

We took 422 off of 12 and spent the night in the Blue Lake NFS campground, gorgeous place.

Got up the next morning, had breakfast at Bob & Earl's cafe outside of Trinidad and beat it home from there.

Definitely God's country in CO.

-Brian
Old 05-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #11
scottz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
scottz - thanks for that video!!

Love that area and had gone for decades. Always had to make the 550 from Silverton to Ouray then DW and I would make the Black Bear, Imogene, Ophir etc. passes etc. always ending up in Telluride from one direction or the other. Hit Ophir one year in mid June if I recall; it was open but as you hit the downgrade heading to the little lakes and Ophir, at the top, the drifts were way bigger than the Jeep and they had cut a tunnel through them to get through. It was awesome and beautiful. You had to look WAY down the trail to the bottom to make sure no one had entered the one way and then hope no one did while you were headed down. Avalanches had just mowed down the trees and did what they do. Stopped at the little emerald green lakes, got out to stretch and....there, over in the grass was something red. Walked over there and someone had left a very nice LL Bean jacket. Been there a while and showed it but it's LL Bean - and they hold up and recover well.

Haven't been able to go in a few years. The video just brings back a lot and makes me sure miss the place. Thanks again.
You are welcome. It is a wonderful area; we are lucky to live here.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:07 AM   #12
Duramike

Thanks everyone for the great info. Ouray looks beautiful and we are excited to be going. I have found this forum to be the best source for nearly all RV questions that come up. Safe travels everyone! Thanks again.

Mike
Old 05-12-2019, 06:27 AM   #13
German Shepherd Guy

Hi Mike. There is no bad way to get there. We like Monarch Pass as the most relaxed way. I would definitely not go on the Interstate/Vail pass as it is just too hurried and hectic. Carrie and I like to stay at the Ouray RV Park & Cabins. ( https://www.ourayrvpark.com/ ) It is not a scenic park, but it is centrally located and you can walk to anywhere in town from there, including the Hot Springs. Great places to eat and top drawer breweries are in town. Our favorite is the "Ourale Brewery." It is small and run by a guy who is nicknamed "Mr. Grumpypants." but does he ever brew great beer. He does not do food but there is a local burger house next door and they share a covered porch so you can order food from them and beer from him and sit outside in a very nice atmosphere. We live over near Telluride but Ouray is our go to place to have a night out and to lounge around in the hot springs. The Ouray KOA is a very nice campground but not located near town so you have to drive. I would definitely do Red Mountain, Molas, and Coalbank passes after you have set camp as the scenery is just too spectacular to miss and Silverton is a neat place to visit. Get up above treeline if you have the vehicle for it as after last years drought (the WORST on record!) we now have 160% of normal precipitation which will translate into spectacular wild flowers this summer. BUT some of the Jeep passes will most likely be quite late in opening this year. There is serious snow still in the high country.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #14
johnlewis

If you want a drive that will really work your TV hard, take the drive from Durango to Silverton. That is the hardest pull we've had (2012 Ram 3500 DRW diesel, towing 37' Montana 5er). Stopped to help a couple whose TV had blown a tranny. The mountain pass is at 11,000'+ elevation.
I recommend going another way, for an easier drive. You can still enjoy some great scenery. You might want to check out rvtripwizard.com. They have a feature that shows the elevations on the route you pick.
Ridgeway Park between Montrose and Ouray is an excellent CO state park. Book as early as you can, if you want full hookups, because there are a limited amount of them. At this time, you may only get a water/electricity site.
There is so much gorgeous scenery in that area, that you can't go wrong anywhere you go. We towed the Million Dollar highway from Silverton to Ouray, and I would recommend doing it with just your TV, without your trailer.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #15
notanlines

If I remember correctly, RVtripowizard is 40 or 50 dollars a year. Might want to ask if someone's a member and have them email the results to you. I'm just sayin'
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #16
KC10Chief

We go to Colorado a couple of times a year. Ouray is by far my favorite place and we have been many times. I have driven the 550 highway lots of times. Personally, I'd save that for a day trip if I were going with my trailer. Approach Ouray from the north. It's much safer and will be less stressful. If you insist on taking your trailer down the 550 highway, then going north to Ouray will be safer than leaving Ouray to the south. The real serious part is just South of Ouray. In many places, the white line on the side of the road is the very edge. Make a mistake and get pulled off the side, and you're dead. It a beautiful road, not to be missed. I'd just come in to Ouray from the north, park my camper, and then take a day trip down to Silverton and Durango.

From Silverton, you can turn back north down dirt roads to get to the ghost town of Animas Forks. Is is incredibly beautiful out there. The road is a bit rough but nothing a truck can't handle. I wouldn't bring a camper up in there. You'll need to go out the way you came most likely. The roads out to the west and east from Animas Forks are better suited for Jeeps.

As for campgrounds, there's a couple right in Ouray. They're cramped and not real nice in my opinion. The KOA just north of town is much nicer.
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:07 PM   #17
Canonman

Just for laughs. One of the "roads" we were on last Wednesday. Fortunately we left the Cougar in the campground.
DW loves (not) taking the "scenic" route
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Honey I'm sure the GPS said the KOA was this way (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	22055  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Just for laughs. One of the "roads" we were on last Wednesday. Fortunately we left the Cougar in the campground.
DW loves (not) taking the "scenic" route

Ha!! At least it's dry! My DW is the same way. I love to 4 wheel and she loves to go, but, as you said, she always wants to go "over there". I'm saying "man, that mud is 2 feet deep and I have no idea what's there"; she says " but it looks so PRETTY; I wonder what's around the bend - you can do it". I've hi centered, got stuck, crawled under the vehicle with blocks, chocks, snatch straps, logs, limbs etc.....in the mud and slush so we can go "over there". While I'm doing it I'm rumbling and grumbling while I'm crawling around; in a week or so we're both laughing about what a time it was! (about the time the mud is finally coming out of my hair/finger nails).
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:50 PM   #19
Duramike

Thanks for the input

Thanks everyone got your advice. Our trip to Ouray was great. We took the northern route in thru Montrose. Beautiful drive along the Arkansas River. The trip went well and was uneventful. We did take the million dollar highway to Silverton without the 5er. Beautiful drive but I would be treacherous with anything behind your truck IMO. I did see some RVs headed to Ouray from Silverton. I can’t imagine doing that. I’m sure I would develop a nervous tic that would take years to go away. Anyway, it is well worth the drive but be careful. The Owl Creek pass is another beautiful drive. This was a great trip overall and it is worth the drive back to visit The Black Canyon of Gunnison National Park. Thanks again and happy RVing to all.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	81A3764C-FE71-4BC2-BAF0-CC3073802169.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	502.0 KB
ID:	23874  
Duramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:19 PM   #20
td1837

Anyone take there TW to any ghost towns in area on 4x4 roads? I live in Colorado Springs and have just started to explore CO and all the wonderful places to camp with my 5er.
td1837 is offline   Reply With Quote