Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2019, 04:54 AM   #1
ldiaz791

Slide-out roof covers

We just made the change from a Class A Bounder to a Keystone Avalanche 379BH 5th Wheel. We learned real fast that the slide-out roof covers (4 in the 5th Wheel) are extra unlike our previous Class A and All sales people at the place we bought our 5Th Wheel we’re programed to sell them as an extra feature. I know there’s are a few threads on this but I only want to ask how necessary are they to have before I make my mind on getting them install.
ldiaz791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:17 AM   #2
whcarr

I put three on on my 371, mostly to keep debris of the roof slides, also seems to help keep the sun off the tops. They are noisy when the winds blowing and hold water! I think there worth the expense just to not have to get on The roof to check for and remove debris every time I retract the slides.
whcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:18 AM   #3
LZScout

Unless you like having to climb up on the roof to sweep off the top of the slides before retracting them, I’d recommend getting them. We’ve never regretted doing it.

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:41 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I've had trailers without them and trailers with them. Our current Cougar didn't have them and we used it for 3 years before putting slide covers on it. We do a lot of dry camping in remote campgrounds and before we had them I always had to sweep the slide tops before we could leave. It was easy to do when dry, but if we were leaving during the early morning (wet slide from dew) or during bad weather, cleaning the slide tops meant changing clothes before we could depart because of the exposure to rain during cleaning the slides. We made two trips to "hot areas" without the slide covers. Both were uncomfortable in the trailer because of the temperature.

After installing the covers 3 years ago, dry camping "packing for home" has been much easier, almost all of the "slide top cleaning" has been eliminated, I can often break camp in bad weather and not have to change clothes to drive home. We've done three extended trips in hot weather and the trailer interior seems to be more comfortable with the covers providing "shade" for the slide tops.

You are already experienced in the benefits of slide covers from your motorhome days. If you felt they benefitted you then, and if your camping style will be similar, then they'll benefit you with the fifth wheel as well.

If your camping includes being parked under trees or being exposed to direct sunlight in "high temp areas" then I'd recommend them.

My only suggestion would be to negotiate your best price with the dealership, then look up the price of buying and installing them yourself. Amazon and EBay both have Carefree and Lippert slide covers for sale, often at extremely reduced prices. If you're relatively proficient with hand tools and a measuring tape, installing them is not difficult. You'll probably find that your new fifth wheel has the awning rails already installed, or a "rain diverter" installed where the awning rail would be positioned, so there's really no "impossible task" to face.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:42 AM   #5
Park1911

Slide toppers are very beneficial. They prevent water leaks and may help extend the life of slide-out roof seals. Standing water, leaves and even pine needles are shed when slides are retracted. No need to climb the roof to clean it off. They may catch and hold some rainwater if not installed properly(pitched to drain). I have them and would buy again.
SuperGlide 3300 Hitch
Park1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
ldiaz791

Thank you for the positive advise on installing the slide-out roof covers. I will most likely be getting them install at General RV where we purchased our 5th Wheel, their price was not that bad. With our ClassA slide-out covers I always had to bring the slides in and out several times to get the water off of them, is this normal with them?
Old 04-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiaz791 View Post
Thank you for the positive advise on installing the slide-out roof covers. I will most likely be getting them install at General RV where we purchased our 5th Wheel, their price was not that bad. With our ClassA slide-out covers I always had to bring the slides in and out several times to get the water off of them, is this normal with them?
It is with my large one. The small one doesn't pool water.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #8
Tbos

Quote:

My 2 large ones will puddle water one more than the other. I stop the slides part way in for the rain to run off. Once it’s done I pull them in the rest of the way.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:51 PM   #9
Frank G

Yes for slide covers.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:19 AM   #10
notanlines

Idiaz, we concur with what has been said. We help people install slide covers most years in Florida. We did two this year. Once you have done one then the rest are a breeze. The pooling water is a problem and is the noise in the wind, but overall we'd do them again.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #11
Hblick48

When we purchased our rig almost 3 years ago, it had slide toppers. 2 years ago, while on a cross country trip, the big topper stitching (that holds the topper to rig) failed during a wind storm. Had to roll flapping topper up and then duct tape it in place so we could continue trip. Replaced with new topper material from www.sunpromfg.com. They are heat welded instead of stitched, so they should last longer than I will be able to RV anymore.

One year later, during a wind storm, the other two toppers failed just like the first one. Replaced material...good to go.

Installing is definitely a two person job!
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
When we purchased our rig almost 3 years ago, it had slide toppers. 2 years ago, while on a cross country trip, the big topper stitching (that holds the topper to rig) failed during a wind storm. Had to roll flapping topper up and then duct tape it in place so we could continue trip. Replaced with new topper material from www.sunpromfg.com. They are heat welded instead of stitched, so they should last longer than I will be able to RV anymore.

One year later, during a wind storm, the other two toppers failed just like the first one. Replaced material...good to go.

Installing is definitely a two person job!
Ours lasted 5+ years fulltiming before the stitching failed, replaced with the "welded" seams also & definitely a 2 person job. When I replaced them I gave the roller an extra round which tightened them up a bit & no more pooling on them. When the originals pooled water I'd raise/lower one end of the rv til the water ran off, releveled & brought in the slides.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #13
ldiaz791

Thank you All, I have contacted Gen RV and they are honoring the price they gave me for the four slide out covers when I purchased the 5th Wheel a month ago. They are installing four Lipper brand covers, has any one know this brand? And are they a good quality brand?.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #14
Frank G

Quote:
Thank you All, I have contacted Gen RV and they are honoring the price they gave me for the four slide out covers when I purchased the 5th Wheel a month ago. They are installing four Lipper brand covers, has any one know this brand? And are they a good quality brand?.
I used them before and they were just fine. From A conversation I had with Lazy Days RV, they carried the hardware and sewed the fabric to size. The repair companies servicing the park also sew up replacements on site. Same with awning replacements. Slide toppers are a good profit center for the dealers.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #15
itat

If you boondock in the desert or the prairies where there are no trees and a lot of wind, you may not want them. If the wind isn't a factor, they provide shade even if there is nothing falling on the slides from overhead trees. If you camp mostly under trees, they are a huge benefit IMO. I had toppers installed on all 3 slides on my new 5er.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #16
sgrol

Don't have them but would love the shade feature. I know you can't have your awning out during a storm with wind. How do the slide toppers hold up in stormy and/or windy conditions? Do you have to bring in your slide?
Old 04-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #17
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrol View Post
Don't have them but would love the shade feature. I know you can't have your awning out during a storm with wind. How do the slide toppers hold up in stormy and/or windy conditions? Do you have to bring in your slide?
In my case, wind and age caused them to fail. They lasted over 15 years. Sitting inside hearing them loudly flap in the wind during a storm wondering when they will fail, and they eventually did. At that point it's a maintenance item. They will fail if you keep the rig long enough.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #18
sgrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
They will fail if you keep the rig long enough.
So will my awnings but I can stow them in inclement weather prolonging the inevitable without compromising living conditions inside. I guess my question is do people bring in their slides during bad weather to protect the toppers? If my awning was out in the last storm we were in (couple of weekends ago) I would have found it in the next state. Made me wonder how a slide topper would have fared.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #19
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrol View Post
So will my awnings but I can stow them in inclement weather prolonging the inevitable without compromising living conditions inside. I guess my question is do people bring in their slides during bad weather to protect the toppers? If my awning was out in the last storm we were in (couple of weekends ago) I would have found it in the next state. Made me wonder how a slide topper would have fared.
The tension roller on slide toppers is on the slide. When the topper fails, the tension roller will automatically try to retract the topper. It may get jammed, but you can always get the fabric rolled up properly. I pulled my pickup parallel and close to the slide, stood on side of bed, rolled it up properly and duct taped it.

Awnings always have side support arms, so you must retract the slide in heavy winds. Fabric can't retract on its own if it fails.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:20 PM   #20
John&Genny

Quote:
Lippert sells the Solera slide toppers, which is what I installed on my Avalanche. They seem to be of decent quality but I’ve only had them installed a year now so I can give you a better run down in a couple of years The only thing negative I can say about the Solera slide toppers is how they are designed left very little clearance between the dining room slide topper and our awning, probably less than 1 inch. I was able to make it work, but I really had to move the fabric and topper away from the awning as much as possible. In looking at the Dometic slide toppers, it may have been a better fit. Of course, this may not be an issue in your RV.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, roof, slide