Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
Chaos1

2018 Premier 26RBPR Slideout cable issues

Near the end of last year the front slide bottom cable snapped off they warrantied it. After opening the trailer after winter storage I was l inspecting the cables on the tip outs and noticed both cables on the bottom of the front tip out had dents on them at the attachment points see pics apon further inspection noticed that the bracket that holds the pulley was worn shinny like it was trying to shear the cable when you closed it I now have to get both cables replaced in which I am hoping Keystone will cover it so was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or is this a rare case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3232.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	21903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3233.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	21904   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3235.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	21905  
Chaos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I have not had that issue, but, I do think when the first one snapped and the dealer replaced it, they would have hopefully done a little analysis on why it snapped. They obviously did not. This, IMO, should have been caught at that time. Whether the slide is adjusted improperly, the attachment plates are aligned incorrectly, I don't know but your dealer is the owner of this situation IMO. Keystone hopefully will cover it because it's obvious, to me, that continued use with the cables crimped like that will just lead to other failures. I wish you luck - and I surely wouldn't go lightly on the dealer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
Northofu1

My trailer isn't here right now, but will be later in the week. I am going to check that first thing. The kitchen slide was a little jerky packing up Sunday, the dinette slide is off a little and needs adjustment as the table is marring the island. I am going to source some rollers, and add to both slides. I found a youtube video on installing them, looks pretty easy and not that expensive.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
Northofu1

this is the video I found.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
slow

2018 Premier 26RBPR Slideout cable issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos1 View Post
Near the end of last year the front slide bottom cable snapped off they warrantied it. After opening the trailer after winter storage I was l inspecting the cables on the tip outs and noticed both cables on the bottom of the front tip out had dents on them at the attachment points see pics apon further inspection noticed that the bracket that holds the pulley was worn shinny like it was trying to shear the cable when you closed it I now have to get both cables replaced in which I am hoping Keystone will cover it so was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or is this a rare case.
A couple of thoughts:
* be sure to level your TT front to back before extending or retracting the slide. Otherwise the slide will drift and the cables will rub on the aluminum frame mounted to the TT.
* the clearance hole in the aluminum frame mounted to the TT may need to be enlarged to center the cable and burrs removed. My cables were wearing a groove in the aluminum frame because the pulleys are not centered on the cable hole and the cable ends would sometimes catch the edge just before fully retracted.

Here is how I "opened up" my clearance holes for the cable to prevent cable catching and wear: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...pictureid=4125 The picture is with the rubber pads removed/fallen off, but that is another poor design issue.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:19 AM   #6
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
A couple of thoughts:
* be sure to level your TT front to back before extending or retracting the slide. Otherwise the slide will drift and the cables will rub on the aluminum frame mounted to the TT.
* the clearance hole in the aluminum frame mounted to the TT may need to be enlarged to center the cable and burrs removed. My cables were wearing a groove in the aluminum frame because the pulleys are not cantered on the cable hole and the cable ends would sometimes catch the edge just before fully retracted.

Gosh, the things you get to learn and do with the pride of ownership of a TT.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #7
Mike477

Cable issues

Hi gang....Well I can surely relate to your problem. We have a 2016 Cougar 28 with a single slide. When we picked it up in Houston I asked about the noise when the slide went in or out and was told it was normal. Well when we were 2000 miles away in Oregon a cable snapped. A local dealer helped us and replaced as we were on a 5 week trip. When we got home a second cable snapped. I took it back to the dealer and they found a fix on the internet from the people that make the slide out. Seems they were very aware of issues on some trailers. There are nylon rollers that get installed so the slide does not have to work so hard. Because we bought it used (8 months old) there was no warranty but now it is fixed and the slide in/out is so much nicer. Good luck.
Mike477 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, slide, slideout