Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #1
Frisbeekev

outdoor kitchen fridge

I have a passport 2920bh with the outdoor kitchen and mini fridge. The fridge unfortunatly does not run off propane. We like to bookdock alot, and i was thinking of hooking a 1000 watt inverter to the batteries (dual set up) to run it and have cold drinks when we have no power. My questions are ....

- Will the 1000 watt inverter be enough to run it ( i will fuse and add a switch to the line, and it will run off the dual batteries).

- Also about how much life will I get out of the batteries with it running off the inverter before I have to charge batteries.

Any other solutions also? Thanks
Frisbeekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:04 PM   #2
Tbos

Yes it will run it. How long I don’t know. Someplace out there is a calculator that can help.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #3
KeithInUpstateNY

There's a calculator here: https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tool...-inverter.html

You would have to know the AC amp draw for the refrigerator AND the DC and draw for the inverter to get an accurate estimate, but I would guess you would be running your generator. A LOT so you don't fall below 50% on your batteries.

Another thought, if you have the space in your inside propane fridge, would be to use your outside fridge as a cooler. Have two sets of blue ice bricks, one for the outside fridge to keep drinks cold and one in the inside fridge refreezing.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:41 AM   #4
jsmith948

We run our outside fridge on inverter power while traveling and whenever we dry camp. That little refrigerator compressor doesn't use much power.
I ran a dedicated ac line from the inverter, located in the front compartment to the rear curbside of the trailer and installed two receptacles - one for the outside fridge and the other for the t.v. When we dry camp - usually at a SP, we run the generator every day for several hours to keep the batteries up.
It's nice to have the use of the outdoor fridge and we have cold drinks when we arrive. BTW, we have saved enough money not having to buy ice for the ice chest to pay for the inverter.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
Frisbeekev

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
We run our outside fridge on inverter power while traveling and whenever we dry camp. That little refrigerator compressor doesn't use much power.
I ran a dedicated ac line from the inverter, located in the front compartment to the rear curbside of the trailer and installed two receptacles - one for the outside fridge and the other for the t.v. When we dry camp - usually at a SP, we run the generator every day for several hours to keep the batteries up.
It's nice to have the use of the outdoor fridge and we have cold drinks when we arrive. BTW, we have saved enough money not having to buy ice for the ice chest to pay for the inverter.
Thanks for the info. I have the inverter so I may try this. Do Do you happen to have a picture of the wiring. Also, did you add a switch to go from boondocking to 30/50 amp Plugged in power, or is it not needed? Thanks
Frisbeekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:38 AM   #6
jsmith948

I don't have any pictures - will try to take some later today.
The inverter is located overhead in the front compartment.. (the batteries are located about 3' away on the other side of a partition. The dedicated ac line runs along the outside of the frame in the corner up against the floor and is secured about every foot with rubber coated ss cable straps.
The cable then follows the other wiring along the moving loom under the slide and enters the slide at the rear corner along with everything else. Pulled the drawer out from under the fridge to gain access to the wall that separates the outdoor kitchen from the interior entertainment center. Mounted a separate receptacle for the outdoor fridge and the indoor t.v. (used orange colored receptacles for easy identification). When traveling or boon docking I simply unplug the fridge from the shore power circuit and plug it into the inverter circuit - no switch required.
I may have made it sound complicated, but it's not. Hardest part was running the wire along the frame. Will try to post pics later.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge