Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #1
RGreene

Angry Fridge inop/A/C lethargic at best

We have a 2018 cougar 310RLS. In hindsight, it should not have been taken home. We do not have buyers remorse. We have a trailer and dealer that have not lived up to reasonable expectations. It could be a long rant! During our initial walk around on our delivery day, there were issues we had noted during the time we had looked at the new trailer. None of these were corrected during the PDI process. Service manager appeared to be shocked that the items we had seen were not repaired before delivery! Large chunk out of the solid surface counter top, on one of the lower edges, quite sharp. A large scratch on one of the fridge doors also not repaired! Minor things in the big scheme of things. Now back to the walk around demo. There were no propane tanks, only a test tank installed. Scrambling around again to find two new filled tanks, then the tank straps had to be replaced because they were not long enough to go around the tanks. Still happy to be getting our new trailer. Demo time is completed and we are now going to hook up to our truck. It seems that the auto level system is not working properly, has fault code for a rear left jack. Nobody knows how to correct the issue while we are there. They called in a tech to have a look at this problem. An hour later the tech shows up and looks at the system. Says to me, just put it into manual mode and forget about the auto level feature," they never work right anyway". Should have left the unit at the dealer! Tech gets the system cleared up and we are hooked up and heading home, still reasonably happy, we have a new trailer! On the way home the trailer tows like a dream, first fifth wheel we have ever had. Always watching the mirrors as i'm driving, i see every now and then something that appears to be flapping every now and then. Still feels ok towing, no noises or anything else. Park the trailer in our driveway and get things ready to disconnect from the truck, block the wheels and found the left side fender had a few missing screws, this is what i had seen flapping every now and then. No big issue, screws fall out all the time. Replaced the missing screws, because i am a pack rat and have lots of rv stuff, just in case. All set to unhook, level system only worked manually. When all the proper steps were followed to disconnect and level, system started to work then stops, over limit error. I level it manually. Still not dissatisfied with our purchase. Start the transfer of our camping gear to the new trailer, lots of storage. Filled all the cabinets and closets with all our normal gear. Now im testing all the features and systems operations. Hot water not working on electric, checked the system and found that the power switch mounted on the tank was not in the on position. The factory foil seal was still in place, this indicates to me that the electric side was not tested. Another PDI item. Walking around the trailer i was finding small pins on the floor below the cabinet doors, the lower half of the hinge pins were falling out! Reinstall pins and recrimp the hinge area so they stay. Should have left this trailer at the dealer. Sitting on the couch at the rear of the unit and i noticed the scratch on the fridge door was worse after the tow home. So being a person that looks at things in a logical manner, i closed the kitchen slide and checked for clearance between the island and the fridge. The island is too close to the right side of the trailer and the cabinet door handle is contacting the fridge door panel. So being me, i moved the island to the left 3/4 of an inch. But before doing so i have documented all things and have numerous pictures. Emailed the dealer all photos and what we have found and corrected. Asked about their PDI process, the tech has 7.5 hours to go over the unit completely. Well , I said, I think he missed this trailer all together. Note we have not gone on our first camping trip as of yet.

First weekend out with the trailer, almost a great weekend, except for the auto level system. Back home and finding more hinge pins on the floor, small thing, so I fix them.
Next weekend out with the trailer, unseasonably hot, for this area. A/C system would not bring the temperature down to a comfortable level. Great if you would stand under the unit with the quick cool door open. Close the door and the lethargic amount of air coming out of the vents is much less than what is needed to bring the temperature to a reasonable level. Checked in take temperature and discharge temperature at the unit and we have at least a 20 degree difference in temperature. Not so for the ceiling vents.
Checked for air leaks and improper sealing, well the a/c unit was leaking air from intake to discharge side, really poor tape and foam tape work. Sealed all leaks, sealed the leaks between the discharge side and the lovely racetrack duct system. Slightly more air flow as a result of all the taping.
Now we are questioning our purchase! Off to the dealer we go. Sat with the general manager and explained our concerns in a reasonable and calm manner. We were assured all our issues would be taken seriously and corrective measures would be taken to prevent this from happening again.
Trailer was picked up by the dealer and was gone completely over. So we were told. Counter top replaced, fridge door replaced, very poor nail setting and putty jobs were corrected. Oh and the mattress was replaced with a residential model due to the poor quality of the mattress. After two nights sleeping the mattress was compacted in the areas where we would sleep. A/C was inspected and all leaks were corrected. Delivered back to our campground and all set up. Assured us all things were corrected.
Its an unseasonably warm evening again, turned on the A/C and it ran for hours, temperature at the start was 34 deg celsius after two hours of running on high the interior temperature had come down to 32 deg celsius. After four hours it had dropped to 30 deg celsius. When i had gone outside after several hours i found the outside temperature was quite a bit cooler than in our trailer with the a/c on. So back and forth with the dealer, in the end we are told the a/c unit is functioning within the manufacturers specifications. Not a warranty issue, no longer pursuing a warranty issue for the a/c. Told we will need a second a/c unit if we want the trailer to be any cooler. Quote " they are pricey". (Note this is not our first trailer. If we could have our traded in trailer back we would be very content, at least the Riverside Travel trailer we traded in had an awesome a/c unit that would function perfectly on auto. Set the temperature at 20 deg C and leave it. Didn't matter how hot it was outside.)
So we have a trailer that will not cool properly and makes for an uncomfortable sleep.
Now we are going on vacation, i go to the campground to hook up to the trailer to bring it home so it will be all ready for our short trip. Open up the trailer to make sure nothing is going to move around and break. I noticed the fridge display is not illuminated. Open the freezer and found all our frozen meats are thawed out, and the perishables in the fridge are as warm as the inside of the trailer. Opened the pantry door and saw the led on indicating a circuit problem, pulled out the fridge fuse and found one side was burned black. Fuse was not inserted into both terminals, in one and sitting on the other, high resistance, fuse burns and no fridge. Note fuse is not blown, just burnt externally. Last straw! Called the dealer and spoke to the general manager, oh bring it right in and we will have a look at it.....
At the dealer, general manager locates a tech and they start to look at the fridge. I gently direct them to the fuse box and show them the issue.
Oh is a burnt fuse! Stick in a new fuse and all things are working, fridge wise.
So i'm told to have a good vacation and be on my way. Still have a fridge full of food that has to be tossed out, and an a/c that is lethargic at best. Very poor service from a dealer and we are now regretting ever buying a new trailer.
We have no confidence in the product, absolutely no confidence in the dealer. And are always wondering what is going to stop working next. I know i have not included bunch of dealer interactions in this rant. I have read all the a/c sections on here and elsewhere. Should have left this unit at the dealer!!!
RGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Wow! All I can say is shame on the dealer. It sounds like your unit wasn’t prepared at all, and any issues found weren’t dealt with before delivery.

Brand new RV’s can come from the factory with a myriad of issues, and it’s how they are dealt with PRIOR TO DELIVERY that makes for a positive experience. There isn’t enough room to list the issues I have seen from the factory and delayed delivery.

It may be time to find a different authorized dealer, explain your situation and see if they can’t remove the sour taste from your mouth. We do it on a regular basis where I work, that’s one of the reasons I stay there. Let us know what happens.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #3
RGreene

I understand how the trailers are put together. I am an automotive technician for 38 years, Left the trade for a year and worked as a service manager at an rv dealership. Left after a year, upper management wanted some not so ethical things done! So back to the automotive trade. Had a chance to go to the open range factory, found it quite interesting.
We have had other trailers coachman, jayco, riverside travel trailer all were new units. All had their minor issues but none of them have disappointed us as much as this one.
I could not recommend the selling dealer nor could i recommend the keystone cougar fifth wheel. We have three authorized Keystone dealers in our area of nova scotia, and one is as bad as the other. If the dealer did not sell you the unit, you don't get service. They take care of their own customers, so if you are looking for warranty work or other repairs, you are a little bit of out of luck.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Unfortunately dealers only servicing their customers is becoming more common in the RV industry. I wish you all the best in getting your current RV fixed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
mhbell

It's not just Keystone

It's not just Keystone. All brands are having problems. Can't get good help at the factory and the dealerships are expected to repair things that should have been done at the factory. No quality control. Rush Rush turn them out as fast as they can. Greed, money the bottom line and to hell with the customer. I bought a brand new 2017 Forest River TT paid $495 for a PDI. Took it on a 900 mile trip. There were so many problems I traded it off after 4 months and took a 10K hit. I got a used 2016 Keystone Cougar. Everything works and no problems. I will never buy New Again. Only Used. Let someone else have the problems that come from the factory with a new unit.
Mel
Old 09-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
RGreene

This 2018 Cougar just keeps on giving! We towed the unit approximately 500 km or 310 miles for a vacation. This was three days after the fridge issue. As we were setting up at the new location and looking things over from the trip, we found a small lump in the flooring by the island in the area of the fridge. Oh look a new issue to pop up! As we were getting ready to leave for home after a weeks stay, it poured rain the day and evening before. I close the slides and dry off the roof of each slide, so as to help prevent water from staying in the trailer after a rain. We noticed the kitchen slide roof had two spots that were soft and bubbling upward! Well another problem with this new trailer!! I found the cause of the soft spots and bubbling. The slide motor Norco Bal Accu slide gear case had leaked lubricant from the gear housing and it dripped onto the roof membrane thus causing a deterioration of the roof material. Very disappointed in our trailer now. Towed home, parked it at our summer location and set it back up and opened the trailer. The bump in the floor is now a large lump with tear marks from the stress of the protruding fastener, and there is a second screw or bolt starting to come up through the flooring on the opposite side of the trailer. Called Keystone and they are on the dealer to repair the trailer!! Waiting for the dealer to call us back for an appointment time now, this was over a week ago. So we try for a relaxing long labour day weekend.. The relaxing weekend came to a smoking halt the next morning. Temperature had dropped to single digit over night and the trailer was chilly when my wife had gotten up. So she turned on the furnace, after a very short while she woke me up and asked me what the strange buzzing noise was and where the strong burning electrical smell was coming from! It seems the furnace has burnt up somewhere in the circuit board area and started to burn up! So when the furnace is activated by the thermostat, it buzzes and smokes. The furnace was used early in the season with no issues and was used when the dealer was looking at the a/c problem about a month and a half ago.
All the relaxation and joy has completely gone with the purchase of this trailer. We have had trailers for years and have had only minor issue, but nothing like the issues with this Keystone product. Each time we use it we can play the game of what the heck is going to pop up this time.. We are not new to the trailer world, we know they have issues, but holy cow this one just keeps disappointing. Not sure what our next step will be with the dealer and keystone.

Tags
fridge