Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2018, 04:57 AM   #1
garand41

Laredo 298 srl brakes

Purchased a new 298 srl in September. Does anyone know if these come with self adjusting brakes? Or, how I might find out?
garand41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:59 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

You may need to go to the source and call Keystone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
jsmith948

The brakes on our Laredo do not appear to be self adjusting. When I checked ours, the left front was way too loose and the rest needed some adjustment.
Now, I tend to be very easy on brake application so it could be that the auto adjusters weren't taking up the slack. But if you have ever adjusted the brakes on a car with self-adjusting brakes (way back when) you'll remember that it was a little more difficult to turn the star wheel. The Laredo's brake adjusters feel like they are of the manual variety. Of course, you could always just pull a wheel and look. I will just continue to monitor the brake adjustment manually until such time that I service the bearings.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Unless it was added in 2018, Cougar XLite trailers do not have self adjusting brakes. Laredo uses the same frames/axles, so I doubt that your trailer is equipped with them. As stated, the easiest way to know for sure is to remove one cotter pin and axle nut, pull the drum and look. If there's a 8" cable from the top that runs diagonally to the bottom (readily visible) then they are self adjusting. If there's no cable, they are not self adjusting brakes.

I wouldn't waste my time with Keystone CS, even if they do answer your question, I'd doubt their answer without verification.... That's just me, but I've read enough of the CS responses on this forum to give me no faith in what they tell customers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
travelin texans

I would suspect that unless you may have gotten the new fangled forward adjusting brakes that even if they are self adjusting that you, nor any one else, will ever back up far enough/fast enough while applying the brakes for them to ever adjust enough that you'd notice any difference.
Until I upgraded to disc brakes, I did all the wheel maintenance annually, packed bearings, inspected suspension components, inspected & tightened brakes manually.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #6
concours

FYI the self adjusting brakes self adjust during forward braking they are not like the old automotive self adjusting brakes. You can see if you have self adjusting brakes simply by removing the oblong rubber boot then with a flashlight look thru the hole, if you see the star wheel you have non self adjusting if you see a metal bar and cannot clearly see the star wheel you have self adjusting. I suggest that you look at the Dexter manual under self adjusting brakes and in the paragraph about how to set up self adjusting brakes you will see a good description of what I'm talking about. hope that helps. If you do have self adjusting let me tell you that they work really well providing that the drums aren't out of round, would I pay extra for them NO as the bearings and brake assemblies still need regular maintenance. Hope that helps.
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Self adjusting brakes still have the star wheel.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #8
travelin texans

They are just like the automotive self adjusting brakes, unless by some very slim chance he got the newest/latest/greatest brakes that do adjust going forward.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
They are just like the automotive self adjusting brakes, unless by some very slim chance he got the newest/latest/greatest brakes that do adjust going forward.
To the best of my knowledge, Dexter and ALKO never offered "reverse self adjusting brakes" for RV use. Lippert has never offered any self adjusting brake other than "forward adjusting" versions. I've never seen a "reverse adjusting brake system" on any RV axle assembly. If you have some information on model numbers or manufacturers, I'd really like to add that information so I can research the data for my "reference library"...

As for "how do I tell if I have self adjusting brakes" question, here is an excellent picture showing both "non adjusting brakes" on the left and "forward self adjusting brakes" on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SELF ADJUSTING BRAKES.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	15124  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
concours

As I said if you have self adjusting brakes you cannot clearly see the STAR WHEEL
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
As I said if you have self adjusting brakes you cannot clearly see the STAR WHEEL

Actually you can

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #12
garand41

Thanks for all the replies. I'll take a look at them when the weather permits. They have been working fine, I was just curious. I pretty well do all my own maintenance.
garand41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, laredo