Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2017, 05:19 AM   #1
Ffemtp613

In search of my first camper

I have a 3/4 gmc truck and I am in search of a trailer.

I know there is no "perfect " answer but I have 3 kids 16,9,8 and my bride who want to buy a trailer to see the country.

I am interested in knowing what your thoughts are on length, and what amenities you think a trailer should have.

My first thoughts are that an outdoor kitchen would be great and I really like an island for counter space.

Budget is about 30K or less.

Really looking forward to seeing your comments.

Thanks
Ffemtp613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:51 AM   #2
gearhead

First thing, look at all your numbers for your truck. The payload capacity will be on a yellow sticker inside the driver door frame. Should also be a sticker, maybe on the drivers door, for Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating, and Front and Rear Axle Ratings. Then go weigh your truck empty.
Since you are posting in the 5th wheel forum I assume you are considering a 5th. Weights on 5th wheels climb fast. You have to add the weight of the hitch in the bed of your truck, usually 200#+. Then there is the big storage bay in the front that you will want to pack full of grills, chairs, etc. Then the clothes closet up front that will be full of your wife's 28 pairs of shoes. (That's an "inside joke")
So all that said, when you get to a RV dealer they will tell you your 3/4 ton truck will tow anything on their lot. Not true.
So...I would look at a tongue pull travel trailer. Most will have less than 1,000# tongue weight. You will need a weight distribution hitch. The truck bed will be available to fill with bicycles, firewood, etc.
I would look at the Grand Design brand as well as Keystone for a mass produced RV. They share a lot of the same features but seem to have better customer relations.
Be very wary of RV sales people. Be very careful shopping in a huge heavily advertised dealership.
That didn't answer your question about floorplan, outside kitchen, etc., but I think you would need to walk through what interests you. We are all different in that regard. I would imagine you would want a bunkhouse plan. There are plenty of those.
When comparing lengths, 5th wheels and tongue pulls are measured differently. A 33ft tongue pull doesn't include the 3ft section of the tongue itself. The 5th's are measured from the pin to the rear.
Good luck. Let us know how you progress.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:51 AM   #3
Ffemtp613

The truck will pull 14,000 with 3,000 on the pin.

I like the keystone and grand designs as well
Ffemtp613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #4
jonnyaiks

If it's possible, what about starting with a used trailer that you think you'll like for a year or two. Then get a new one that you know you'll like. Our first trailer was new, but we ended up trading it in 2 years later (eating a bit of money at that) after learning what really works for us, and learning the kind of camping we really want to do.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffemtp613 View Post
The truck will pull 14,000 with 3,000 on the pin.

I like the keystone and grand designs as well
That "very generalized statement" is "only true for advertising purposes" and is simply not true with real world fifth wheel towing. It's the "hype that salesmen use" to "convince the novice" and is what gets almost every "noobie" in trouble with buying a trailer that's too big for their tow truck. Almost every one of them winds up at their favorite truck dealer buying another truck after finding out on the first trip that their tow vehicle is just not big enough.

You have to take the "payload" (I assume that's what you say is 3,000 pounds) as the total cargo capacity. It's NOT 3000 on the pin !!! By the time you deduct the weight of the hitch, your other cargo, tools, maps, running boards, children and spouse, pets and anything else you've added or loaded into or onto the truck, there's no way a 3/4 ton truck can also carry "3000 on the pin'. Remember, that air bag kit, the spray in bed liner and those heavy rubber mats you got to protect the carpet all come out of that "3000 on the pin" allowance. I'd say it's closer to 1500 on the pin, maybe even less than that.

Now, if you're planning to travel alone, not use the other 5 seats in your truck, not carry any cargo in the bed and not have a fifth wheel hitch, maybe you can say, "It'll carry 3000 on the pin."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
Tbos

Take a look at the payload sticker on the door frame of your truck. That will list your payload capacity as the truck came from the factory. Then subtract the items John mentioned. That will give you a good number to shoot for on your Pin. I suggest you look at 5er models "designed" to be 1/2 ton towable. Many of them will push the weights for a 3/4 ton but you might find one that suits your needs. I agree a bunkhouse setup would probably suit you the best. You might want to consider a lightweight Cougar 5er. There may also be some TTs out there that would more easily match up to your needs and truck. Good luck in your search and let us know what you decide.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #7
canesfan

I normally don't get into these discussions but, sorry to say, there is no way you're going to have 3000# pin weight capacity in a 2500, HD or not. Period. If you're very lucky you might manage 2000#, but probably more like 1500-1800 and that might be stretching it. Depends on what year it is. Do yourself a favor and listen to what others have posted. You can't go by the advertising numbers no matter how much you might want to and some people might tell you.

A bunkhouse would probably be a good fit now. The 16 year old is about at the age of not wanting to go anymore, and by the time he/she wants to go again the other two will be at the age of not wanting to go and you will probably have gone past the bunkhouse stage. Lots of good options out there in the Keystone world, Cougars are quite popular with families and can be a very good choice and fit if you find one that matches what your truck is capable of. Good luck in your search.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #8
busterbrown

Any pull behind trailer that has a GVWR of 10,000 or less should be within the specs of your TV. There are many Keystone floor plans that may work for your family. Both the Bullet and Passport lineups have lightweight bunkhouse models that include a kitchen slide out, giving you the option of an island. (Passport 3320BH and Bullet 311BHS come to mind).

If you're planning on "seeing the country", you should be aware that trailer length can be prohibiting when in comes to securing campground spots in many state and national parks. Just something to consider as you look at booking a site (for example) in Sequoia NP. Options can be more limiting the longer the trailer.

Best thing you can do is visit a Keystone dealer and walk through as many models as possible. Find one that you, the DW, and kids can agree on, including the amenities that are most important to you. Then, go out, camp, and have fun. Good luck.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

You probably need to review the numbers on your sticker to review the gvw, gawr and payload of the truck so you can have a better idea of what you can look at. You also didn't give any details of the TV; engine, ratio, body style etc. Those are useful in trying to match a truck and trailer.

busterbrown made a lot of good points. If the payload is 3000 (very good for a 3/4 ton indicating you probably have a gas engine) you will not be able to have a lot of pin weight as will probably come with a 5th wheel capable of comfortably accommodating 5 people and all their stuff for long periods. I would suggest you go to the Keystone website (keystonerv.com) and just look at the different trailer styles, floorplans etc. Under each model it gives all the specs plus the floorplan. It might help in shortening the list.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #10
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffemtp613 View Post
I have a 3/4 gmc truck and I am in search of a trailer.

I know there is no "perfect " answer but I have 3 kids 16,9,8 and my bride who want to buy a trailer to see the country.

I am interested in knowing what your thoughts are on length, and what amenities you think a trailer should have.

My first thoughts are that an outdoor kitchen would be great and I really like an island for counter space.

Budget is about 30K or less.

Really looking forward to seeing your comments.

Thanks
45 years ago our first tour the USA trip was in the back of a pick-up with a tent and a Coleman stove and lantern and ice chest. Don't forget the sleeping bag.

If the 30K is your budget you have got some shopping to do and I'm afraid the kids are in the tent.

It sounds like you are looking for a bunk house model to sleep the kids. The size and weight almost always demands a 1 ton Diesel tow vehicle and the larger ones will require a dual rear wheel vehicle. If you shop the used market carefully you may be able to put something together for your 30K

Good luck

Oh, the Laredo line-up sports outdoor kitchens as do others.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

You have 3 big dealers in your backyard practically. Trailside on the south side of 70 sells only Jayco. Lifestyle is a top 50 dealer the last 2 years and very nice people. Camping World is also on the north side of 70. You also have Liberty Rv in the Northland. I have bought 3 trailers from them and really like them a lot. All of these places carry used trailers as well as new. At least you can see a lot of different ones and determine what you like. Trailside, CW and Liberty all have mixed inventories and Keystone is found on all 3 lots. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote