Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
Bolo4u

Camera install

I'm about 99% certain I'm going to install a rearview safety, 3 camera, quick connect back-up camera system on my 5r. Not looking for input on the system press-, mores on routing the wires along the rear. Since I want to install it higher up on the rear cap, is there enough room in either rear corner of the 5r (2016 Cougar 333MKS) to fish the wires from the top to drop out the bottom so I have a clean look.

Looking from the inside of the upper rear cabinet, there looks to be an enclosure (boxed in area) of some type on the passenger side, and a smaller black plastic cover on the driver side. Anyone have an idea what might be hiding behind either one? I'm guessing these areas are used to run existing wires. I'm just wondering which side might be the better option to route the wires down, before I start opening things up. I don't have pics readily available asa I'm not near the unit. Thanks in advance.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Your rear wall may be "floating" meaning it isn't vacuum bonded like the sides. Only problem is wiring for lights and such are routed through framework before the wall is hung.

Without being there, my first guess would be they are covers for junction boxes. If squarehead screws hold them on, a couple of minutes with a drill/driver and you'll know for sure.
How do you plan on routing the wiring once your in the cabinet?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
David T. MacNeill

Or you could go wireless and skip (most of) the cabling. I'm installing the Garmin WB-30 to display on my new Garmin RV-660.
David T. MacNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #4
Bolo4u

I've looked at wireless. I already have built-in nav, so a garmin would be redundant. I like the option of the side cameras, but, I haven't been able to find any wireless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
David T. MacNeill

Inside rear window camera mount

I posted this in another thread here on the same topic:

We bought a Garmin RV660 partly because Garmin offers a relatively inexpensive rear camera (BC-30) that's wireless. While contemplating how and where to have it installed, in just occurred to me that our Montana Big Sky 3280 has a huge rear window, so why not mount the camera inside? Then the installation avoids all weatherproofing issues, gets the transmitter closer to the truck cab, and all the power wiring is inside the trailer.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

All of the wireless camera systems that I've seen on larger (over 32') trailers have experienced poor reception and required installation of a repeater system to carry the signal to the tow vehicle. Even then, many people have complained of limited reception, interference and poor performance with the wireless systems.

I have a 7 year old RVS "wired" system that was initially installed on our Springdale and when it was destroyed by the tree that fell on the roof, I removed the system and reinstalled it on our Cougar. It has the capacity for three cameras, a split screen capability to monitor all three cameras at the same time or is switchable to one or two in any sequence. It's worked flawlessly every time we've used it and honestly, it was cheaper than a "quality wireless" system. I suppose they make both types to meet the differing demands of consumers, but with all the problems that come with wireless systems and towing a boat behind the fifth wheel, I opted to choose a system that I knew offered the consistent performance I needed when towing. I haven't been disappointed.

As for installing the camera on the rear wall, there is a vertical aluminum spar "directly in the center of the rear wall. You'll need to drill a 5/8" hole through the wall (to accommodate the "Cannon Plug" connector on the camera. I drilled mine "just to the left of center" to avoid that vertical spar. I ran the camera wiring completely through the rear wall, into the upper cabinet (our floorplan is a rear kitchen) and then to the roadway side, down inside the cabinets and out the bottom of the floor. There I connected the camera to the "RVS System" cable, attached the cable using zip ties to the black iron propane pipe and then re-entered the trailer through the space between the front landing jack and the steel flooring in that part of the front basement. I ran the cable up the front compartment, under (inside) the "overhang skin and out the pinbox opening. There I attached the "coiled fifth wheel connector" which connects to the truck's RVS harness which is installed next to the "in bed 7 way connector" for the trailer. It's a "clean, easy to install" system. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the RVS quality and I'm certain you'll find no fault with their customer support, if you find a need to contact them.

I'd recommend RVS to anyone. Over the past 7 years it's worked flawlessly and when I needed a new component, a quick phone call and it was overnighted to me from their warehouse in New York. Technical support and spare parts are still available for my system, something you can't find on most 7 year old electronic systems.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Look at Tadi Brothers website. Many have gotten good deals or help from them. No personal experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #8
Bolo4u

I removed one of the two covers in the upper rear cabinet (the one screwed in with two screws vs. on the other side it's a box stapled in place) and found a loom of wires coming from the ceiling into the wall. Tomorrow I'll explore how many (if any) of the wires continue down and out the bottom of the unit.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:21 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

I have installed a number of the Furrion wireless on trailers over 35' and haven't had a customer yet complain of poor quality video.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:14 AM   #10
Dave W

Subscribing as I too would like a rear facing camera for our 5er and haven't figured out how yet.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #11
DWBinRI

I hang mine on the inside of the back window run the cable on the floor to the front of the trailer to the wireless transmitter works great with minimal effort

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nighthorse - 2020 F-450 CC DRW 6.7
Hitchhiker - 2020 Cougar 367FLS
DWBinRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
cant_remember_ID

I have a wired Rear View Safety camera on my Cougar too. After a bashed the back end when it was about a month old, I decided a camera is a worthy investment. While the back wall was off, I asked the RV body shop to run the camera wire down the back wall. I don't wish this luxury on anyone else. However, if I had to do it again, I wonder if you could run it through the ceiling. It seems the wire would just have to go in a little higher on the wall. Just a thought, might be worth investigating.
cant_remember_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #13
Bolo4u

Camera install

Update: I was able to finally look underneath the left rear corner (driver side) of the 5r. Most of the same bundle of wires I found behind the black plastic cover in the upper rear cabinet come out under the unit! I have a plan to hopefully fish a wire from inside and out the bottom...

Here's the cover and wires inside the upper rear cabinet.
The visible orange wire is one of the two coax wires running with the loom.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #14
Bolo4u

If anybody is in the market for a Rearview safety multi-cam w/quick connect, (RVS-770616-2133) Walmart has them for sale on-line for ~$420, with free shipping. I ordered one and chose the free pickup option at my local store, and it took another $11 off, so it was $408 before tax. I haven't found those cameras anywhere cheaper than $499.

I also ordered 5 of the Carlisle HD ST235/80R16 tires, they were $77 each.

So for everything shipped to my local Walmart and I pickup, it was about $860.

My regular tire shop wanted about $750 to install 5 new Carlisle tires, (the tires alone were $120 through him). When I told him about the Walmart price, he told me to get them there and he'd install them for $25 a tire. I'm still money ahead.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #15
David T. MacNeill

Inside camera mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBinRI View Post
I hang mine on the inside of the back window run the cable on the floor to the front of the trailer
I am doing this as well with my Garmin BC-30 camera, as soon as I can find the 12V lines going into a nearby lamp. I tested the wireless range connected to a compact jump start battery which has a 12V jack and My Garmin RV 660 picked up the signal nice and clear.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #16
FTWingRiders

Here is my thread on my RVS wired install..

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=22009
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote