Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
Mboys

Alpine question

We have a new 3511RE and trying to figure out what the switch is for located in the door frame of the main entrance door. We do not have a porch light, only the awning strip lighting. I thought it may be possibly a safety switch to send a signal to the truck the door was open while towing??
It obviously is activated each time the door is open or closed.
Does anyone have any ideas on this one?
Mboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
bobbecky

On the Montana's, that switch operates the light at the ceiling when the door is opened. If the light isn't coming on, you might have bulbs out, bad switch, or something else disconnected. Possibly someone didn't like the switch operated light coming on, and maybe they disconnected the switch.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #3
Mboys

I'll have to check out that possibility. We're the first owners so I know we haven't disconnected anything. Just have to figure out which lights it may activate. Will be a nice feature if that's what it is. Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:06 AM   #4
Pull Toy

It is a three way switch, and should have a matching switch in the living area. My entry switch occasionally needs to be "exercised" since we don't use it that often. Snapping it off and on a few times usually gets the job done.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:13 AM   #5
captcolour

Congrats on the 3511RE. Nice floor plan, but looks like they discontinued it. We just purchased a 3600RS which is a left over 2016 as they discontinued it as well. Yours a 2017 or a 2016?

We haven't taken delivery yet as we are waiting on our TV to be built.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:18 AM   #6
bsmith0404

It's been awhile since I used that switch, but if I remember correctly, it's for the light along the base of the door when you open the door. Possibly the lights in the stairs. I do remember it's designed so you can reach in and turn it on when you open the door.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:41 AM   #7
Mboys

We bought ours last Nov. and is a 2016. We had a rough start with the unit being in the shop for the first three months but took it out for a one week shake down and all seems to be OK. We do like the floor plan (bedroom a little tight), Getting ready for a five months trip, that will be the real test.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:48 AM   #8
Mboys

This is actually in the door frame itself much like a car door switch which I tend to agree with Bobbecky, it most likely operates an internal light as you enter the unit. This makes since due to the fact there are no wall switches immediately inside and you have to stumble around finding a light switch unless you carry a flashlight with you all the time.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:58 AM   #9
Mboys

I wonder if this door frame switch overrides the inside switch for the stairs when you turn it off or on from inside? I'll have to check this one out as well. Thanks for the hint.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I can't say with any certainty what your "door activated switch" controls, but one feature on many fifth wheels is a light "under the door" that is mounted on the frame rail. It is essentially a "running light" type of fixture which illuminates the outside stairs when the door is opened. Could that be the "hidden feature" your switch activates? Just a guess.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:16 AM   #11
tdawg

On my 2013 it operates the door sill light strip on floor.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #12
CarKath

On my alpine. The switch down low beside the door turns the ceiling light on/off above the door . (inside ). For night entry supposedly. I never use it. Three way switched from control center.

I actually have a 2 gang there . The second one operates the light above the door on the exterior. I have that disabled so it never comes on . It is programmed via the switch .

Carl
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:21 AM   #13
Mboys

I'll check that one out too. Haven't noticed that but bulb could be loose or burned-out if there is a fixture. It's a new unit but had to replace a bedroom light that was burned out our fist night out. I'll crawl under there and take a look. THANKS
Old 04-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #14
Mboys

I have neither an outside light or inside light above the door. When you say your switch is down low beside the door, is it actually on the wall? Mine is in the frame of the door like a car door switch that would activate a dome light. I'm wondering if the factory forgot to add a door light now.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:39 AM   #15
CarKath

Yes my switches are inside. Down low ( a few inches off the floor ) to the right as you enter . I also have strip lighting below the door on the exterior that comes on when door is opened . I wonder if that is MIA.

My unit is a 2011 and I am sure they have changed many things since then .
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:44 AM   #16
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I can't say with any certainty what your "door activated switch" controls, but one feature on many fifth wheels is a light "under the door" that is mounted on the frame rail. It is essentially a "running light" type of fixture which illuminates the outside stairs when the door is opened. Could that be the "hidden feature" your switch activates? Just a guess.
Now that I know exactly which switch you are talking about, it's this ^^^. There is a strip light right under the door that lights up to illuminate the stairs.

The other switch we are talking about is an actual wall switch that is at floor level just inside the door to turn on the inside entry light. Different lights in different models. Mine turns on the hall light above the stairs.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #17
Mboys

It would sure be nice to have that feature. Who knows, the switch on my door may even start the coffee pot for me��I just want a light to come on so I don't fall on my ............I'll let you know when I figure this one out. Can't be rocket science, (or can it)
Old 04-02-2017, 07:51 AM   #18
Mboys

Great.........thanks so much.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #19
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
On the Montana's, that switch operates the light at the ceiling when the door is opened. If the light isn't coming on, you might have bulbs out, bad switch, or something else disconnected. Possibly someone didn't like the switch operated light coming on, and maybe they disconnected the switch.
Agree. Our Montana has two interior lights that come on when we open the door.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine