Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #1
timd3200

Pulling a boat

Just bought a boat. Just wondering as long as the OVA length is ok can you pull a boat behind a 5th wheel trailer with proper hitching, or does it require a certain 5th wheel trailer? Brand or model make a difference? Trying to reduce the amount of vehicles going down the road on a trip. I understand you have to have the proper tow vehicle. I am looking to upgrade to a dually next time around.
B&W companion hitch
timd3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Probably depends on what state you reside in. Here in Ca the total length is limited to 65'. Another consideration is special licensing. Check your state's vehicle department for any restrictions and licenses.

Hitching a boat up to the back of a fiver requires a hitch that is strong enough to handle the weight, and is secured to the fiver properly. Adding tongue weight to the back will reduce your pin weight.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by timd3200 View Post
Just bought a boat. Just wondering as long as the OVA length is ok can you pull a boat behind a 5th wheel trailer with proper hitching, or does it require a certain 5th wheel trailer? Brand or model make a difference? Trying to reduce the amount of vehicles going down the road on a trip. I understand you have to have the proper tow vehicle. I am looking to upgrade to a dually next time around.
My concern with your question is that you never thought through the towing situation. Double towing is illegal in many places and in others is limited by length. It is also very difficult and dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. I see very few (2-3 in the last 5-6 years) doing it simply due to the legalities, complexities and, really, the silliness. Sitting here in the camp I would love to watch someone with a trailer with a boat behind it trying to negotiate a campsite; heck, it's hilarious to watch those that have a mini motorhome with a micro "car" trying to get in. My rig is long enough. If I think I need a boat where I'm going I rent one.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:25 AM   #4
notanlines

http://www.woodalls.com/ is a good place to start with regard on triple towing legality. This is a list of states that SUPPOSEDLY allow the practice:
•Alaska
•Arizona
•Arkansas
•California
•Colorado
•Idaho
•Illinois
•Indiana
•Iowa
•Kansas
•Kentucky
•Louisiana
•Maryland
•Michigan
•Minnesota
•Mississippi
•Missouri
•Montana
•Nebraska
•Nevada
•New Mexico
•North Dakota
•Ohio
•Oklahoma
•South Dakota
•Tennessee
•Texas
•Utah
I might be inclined to talk to a knowledgeable individual at a hitch shop and have them decide if it seems safe to install your receiver. I found this info also...ILLINOIS: maximum combined length of two- or three-vehicle combination (with fifth-wheel trailer only) 60 ft.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:18 AM   #5
66joej

Double towing here in BC is illegal mainly because of the mountains. Other provinces such as AB, SK, MB I know for sure you can double as long as overall length is under 65'.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:35 AM   #6
bsmith0404

In the Midwest you will probably see a lot more triple tows than other areas. In WI and MN they are everywhere, but those are states that get a lot of revenue each year from the sport fishing and RV industry. I have triple towed with a couple different 5ers and several members of my family have been doing it for many years. I know WI length limit is 65' which if you had a dually and a 16' boat, you don't have much length left for an RV. When I lived in WY, it wasn't a concern, their limit is 80'. Here's a guide from Good Sam. According to this WI is 60' and WY is 85'. I found another guide that shows WI at 65' (which was the law when I lived there and what my dad says is still the case) and doesn't show WY at all. Moral of the story, research your state with the DOT to make sure.

https://www.goodsamcamping.com/plan/sizelimits.aspx

As for the hitch, I always had them installed by the RV dealer. In states such as WI they install them all the time and are very knowledgeable. Other areas they may not be.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I triple-tow in Michigan, so I can speak of the specific requirements you'll encounter in this state. Keep in mind that these laws apply to people who have a Michigan Driver's License, not other states.

First, the Driver's License must have a "triple tow endorsement" which requires a written test and a "new" license. You can't get the endorsement to your existing license as an attachment. So you'll have to pay the fee for a new license.

Second, the maximum length IN MICHIGAN is 75'. That is 10' longer than most of the surrounding states. I have a 2015 F250 CCSB, a 32' fifth wheel and a 17'6" boat. My total length is 74'4", so if your state maximum length is 65', then you'll be "too long" with a similar truck/boat if your fifth wheel is longer than 22'. Moral of the story: DO YOUR MEASUREMENTS BEFORE YOU TRY IT OR BUY IT !!!!!

Third, your truck "should be" significantly below the GCWR before you even attempt to triple tow. As an example, if your truck's GCWR is 19,000 pounds, typical for a gas powered 3/4 ton truck, with a truck that weighs 7K empty and a trailer weighing 8K, you're at 15K. Add 600 pounds of people, 2K of cargo to the truck and trailer, and you're at 17.6K. That only leaves 1400 pounds for the boat, motor and trailer. That means a small aluminum skiff, 15HP outboard and a small trailer is all you can tow without being over your GCWR. You can essentially forget a 18' fiberglass "ski boat". It weighs in over 3K on the trailer, and you don't have the capacity to add the weight of the boat. Moral of the story: YOUR TRUCK MAY BE OVERLOADED IF YOU TRY IT !!!

Fourth, you'll not be able to back the combined rig. What that means is that every campground will be a challenge as will many gas stations, all McDonald's on the road and all but the very outer fringes of parking lots are "off limits". We've adapted by learning that we need to drop the boat, enter the campground, get the trailer set up, then go back to get the boat. Otherwise, we can't even negotiate the roads in many campgrounds. Finding out when you're blocking the road is not polite, is frustrating, and means a lot of inconvenience to resolve. Moral of the story: You'll need to significantly "relearn and change" your typical towing habits.

Fifth, You'll need to add a rear view camera system to your trailer. When triple towing, you won't be able to see the boat "AT ALL" while on the highway. The only time you can visualize your "rear trailer" is in tight turns. Moral of the story: Without the camera, you can blow a tire, lose the boat, bounce the motor off the transom and not know it until you stop for fuel or lunch, possibly several hundred miles from the incident.

Sixth, your fifth wheel really makes "the difference". Depending on the frame under your fifth wheel, you may or may not be able to add a hitch receiver to the back. Some fifth wheels are constructed with "bare minimum frames" to keep them in the "Ultra-light" or "Extra Light" category. Those frames may not be suitable to support the added weight without damaging the fifth wheel. So discuss it "at length" with your dealership and/or an "expert welding service" (not your friend that has a welder in his garage and will help you add it to your truck to save a buck). Moral of the story: You may be "under built" to even consider adding more weight to the rear of your trailer.

Here are photos of my rig (before the new truck which is actually 2" shorter than the one if the pictures), as I said, 74'+ of length. I won't tow outside Michigan because I'm too long. That's with a "short bed truck", "short fifth wheel" and "smaller than average bass boat". I would be overloaded, too long and illegal if I had a long bed crew cab truck, any longer fifth wheel and/or a boat longer than 18'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRIPLE TOWING.jpg
Views:	1576
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	11848   Click image for larger version

Name:	TRUCK TRAILER AND BOAT.jpg
Views:	3605
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	11849  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
sandy43

Everything JRTJH said +. I towed a 20' Bassboat behind my 5vr for 10+ yrs.
Never a problem. Hit the lake, drop the boat, back the RV in, hook everything up, hook the boat to the truck, and I'm ready to go.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #9
Richard Noble

I'd be very about the increase in weight on the 5er tires. Make sure you can safely do this.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Here's a link from GS listing various lengths. It seems it would be hard to have a 5th wheel of any size and a boat of any size and fall within many of these guidelines. This is one of the reasons I personally decided not to try to tow my boat (53' limit in MS???)....along with hitch fabrication and other issues. So, gave my Basstracker ProTeam 185? with 4 hours on it to my son in Dallas. I sure wish I had it here - 1/2 dozen boat ramps within 10 minutes.

https://www.goodsamcamping.com/plan/sizelimits.aspx
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #11
CWSWine

Come on John backing a boat with 5er is easy - just watch this guy.LOL

2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Definitely a "better backer" than me !!!!! Now, let's hope he didn't forget to set the parking brake !!!!! Hmmm maybe it's really a "houseboat" instead of a fifth wheel ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:16 PM   #13
timd3200

Thanks for all the replies. Of course I am not going to tow if it is illegal. Second I understand you have to have the correct CGVW for the tow vehicle. Trust me. I have hauled enough grain with my semi and 34 ft hopper bottom to understand the rules of the road. I just wanted to know about the possibilities of it. Thanks again.
B&W companion hitch
timd3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #14
lacofdfireman

Stay 65ft and under and your ok. But if your pushing 75ft I'd bet you 99% of the time you'd also be ok. There are very few officers out there that know the rules or could,tell the difference between 65 and 75ft out on the road. And I guarantee most of them would also think that if your towing double you must know what your doing.

I drove truck OTR for many years. I often times towed double and even Triples in states where it's allowed. You defiantly have to plan in advance and preplan gas stops and any areas where a turnaround will be taken but if you take it easy it's no harder than pulling a single. Don't plan on backing very far anywhere. It's just not going to happen. I have seen a guy back a set of doubles into a dock once. That's a skill I never had even though I could back in a straight line for a little ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #15
lacofdfireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Come on John backing a boat with 5er is easy - just watch this guy.LOL

That's how it's done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #16
bsmith0404

I will never encourage someone to exceed legal limits, but I will also add that my dad is at 71' with his setup (65' is the legal limit in his state) and has been doing it with different combinations for about 15 yrs. A state police officer told him they don't check until there is an accident, then the tape measures come out.

I agree with the camera system suggestion. That is the only way to know what is going on back there.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:07 PM   #17
Jgkopp

Here in Cali if your a California resident with CA drivers lisence you need a class A. Normally drivers operate under a class C to drive a car. I am not sure how they treat an out of state driver. Maybe check your state if you can drive this set up with your license. If so I would carry some documents that indicate your in compliance with your state.

I know of one guy I that put a small sign in his 5th wheel back window that indicated he had a class A drivers license. I guess he got tired of being pulled over only to have them checking him out if he was legal.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ElygXOXXGSc
Jgkopp is offline   Reply With Quote