Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #21
David T. MacNeill

We bought a Garmin RV660 partly because Garmin offers a relatively inexpensive rear camera (BC-30) that's wireless. While contemplating how and where to have it installed, in just occurred to me that our Montana Big Sky 3280 has a huge rear window, so why not mount the camera inside? Then the installation avoids all weatherproofing issues, gets the transmitter closer to the truck cab, and all the power wiring is inside the trailer.
David T. MacNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #22
Steve S

I don't have a camera on the trailer but I do have one on the truck that came with it. I've tried many times to try to understand it and get used to it but every time I usually end up backing into a flower pot! lol! It turns on whenever I stick it in reverse and it's distracting.
I guess that I'm so used to using my mirrors and it's tough to teach an old dog new tricks.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #23
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

The camera is extra, in addition to the mirrors, not a replacement for them. Used together I love them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

Never had one, don't have one, don't plan on getting one.
They are great, but I guess since I "grew up" without, I am used to doing without.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #25
Modersical

Backup Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
The camera is extra, in addition to the mirrors, not a replacement for them. Used together I love them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
I agree wholeheartedly ctbruce! The more views you have, the better and safer your backing will be. No single camera view can be taken as seeing what is really there too. Nothing beats direct looking at objects with your eyes and/or the eyes of a helper. It is hard to see somethings via a camera that are in shadow, or in the edge of shadows, or maybe a small post.

If alone, I still get out and look at the area; and the main value of a camera to me is knowing just how close I am getting to a known object I can see, or if a vehicle has suddenly pulled in behind me. It is one more tool available to help.
Modersical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:30 PM   #26
Sniper

Has anyone tried mounting a wireless backup camera in the rear window of their 5er? Just wondering how it would work. Thanks in advance.

Retired LEO, Veteran
I'm growing older, but I'll never grow up.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #27
Chevrolise

i clamp my gopro on the ramp door handle. Use my iphone. Takes 30 sec. No wire's, no extra equipment.

16 Chevy 3500 diesel
16 Fuzion 325
CanAm Spyder, Yamaha Grizzly
Kymco mxu 500i, 2 grandsons
way too many Kayaks
Chevrolise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Has anyone tried mounting a wireless backup camera in the rear window of their 5er? Just wondering how it would work. Thanks in advance.

If you mean inside the glass, I’m not sure you would get a clear picture (glare) and the signal may not transmit well through the structure.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:18 PM   #29
Modersical

I got a Voyager wireless on sale from Camper World and installed on back of my 35' TT. Works great. You can hear sound through it too, for verbal messages if you have an extra helper back behind for extra safety. Have to turn the sound down when driving, because it gets kind of noisy.

I wired it to my upper, rear, center clearance light, so just turn on the lights for power to camera. You can monitor well while passing and changing lanes too.

My brother liked it so well, he had me put one on the back of his Minnie Winnie. The monitor plugs into dash power outlet.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #30
Randallf

My camera was pre wired so all i had to do was connect it. I love it.
I can see whats coming behind while traveling down the road and i can see what
behind me when backing into a rv spot.
The only think i wish it had is a bigger monitor
randy
2017 sprinter fifth wheel
Randallf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:14 AM   #31
Modersical

I had a choice between a smaller iPhone size monitor and larger iPad size monitor and went with the smaller. Driving down the road, your focus need's to be through the windshield, ahead, unless changing lanes or passing. The smaller monitor close to steering wheel's outer edge allows for quick glances, as you move your visual scan around. Besides, it is easier to find space without blocking windshield or dash instruments, vents, or radio if you don't have to find space for a wide screen TV.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

I have a Rear View Safety wired system https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...5th-wheel.html It comes with a 7" "stand alone monitor". We tow with a 2015 F250 crew cab. There's simply no place to put such a large monitor on the dash where it won't block the view, make something else "inaccessible" or just "be in the way".... I've resorted to a Velcro adaptation to mount the monitor on the truck's rear view mirror. That's not a 'good solution' either, but beats blocking the dash or windshield visibility.

I'm looking for an alternative (read: smaller) monitor that would fit somewhere without being in the way.....

Bigger is not always better.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #33
Modersical

I recently added a backup camera to my Nissan XD, which has an iPad size screen built in on the dash. Depending on the type of screen ��, which is multifunctional for use with music album displays, navigation, and rear cameras; I've been given to understand that you can get a plug-in harness to patch an add in camera through to this monitor. The main downside to this route, if you happen to have an adaptable monitor is the cost for the proprietary plug and play harness.

I opted to go with the less expensive mirror monitor. My little Thor MH came with one built in and it is great . . . Just look in mirror to see what is behind you . . . Just like what we have been used to doing for years, as we drive.

As I say, it works great in the MH; however, in my crew cab pickup, the rear side windows, and the back glass cause so much glare reflection, that it is hard to see any image in the mirror, without holding something up to block the glare.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #34
Bowti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowti View Post
A lot of people seem to like the RVS-770613-213 from Rear View Safety. I just picked one up, but don't have it installed yet so can't give a report.
Just wanted to add this camera has performed great and is still working flawlessly after several years. I am very happy with it and like the large colored screen.

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
Bowti is offline   Reply With Quote