Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2018, 07:08 AM   #1
labman

heading home

DW and I have been sitting in Lincoln NE since Sunday night waiting for the weather to clear so we can get home to see the new grand daughter. (born mid February while we were away) The path home is windy with gusts to 30 mph and I just want to get home safe. My question to you towing vets is what is the comfort level towing a 37' 5er for you all? How much wind will you tow in? The road home is to Minnesota so there will be some blowing snow along with the wind. I am going stir crazy sitting here......
Old 03-06-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The conditions I worry about are black ice, slush and wind. On a dry road, a 30 MPH sidewind may seem OK, just tiring to pull the trailer, but put some ice on the road and it could easily turn into a nightmare with a 15 MPH gust. Slush will accumulate under the trailer and in the wheelwells just like it does on your tow vehicle, so what is 500 pounds under your GVW could be 1000 pounds over your GVW at the end of a "bad day towing on slush covered roads"....

Take it easy, remember that you can always find a place to "hole up and wait it out", so safety is more important than getting to the destination. We had a member, about 3 or 4 years ago, tow his travel trailer from (I think) southeastern Michigan and somewhere around northern Ohio (a couple hundred miles from home) he hit a patch of black ice, lost control, totaled the trailer and truck. So it can happen, stay alert, be careful and don't let seeing that new grandbaby cloud your better judgment.....

Safe Travels,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:15 AM   #3
notanlines

Labman, this post also may not be what you are interesting in hearing, but think how many years you and DW will tell the story of all the things you did in Nebraska during the winter of the "big one."
Now think of the number of years your grandkids will talk behind your back about grandpa's rig in the ditch. Those little munchkins don't need any more ammo.....enjoy your stay in Nebraska and then take it easy going to Minnesota with good roads.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
travelin texans

At this point your new grandbaby doesn't know whether you're there or not so rushing to get there is only for you, but I completely understand the feeling.
The decision to go or stay is up to you, but for me if it took a week or a month to get there, the only thing that matters is that you get there safely.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #5
Kansas Gary

Man if I was going to be pulling anything in this wind today I wouldn’t get 3 mpg . My advise is stay put and wait it out. Your new grand baby won’t hold it against you.....
Kansas Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I pulled my old Jayco 36 footer across Wyoming in ‘09 with 40mph side winds. Wasn’t fun but I needed to make miles. Watch for black ice keep the speed down and roll. I can speak from experience, a DRW will hold its footing.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Where I live in W TX winds, and really heavy winds, are a given much of the time and I don't worry too much about it until it gets in the mid 40+ range. Ice and/or black ice is another story. They are unforgiving if something happens (watched a video a moment ago on FOX from ND showing a garbage compactor truck sliding slowly down the street - sideways. No stopping, nothing to do but wait for something to happen). I wouldn't tow across those kinds of highways unless it was life or death. I know you're antsy but make sure the roads aren't treacherous before you take out. Sometimes it's impossible to undo things when something really bad happens. Be careful and safe travels.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #8
Alpine

Yup... if you are questioning the idea of if it is safe or not, more than likely it is not safe! If your gut says no, then no it should be!!!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
labman

update

We were ousted from the motel we were at due to previous bookings and the high school basketball tourney. We set out around noon yesterday from Lincoln and the wind wasn't bad. (20mph) The roads were dry so eastward on I80 we went. When we made Des Moines which was our original goal it was still early so we headed north. The wind was now coming from the NW and my mileage went from 11 to 7.5mpg. BTW, I kept the speed at or below 55-60mph. Made it home at 9:00pm. There was never a point I felt tense and the roads remained clear. I appreciate all the helpful and cautious advice. This is the best web site I have found for helpfulness and sharing knowledge and experience.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I think I speak for every member of the forum when I say that we are glad you made it home safe and sound. Hug that new grandbaby and enjoy your time with her.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote