Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #1
EVMIII

Alpine owners - exterior light question

This seems like a silly question, especially considering that I have had the camper for a couple years, but here goes:

I have an exterior light on the driver side of the Alpine, seems to be located above the water connection area about level with the light on the other side; how do I turn it on? I don't believe I have ever seen it on (or needed it on).

The exterior light (not motion) on the other side is inoperable (cause yet to be determined). First guess is it works off the same switch an it too is inoperable. If this is the case, it's likely more than just a bulb issue. If not, where the heck is the switch? Is there a single fuse/breaker just for those lights? Everything else works.

Unfortunately I have a knee issue at present that makes it a little difficult to get up a ladder,so if it's more than a quick bulb fix it is probably beyond my buddies skill set (mine also). I hate to drag it in for a couple exterior lights, but I need to get them working before I leave for our big trip in August. Thanks for any assistance.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you have a remote control, most exterior lights that are "turned on or off" with the remote must be "reset" using the remote before any manual switch will operate the light. Often the "off side courtesy light" is operated from the same switch as the porch light or the scare light (big round white light up high on the bedroom wall). Your remote control hand unit may even have a "light symbol" on it, either as a separate switch or possibly as an optional screen on the LCD panel.

Often there is a switch either beside the "overhang door/wall" or sometimes inside the front compartment. Occasionally, with a convenience center, the switch is located there.

I'd first try the remote, if that doesn't work, then start looking for switches in the above listed locations. It's there "somewhere".... often, it is even an "overlooked switch right on the fixture"..... Those are called, "oops, where'd that come from?" switches.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #3
EVMIII

No remote. I checked surrounding compartments and didn't see any other switches (excluding hookup LEDs where switch is in battery comp). I'm guessing whatever is keeping the scare light on on door side from working is also keeping this one from working. I don't see any dedicated fuses just for those lights. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
EVMIII

Ok, found the fuse for outside lights (15amp, top fuse in panel), fuse was good. I swapped it out with a new fuse, but lights still don't work. When I get my knee to cooperate I'll put a meter on the fixture and check for power.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
Harleyhop

Mine is turned on by The bottom row of rocker switches second one from the left I believe.
Sorry in the control panel on the wall in hallway.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #6
EVMIII

I only have a single row of rocker switches; one for the motion sensor light and one for the scare light. It turns on the scare light on the door side (atleast it used to when it worked), never noticed the light on other side being on. I'm not sure it has ever worked.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #7
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
I only have a single row of rocker switches; one for the motion sensor light and one for the scare light. It turns on the scare light on the door side (atleast it used to when it worked), never noticed the light on other side being on. I'm not sure it has ever worked.
I believe the scare lights on both sides turn on together. I have just the opposite problem, the one on the passenger side is not working, but the drivers side one does turn on with the same switch described by others. I seldom have a need for them so I haven't had the ambition to climb up and check it. It's most likely the bulb, I would check that when you can before I spent too much time chasing other problems.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #8
EVMIII

I'm hoping it's just a bulb, but it seems highly unlikely both sides would go out at the same time. I'm guessing it's going to be a ground issue. I think it is supposed to stop raining here next week sometime so I'll get on the project then. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:09 AM   #9
ChuckS

My 2014 Alpine has a,separate rocker switch that controls both those outside flood lines. I used a label on maker and made labels for each switch.. also with other outside lines on I can still turn on the flood listed as well
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #10
EVMIII

I finally got to working on the "scare lights". Luckily I found both bulbs were bad, $5.95 for a couple bulbs and in back in business. The bulb on driver side was actually broken, DW and I believe it was probably that way when we got it. Best recollection we have never seen it on until today. As noted by others, a single switch controls both lights.

A little concerned on how the bulb was broken, lens cover doesn't have a mark on it. No sign of moisture, etc. I'm sure they get bounced around pretty good, but it was still in the socket and could not make contact with anything. I'll probably replace with LED later (couldn't find the locally).

In any case, back in business and ready for our big trip in August. Thanks to all for help.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #11
lt_cowboy

When you replace them with LED, look in to M4LED. They have been awesome. I'm fully converted to LED, have only had one bad globe on the vanity. They replaced it no questions asked.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
lt_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, light