Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
reddog7571

New Guy's Questions

I'm new to 5th wheels, and I have a few questions.
1. Brake controllers, are they a must for your 5th wheel?
2. When your water is hooked up to city water, what prevents you main clean water tank from over flowing?
3. Is there anyway to prevent your Hot water heater from coming on when it doesn't have any water in it?
4. Is it best to have a plug inside the bed of your truck for the 5th wheel to plug into, rather than on the outside of the bed where it normally is? Thanks in advance!!
reddog7571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
gnirwin

Yes brake controller, 2 separate systems 1 bypasses the other , turn off hot water tank from inside coach, I don't think a plug there is worth the effort in changing...actually if you are a new owner you should seek out an experienced camper owner, doesn't have to be a 5th wheel owner, these are all basic sytems you are questioning, all campers have them.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog7571 View Post
I'm new to 5th wheels, and I have a few questions.
1. Brake controllers, are they a must for your 5th wheel?
2. When your water is hooked up to city water, what prevents you main clean water tank from over flowing?
3. Is there anyway to prevent your Hot water heater from coming on when it doesn't have any water in it?
4. Is it best to have a plug inside the bed of your truck for the 5th wheel to plug into, rather than on the outside of the bed where it normally is? Thanks in advance!!
1. Yes, Brake controller is required to control brakes on any trailer
2, Usually when hooked up to city water, it is used to pressurize your Rig, not using your FW Tank in this mode, however there is a valve that you can position to fill your FWT, which if you do not watch will overflow through the gravity fill
3.Depending on the type HWT it can be turned off inside or outside the rig or both

Added: 4. neater if 5th wheel to have plug in the bed, however opposite if TT neater if plug is on the bumper. Electrically Same
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum
From a quick search:

1)
Quote:
A trailer or pole trailer is required to have brakes if its gross weight exceeds 4,500 lbs. A trailer with a gross weight between 4,500 lbs. and 15,000 lbs. is not required to have brakes if it is towed at a speed of not more than 30 mph.
There are several brands and styles, so take your time and choose the one that best fits your needs. I can highly recommend the Prodigy by Tekonsha.

2) as stated if the convenience center has a valve where you hook up the water supply it should be labeled "tank fill" and "city water". In the City water position water will only flow to the fixtures in the trailer

3)Turn off the switches. You may have the electric switch on the outside of the water heater in the lower left corner. If it has a switch inside then turning off that switch is just as good, Propane flame is turned on/off inside the coach

4)That depends on your personal preference. Some have it, some don't. I have my umbilical cord on the bumper and haven't had any issues with turning radius.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #5
gearhead

If you have a relatively newer truck it might have an integrated brake controller. Look on the dash for a slide switch and buttons labelled +/-.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:05 AM   #6
bsmith0404

I'll just add a couple things. First, as far as I know, other than the power switches, there isn't anything to prevent the hot water heater from coming on if it is empty. The propane won't ignite, but if you turn the electrical on it will heat and burn out the element.

As for a plug in the bed of the truck, not necessary, many will hook it up at the bumper. Personally, I put a connector in the bed. It's pretty easy. Newer trucks may already have the wiring there for you and just need the connector. There is also a connector that you can buy that Ts into your existing wiring. I actually have both. I have a connector like this at the rear of the bed just inside the tailgate that was put in by T-ing into the existing harness.

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...FR25wAodvBcGXQ

My truck also came with a harness for an in bed connector, but it's designed for installation near the front of the bed. Just needed to buy a connector and install it. The advantage of the front of the bed is the umbilical is kept clear of other items near the tailgate. The advantage of the rear of the bed is it's easily reached.

As for why I have both, I used the one at the front for charging auxiliary batteries that I used to run other equipment. Both are not needed for pulling your 5er.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:17 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

The propane side of the water heater will ignite without water in the tank.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:09 AM   #8
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The propane side of the water heater will ignite without water in the tank.
Learned something new. I'm assuming it wouldn't cause any damage if it did, unlike the electric side which will burn the element.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:20 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

With no water in the tank, I'm thinking it might warp the tank and maybe crack the lining if it's lined. Can't say I've tried to see what happens, but I have seen the burner ignite without any water in the tank.