Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2017, 07:52 PM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnttom View Post
Thanks Tom. I've been looking at Airstreams for 2 years, so I'm well versed in that religion. But I think there is better value out there somewhere. I'll get there....

Tom & Cathy
As a previous "dues paying Wally Byam Caravanner", I can assure you that it takes some significant 'lifestyle alterations" to full time in an Airstream. It's true that an Airstream tows remarkably well, it has that "mystique" that causes it to "stand out in the crowd", and if you can afford it, you really don't need to compromise on which tow vehicle you decide to use.

That said, there are some drawbacks that you won't realize until after you 'sign on the dotted line and can't return it".... Consider those "submarine shaped walls" for instance... Since the curve in at the top, you can forget putting 11" dinner plates in the top cupboards, after the 3rd or 4th plate, if you stack any more, they "grow toward the door" and the cabinet won't close. Blame those "curved outside walls".... There are other "issues" that go along with not having slides, feeling like you're in a "sausage skin" when you're stuck inside all day because of nasty weather, and forget going to CW or any RV parts store (except an Airstream dealer) for most replacement parts. From awning rails to converters, it's all pretty much a 'special order" to find a replacement for anything that breaks.

Yup, they're great, have a fantastic reputation (except for the years when Brunswick, of bowling ball fame, owned them).... Think long and hard about Airstreams, they're a heck of a lot of money and the mystique fades faster than the payments !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:15 AM   #42
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I own the Impact 312 bumper pull. It's not the 5vr quality but it is very nice. Lots of room for the wife and I and two large fur kids. It is well equipped, well built, and does well for us. I don't consider it a down grade. Some time in the future there is a 5vr in our future but that's at least 4 years away. Till then we are enjoying the extra garage space, our patio deck, and taking our motorcycle with us. We really like this trailer.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #43
capnttom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
I own the Impact 312 bumper pull. It's not the 5vr quality but it is very nice. Lots of room for the wife and I and two large fur kids. It is well equipped, well built, and does well for us. I don't consider it a down grade. Some time in the future there is a 5vr in our future but that's at least 4 years away. Till then we are enjoying the extra garage space, our patio deck, and taking our motorcycle with us. We really like this trailer.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
Thanks Chip. DW likes the toy haulers and thinks our dogs would like it too. Do you have the patio? Have you compared the Impact with the Carbon? We don't haul toys, so gas tanks and related stuff not necessary.

Tom & Cathy
capnttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #44
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

We have the patio and love it. It gives a place for the dogs to hang out. The carbon is similar bur is a step down on the hierarchy. Both are nice. I was able to get the Impact from my preferred dealer who is only 2 miles from my house. Both were nice and we liked them equally.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #45
capnttom

I wanted to thank everybody for your opinions. I've decided to purchase an Alpine 3400 RS and will take delivery on Thursday.

Thanks again,
Tom & Cathy
capnttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:25 PM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnttom View Post
I wanted to thank everybody for your opinions. I've decided to purchase an Alpine 3400 RS and will take delivery on Thursday.

Thanks again,
Tom & Cathy

Congratulations on your purchase! Obviously you've read all the posts and hopefully done your homework. The pin weight on that trailer will be north of 3000 lbs. when loaded. Your current truck will probably be well overweight when said and done. Good luck.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:51 AM   #47
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
Hey now I'm glad to be able to dream of speculated situations, for your speculated situations when we can't camp in northern climates. After all they are all just that, speculated situations

My one problem, is if it were illegal to be over 10,000 GVWR with a 3/4 ton truck why is the DOT weighing trucks at the weigh station by the GAWR's and not the GVWR, and why are all these contractors 3/4 ton trucks not sitting in the weigh station? If I get taken to the cleaners I will just list the Wisconsin Dot as a Defendant. Pretty sure that the state has plenty of legal power to fight my case.

In the meantime I know that I'm on the Homegrown Domestic Terrorist Watch-list for pulling my 5th wheel RV with my 3/4 ton truck.

No dog in the fight as I'm well under every number and really not concerned what others do as long as it only affects them. However, last week I heard for the 2nd time there is talk in the FL state house of having RVs hit the scales. Not enough support yet for it to be serious but waiting for one accident big enough to make news statewide or more and it will be seriously discussed. Rumors are not worth much but all states are looking for more revenue. I'd pay no attention unless in the market for a new TV.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #48
notanlines

CapnJohn, the roads to Texas and Arizona will be flooded if that were to happen. Wanna see some hostile people? Look at RV park owners if that happens.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #49
JRTJH
Site Team

I bet the campsite prices go down to an acceptable level if it happens... There's a silver lining in every dark cloud.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone